CC paramedic to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emtpguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All :), I'm new on the boards and had a question that I thought someone could help me out with; I was never a stellar student in high school but always had a fascination with medicine and ended up going to a community college when high school ended. I joined the schools's paramedic program that gave me an AS in paramedic/ALS sciences but the one nice thing about this program is that the college had a partnership with Widener University that would let me transfer ALL of my credits from my ALS degree toward a BS in health sciences. I completed the program and am currently at Widener in the last part of my junior year. I have really enjoyed my course work and becoming a paramedic but I really long to become a physician. My GPA is 4.0 with a science GPA of 3.9. My MCAT score is 40 and I have a very large volunteering background but no research done at all. is it possible (that even though I went to a community college in the begining) to get the other things in line and possible try for US/DO medical schools? Thanks a lot!
-Dave

Members don't see this ad.

I have never heard of that university but if you really have a 40 MCAT score and are a paramedic I think you can write your ticket to med school right now.
Go ahead and try.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have those numbers and a background like that, dont worry about the CC credits.... I went to a CC and I got in, albeit my GPA was right around yours but your MCAT is stellar. If your seriously worried about not getting in, Xanex is an option :thumbup:

dude I hate to say it but REALLY, no doubting but 40...didn't you figure out a little earlier when Paramedic courses were a joke that you wanted to pursue more, no offense I'm an EMT - Intermediate (Advanced EMT (IV))) and going back for med school after being an airline pilot, trust me I know when sh*ts easy, so a 40 MCAT either impressive or you're fishing for something....

As long as you have all the prerequisite classes done.. the hardest thing will be picking your school.

I did the same thing. I was a paramedic, then went to a CC for the first 2 years, then a transfer to finish my degree.. About to graduate in 2 months :)

It really does give you a great background.

dude I hate to say it but REALLY, no doubting but 40...didn't you figure out a little earlier when Paramedic courses were a joke that you wanted to pursue more, no offense I'm an EMT - Intermediate (Advanced EMT (IV))) and going back for med school after being an airline pilot, trust me I know when sh*ts easy, so a 40 MCAT either impressive or you're fishing for something....

What is so hard to believe? You don't believe that he started as a paramedic and continued on to finish a degree in order to go to med school?? That paragraph is a little hard to understand, you do know there is a writing section on the MCAT right? I think you're going to be in trouble.

Dude, with a science GPA of 3.9 and a 40 on the MCAT, you'll have no problem getting into med school. Just make sure that you have all of the pre-reqs (o-chem, physics...). My core credits (57) for paramedic did not meet the pre-reqs.

good luck.

Dude, I applied after being out of undergrad for 10 years, I got BS in Forensic Sci/Chem with only average grades, then went to medic school and worked as firefighter/medic and critical care paramedic.

Overall GPA 3.668 Sci 3.3 and a horrible MCAT (23Q). Believe me, If I can get in....anyone can. Good luck.

really.. i mean really are you serious.. myself a medic i know that you have at least hit up one er doc for an opinion... if you really got a 40 on the mcat why are you a health science major ... really... seriously... do you even have to show up to class??? as a medic you already have more experience then most 2nd year residents so don't worry about it... seriously.. at some of the hospitals where ive brought in pts in full arrest the doc will leave the room and let us run it... no doubt you've experienced the same thing..

don't worry and just apply.. then all you'll have to do is figure out which school you want to grace with your presence.