CC IT student looking into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnCucumber

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm typing this from my phone so sorry about any typos

I'm currently a CC student enrolled for an associates IT degree. My general education goes up from failing basic algebra to college algebra with an A, College English 101, and History 11 and Bio 003. It's the basics for an associates degree in my school. The rest of my classes are IT related. All my grades excluding the basic algebra course I initially took since have been A's and B's.

My GPA is a 3.2 but from what I've heard the non college level math course I took wouldn't even transfer over to a four year so it should not affect my undergrad GPA.

My question for you SDN folks is what are the steps I need to take from where I am now to get to med school. I am almost 20 if that matters.

From my research I've noted I must obtain a bachelor's with an above 3.2 GPA to even consider applying for med school.
Tons of hours doing ECs
The prerequisites in the sciences with a good GPA .
And a decent MCAT score.

Med school has never really come up as a possibility for me simply because in high school I was a below average student due to procrastination but I've come to see that I have potential when I apply myself.

Any tips fellas?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm typing this from my phone so sorry about any typos

I'm currently a CC student enrolled for an associates IT degree. My general education goes up from failing basic algebra to college algebra with an A, College English 101, and History 11 and Bio 003. It's the basics for an associates degree in my school. The rest of my classes are IT related. All my grades excluding the basic algebra course I initially took since have been A's and B's.

My GPA is a 3.2 but from what I've heard the non college level math course I took wouldn't even transfer over to a four year so it should not affect my undergrad GPA.

My question for you SDN folks is what are the steps I need to take from where I am now to get to med school. I am almost 20 if that matters.

From my research I've noted I must obtain a bachelor's with an above 3.2 GPA to even consider applying for med school.
Tons of hours doing ECs
The prerequisites in the sciences with a good GPA .
And a decent MCAT score.

Med school has never really come up as a possibility for me simply because in high school I was a below average student due to procrastination but I've come to see that I have potential when I apply myself.

Any tips fellas?
I'm not too far off from where you are, but if you've done some preliminary research into the med school route, you already know your gpas, both c and s should be around 3.6, good mcat score, good ec's and a reasonable amount of research exposure, plus good lors. Good luck.