Does taking courses at CC after transferring look bad for grad admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socalforever

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm currently applying for nursing schools right now. I wasn't able to find a nursing forum as in-depth as SDN, so I decided to post here and maybe y'all can give me advice.

I'm a community college transfer to UC San Diego, currently in my last year and will be graduating this upcoming June. My BA is in Psychology and minor in Global Health. I've heard that grad schools do not stigmatize CC courses taken pre-transfer, but they might think it's odd if you take CC courses while already at a 4-year university.

I took 3 nursing prerequisites at CC after transferring to UCSD. They were the Anatomy & Physiology series, Nutrition, and Microbiology. My reasons for not taking them at UCSD are as follows:

1) UCSD does not offer an Anatomy & Physiology series
2) UCSD only offers Nutrition in winter quarter. Last year was my first year here, so I was not aware of this caveat until winter quarter was in full swing. I didn't want to have a prerequisite that wasn't at least in progress when I applied, so I took that at CC this summer.
3) UCSD uses a quarter system, while CC uses a semester system. I started taking biology courses at CC and due to the discrepancy in quarter/semester credits, I'd need to take an extra course before I can take Microbiology at UCSD. At CC, I can go directly into Microbiology.

I have a 3.9 GPA at UCSD, so it's not like I'm struggling post-transfer. I took Organic Chemistry at UCSD, which I repeated but got an A in the second time, but that's the only science class I've taken here (besides Epidemiology, but I'm not sure if that counts).

Is this something I should explain on the addendum section of my application? Will it seem like I took science courses at CC as an "easy way out"? Do nursing schools even care about this? If they don't, I don't want to explain something that doesn't need to be explained.

That was a lot, I hope I explained it clearly. Open to any guidance. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to nursing schools, but I would imagine that academic nursing has similar views to most medical schools. Given that you are not struggling with classes at a 4-year-institution, I would not worry too much about it. My personal experience is that if you obsess over the small things, it can actually backfire in the admissions process. As long as your coursework reflects similar grades at both institutions, I wouldn't mention it.

Reactions: 1 user