CC J1 waiver

Discussion in 'Critical Care' started by CCM12, Nov 5, 2018.

1. CCM12

How difficult is to find a J1 waiver for only CC? I will start my CC fellowship next year and I hope I won’t regret turning down a descent chance of matching in pulm/crit

2. CCM2017

Physician Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There are J1 jobs out there. Start looking in the middle of your first year of fellowship. As long as you are flexible on location you will find something.

CCM12 likes this.
  3. tartesos

tartesos Medalaganario
    Physician Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You will find something. You might regret lacking Pulm 30 yrs from now but not for lack of waiver job.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

CCM12 likes this.
  4. GAAA

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree with previous posts, there are J1 waiver jobs for CC but you have to look early. And if you do additional neuro or cardiac CC it will give you even more options.

I started emailing potential employers in September (152 to be precise). After a lot of back and forth, 10 places were welling to pursue the waiver. I ended up picking from 4 options, one of them was in Brooklyn!!
    Finally, have a back up plan like extra year of fellowship because if your application is delayed and not in immigration you are going to be out of status. The reason I say that is if your DS expires before the state department sends your papers to immigration your application will be void and you will have to leave the country.

Good luck

tartesos and CCM12 like this.
  5. CCM2017

Physician Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Unless you are referring to cardiothoracic anesthesiology combined with CCM, "cardiac critical care" is separate fellowships in cardiology & CCM - at least according to COCATS. An unaccredited "cardiac critical care" fellowship does exist at Hopkins - keyword is unaccredited. Regardless, jobs are non-existent outside academia and scarce in academia.

Neurocritical care jobs are also scarce in general but continue to exist in academics and those are usually looking for neurologists. Since there are barely any real neuro ICUs outside academics...

Don't waste your time with additional fellowships if you just want to find a J1 job in the community.

#5 CCM2017, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    CCM12 likes this.
  6. CCM12

Thank you very much. A waiver in brooklyn is amazing. I wish I have a chance like that

#6 CCM12, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  7. CCM12

I totally agree. My main reason why I wanted a pure cc fellowship is to shorten the training as much as I can and I’m not into outpatient anyway. I got 7 interviews for pulm crit but I have a family and I’ve been in training for the past 9 years (in my country and here) so I accepted the offer. I hope the training in a top program would help me get a good waiver job

8. GAAA

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I understand the misunderstanding in what I said!
    When I said "additional" I meant additional rotations not years. In my CCM fellowship I did 5 month SICU (mandatory), 3 CTICU (2 of them were elective), 1 Neuro/MICU/CCU each and one elective. Now I work in a CTICU.
    During my search (which was 09/2016) I found multiple privet practices who were looking for ICU coverage and they were in underserved counties. Also, there are academic centers in underserved counties which will have better leverage with the state to issue a waiver. Once you get your waiver and do your time, then you could look for a job in a more appropriate setting if you don't like where you are.

As for "Neuro ICUs not taking other then Neurologist trained CCM", it could be that most of them are like that, but I know a few that well take anyone CCM traned with interest in Neuro (i.e. additional rotations). If you want PM me and I'll give you the centers I know of. Same thing with cardiac surgery ICUs. Bottom line, these surgeons will let you take care of their patients, so they can sleep, as long as you do what they want (most of the time)!!

Also, I want to emphasize that I applied to 152 positions that I felt could help with waivers based on their county and/or academia. Don't hold me to this number, but I think I went through more then 500 listings for positions.

Good luck
    G

9. chocomorsel

chocomorsel Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The 152 numbers sounds insane. Holy wow.
    Glad you got a good position though wherever you ended up. I have been on three interviews and have a few more and already getting tired of interviewing.