CC only trained docs, what's your practice setup/lifestyle like now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espressso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who trained in strict CCM and not pccm or neph or id-crit, what is your practice schedule like now? It is typically 7on 7off for ccm only docs? Do you do locum work? Do you work 14-18 shifts a month with some nights sprinkled in? I'm curious how it will look like in the end if I go down the CCM only route. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Most work 14-15 shifts a month. I don’t do any nights in house currently but take call from home. Most ID/nephro CCM folks practice full time CCM as blended opportunities are rare, and critical care generally pays better. Locum is very lucrative right now and pays at least twice the amount permanent pays.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm 7 on 7 off. Every now and again theres a 7 stretch of nights. Plenty of open shifts to pick up if you want extra money so I don't do locums. I really like it. I'd much prefer this to 9-5 M-F, no call or weekends But that's just me. 7 days off every other week is really hard to beat.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 7 on 7 off. Every now and again theres a 7 stretch of nights. Plenty of open shifts to pick up if you want extra money so I don't do locums. I really like it. I'd much prefer this to 9-5 M-F, no call or weekends But that's just me. 7 days off every other week is really hard to beat.
7 on 7 off, nights, 140 shifts per year. On a stretch now of 17 days of work total in next 75 days.

Reactions: 2 users
For those working 7 on and 7 off. How do you like that schedule, working 1/2 the weekends throughout the year? How many get PTO on top of that? Able to clump shifts, say do 10-14 on followed by 14 off?

7 on/off has its pros and cons. I don't hate it or love it, its ok. If I need more than 7 off, I can usually exchange days with someone to get more time off. Most gigs don't provide PTO, which is total bull**** because you end up working an avg of 42h/wk with no time off.

Reactions: 1 user
15 shifts per month minimum. If the chance comes up and I want to pick up an extra shift I can. One hospital includes night call and the other 2 do not, they are covered by tele-intensivist.

15 shifts per month minimum. If the chance comes up and I want to pick up an extra shift I can. One hospital includes night call and the other 2 do not, they are covered by tele-intensivist.

What are you getting for compensation for that schedule? I’ve been looking at some jobs that are 14/month, not a ton less but still one less day each month.

7 on/off has its pros and cons. I don't hate it or love it, its ok. If I need more than 7 off, I can usually exchange days with someone to get more time off. Most gigs don't provide PTO, which is total bull**** because you end up working an avg of 42h/wk with no time off.
Well that’s why we shouldn’t accept these gigs.

Wow these comments are super insightful. Thank you all. It makes me much more intrigued on applying CCM only rather than feeling like I have to apply PCCM.

Follow-up question: is it kosher to apply to both PCCM and CCM in a given cycle? What about for programs that have both PCCM and CCM spots. For those hospitals with dual programs, would you only apply to one of the two (PCCM vs CCM)?

Wow these comments are super insightful. Thank you all. It makes me much more intrigued on applying CCM only rather than feeling like I have to apply PCCM.

Follow-up question: is it kosher to apply to both PCCM and CCM in a given cycle? What about for programs that have both PCCM and CCM spots. For those hospitals with dual programs, would you only apply to one of the two (PCCM vs CCM)?
EM-CCM new grad.
Got lucky and found a gig at a new CSICU taking care of post cardiac surgery patients. Our patient load is pretty light right now. I work 12-13 shifts a month, days only, and so far no weekends but likely one weekend per month in the future.

I also signed up for a per-diem gig at another smaller community gig nearby for one weekend per month.

In terms of applying, I would definitely not apply to PCCM and CCM to the same institution, especially if they are separate departments (as is the case in my fellowship). They'll see it as you trying to shotgun without commitment. Remember you can always do pulm after CCM and vice versa; the total will still be 3 years anyways. I've only done CCM so I can't give you advice about CCM v PCCM.

Good luck!

Not true.
Care to elaborate? I had always thought that you could do pulm after a CCM fellowship and vice versa. Excluding surgery, anesthesia, and EM grads of course.

Care to elaborate? I had always thought that you could do pulm after a CCM fellowship and vice versa. Excluding surgery, anesthesia, and EM grads of course.
  • Pulm fellowships are 2 years in duration.
  • Pulm & CCM combined fellowships are 3 years in duration.
  • CCM (IM) fellowships are 2 years in duration; 1 year if one has already completed an eligible 2 or 3 year IM subspecialty fellowship (Nephro/ID/Card).
  • One could technically do a 2 year Pulmonary fellowship followed by a 1 year CCM (IM) fellowship. But after a 2 year CCM (IM) fellowship, one would need a 2 year Pulmonary fellowship to be board eligible.

Reactions: 4 users
  • Pulm fellowships are 2 years in duration.
  • Pulm & CCM combined fellowships are 3 years in duration.
  • CCM (IM) fellowships are 2 years in duration; 1 year if one has already completed an eligible 2 or 3 year IM subspecialty fellowship (Nephro/ID/Card).
  • One could technically do a 2 year Pulmonary fellowship followed by a 1 year CCM (IM) fellowship. But after a 2 year CCM (IM) fellowship, one would need a 2 year Pulmonary fellowship to be board eligible.
I didnt know that you have to do a 2 year pulm fellowship after CCM. Thanks