Non traditional US applicant looking into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyamiloling

Reaction score
I'm strongly considering applying to med school for entry in 2024 and am a non traditional applicant since I graduated from college 7 years ago. I did bioengineering undergrad (Stanford / MIT), I did cancer research for most of my time in college and have a high impact publication (Science / Nature / PNAS), and I also got an MBA (Stanford / MIT / Harvard).

I've worked for a couple years after my MBA as a consultant (McKinsey / Bain / BCG) and realize the overall career path is not what I want. I'm looking for more career fulfillment, enjoy helping people, and have family concerns that make me want to go back to the medical field. Please let me know your thoughts about how feasible this plan is - I know the story will be tough to sell. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your undergraduate cGPA and sGPA ? What are your MCAT scores ? Do you have any in person physician shadowing hours, clinical volunteering hours with patient contact or non clinical volunteering and how many hours in each ?

Reactions: 1 user
I had a 3.7 GPA in college and got a 35 on the old MCAT but the score is long expired. I haven’t done any physician shadowing or clinical volunteering since college as well. I was premed for a bit in college

Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to need to retake the MCAT
Get in more clinical exposure AND nonclinical volunteering. You need to do this to show you're not suffering from the "grass is greeener" syndrome, or simply fleeing a bad job/career or job environment.

You can get into medical school. But ... you can help people working for McKinsey et. al.
I would recommend you consider the similarities between your current corporate situation and the state of medicine today before making any changes.