cc vs 4 year university. How much does it matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tufts is anti-cc credits.

Members don't see this ad.

LOL This is EXACTLY my point. These med kids are SMART enough to do their research ahead of time and know the consequences of their decisions. They understand the fact that going to a carib school greatly limits their options.

These kids who go to CC schools and want to become a dentist HAVE NOT done their research otherwise they would know that CC credits LIMIT them at many of the dental schools they would like to apply to.

What do you think those residency programs will say to those carib med kids when they play the ignorance card, "i didnt know going to carib schools would affect my chances at your program..." or "i didnt think i would specialize until halfway through med school..."??? They wouldnt care at all, and you would agree with their decision would you not? Why would this be any different with dental schools about kids who went to CC when these dental schools have had their requirements set a decade ago??

This person is so arrogant it's ridiculous. Keeps talking about Caribbean Med Schools and radiologists...no one can figure out why. Can't get it through his head that not every 18 chooses CC over a university...some HAVE TO GO. They may have life adversity beyond any of our comprehension and CC is a stepping stone. Or they're non-traditional students working full time. I would choose this individual over your sense of entitlement. By the way, going to a university is no big deal...there are thousands in America alone....anyone can go...just like a CC.

By the way, in response to your CC comment. I went to a university consistently ranked in the Top 10....then I took classes at CC. Now I know those ranking are worthless. The CC education was better than my grad student teacher at a university. Get over yourself, not every 18 year has the option or the foresight to know exactly what they want to do for the rest of their life......let's not hold that against them, it means they're normal.

This person is so arrogant it's ridiculous. Keeps talking about Caribbean Med Schools and radiologists...no one can figure out why. Can't get it through his head that not every 18 chooses CC over a university...some HAVE TO GO. They may have life adversity beyond any of our comprehension and CC is a stepping stone. Or they're non-traditional students working full time. I would choose this individual over your sense of entitlement. By the way, going to a university is no big deal...there are thousands in America alone....anyone can go...just like a CC.

By the way, in response to your CC comment. I went to a university consistently ranked in the Top 10....then I took classes at CC. Now I know those ranking are worthless. The CC education was better than my grad student teacher at a university. Get over yourself, not every 18 year has the option or the foresight to know exactly what they want to do for the rest of their life......let's not hold that against them, it means they're normal.

You're an idiot who can't comprehend simple logic. You're lucky the DAT RC section is nothing like the MCAT verbal section because you can't recognize an anology to save your life. Take a second to catch your breath so you can actually understand what you are reading.

Dental schools have had their requirements set up for over a decade now, and it rarely changes. If a person attends a CC for personal reasons but then decided to attend dental school and the dental school does not accept CC credit, IT IS THAT PERSON'S RESPONSIBILITY to meet those requirements even if it means transferring and redoing ALL those non-accepted credits. If you use financial reasons as a defense as to why you cannot meet the dental school's requirements, THEN HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PAY FOR DENTAL SCHOOL WHICH COSTS MUCH, MUCH more? You can take out loans for both, and unsubsidized federal loans are available for EVERYONE. If going to a university is no big deal as you say, THEN GO TO IT and stop complaining that schools won't take your CC credit. If you can apply to a school that takes CC credits, then awesome, you can do well to get in. BUT that does not mean you can complain about how UNFAIR the process is at other schools that DO NOT take CC credits because of your own ignorance. It's not so much that I think CC people suck, its more like it becomes unbelivably annoying when they complain when they find out at the last second while applying that schools won't accept their credits.

A person who has CC credits that is not accepted at a dental school has no right to criticize that school because of their own ignorance in a similar manner to carib med graduates having no right to critize residency programs because of their own ignorance (using this example because even CC people seem to agree more that carib med schools are of "lower" quality even when they fail to see the same thing in a CC vs University debate). Carib med schools are almost universally regarded as "lesser quality" than US med schools even though they are better than some of the med schools out there, and CCs are almost universally regarded as "lesser quality" than universities even though they are better than some 4 year universities out there, whch is why these "restrictions" are in place by these residency programs and dental schools out there. What is so hard to understand about this comparison?

Would you say, honestly, that on average, a community college is of "lesser quality" than a 4 year university? If you say no, then you're either delusional, in deeeep denial, or are just a liar and in which case you want to pay more attention to that dental ethics class you will be taking soon.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
American and CMD.... your argument is really pointless... and although i concede to both points of view, nothing is really learned from either.

Again... where you went to college is so incredibly minor in the decision making process, that its almost negligible. Ok, ok i guess by some crazy feat of nature you had 2 students that were identical in every single way possible ie: GPA, DAT, EC's, shadowing, interview, etc then the upper hand might go to the person who has 4 years at a uni vs a cc. But even then.... how adcoms make their decision is beyond any of us. Sure generalizations can be made, but when it comes to something this minute?!! Its anybodies guess... what if the dean or interviewer used to teach or go to a cc... who might have the advantage?!! Every circumstance is different, there is no straight line, just gray area.

Further more... i must say that there are really only 2 D schools that will absolutely not accept cc credits. That still leaves 30+ to apply to... the odds are still just fine.

Bottom line.... GPA + DAT + EC + Interview = D school..... tier/difficulty of school is hardly a factor. That's what Law and Bus schools are for.

Cheers!! :D

American and CMD.... your argument is really pointless... and although i concede to both points of view, nothing is really learned from either.

Again... where you went to college is so incredibly minor in the decision making process, that its almost negligible. Ok, ok i guess by some crazy feat of nature you had 2 students that were identical in every single way possible ie: GPA, DAT, EC's, shadowing, interview, etc then the upper hand might go to the person who has 4 years at a uni vs a cc. But even then.... how adcoms make their decision is beyond any of us. Sure generalizations can be made, but when it comes to something this minute?!! Its anybodies guess... what if the dean or interviewer used to teach or go to a cc... who might have the advantage?!! Every circumstance is different, there is no straight line, just gray area.

Further more... i must say that there are really only 2 D schools that will absolutely not accept cc credits. That still leaves 30+ to apply to... the odds are still just fine.

Bottom line.... GPA + DAT + EC + Interview = D school..... tier/difficulty of school is hardly a factor. That's what Law and Bus schools are for.

Cheers!! :D

I agree.

You're an idiot who can't comprehend simple logic. You're lucky the DAT RC section is nothing like the MCAT verbal section because you can't recognize an anology to save your life. Take a second to catch your breath so you can actually understand what you are reading.

Dental schools have had their requirements set up for over a decade now, and it rarely changes. If a person attends a CC for personal reasons but then decided to attend dental school and the dental school does not accept CC credit, IT IS THAT PERSON'S RESPONSIBILITY to meet those requirements even if it means transferring and redoing ALL those non-accepted credits. If you use financial reasons as a defense as to why you cannot meet the dental school's requirements, THEN HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PAY FOR DENTAL SCHOOL WHICH COSTS MUCH, MUCH more? You can take out loans for both, and unsubsidized federal loans are available for EVERYONE. If going to a university is no big deal as you say, THEN GO TO IT and stop complaining that schools won't take your CC credit. If you can apply to a school that takes CC credits, then awesome, you can do well to get in. BUT that does not mean you can complain about how UNFAIR the process is at other schools that DO NOT take CC credits because of your own ignorance. It's not so much that I think CC people suck, its more like it becomes unbelivably annoying when they complain when they find out at the last second while applying that schools won't accept their credits.

A person who has CC credits that is not accepted at a dental school has no right to criticize that school because of their own ignorance in a similar manner to carib med graduates having no right to critize residency programs because of their own ignorance (using this example because even CC people seem to agree more that carib med schools are of "lower" quality even when they fail to see the same thing in a CC vs University debate). Carib med schools are almost universally regarded as "lesser quality" than US med schools even though they are better than some of the med schools out there, and CCs are almost universally regarded as "lesser quality" than universities even though they are better than some 4 year universities out there, whch is why these "restrictions" are in place by these residency programs and dental schools out there. What is so hard to understand about this comparison?

Would you say, honestly, that on average, a community college is of "lesser quality" than a 4 year university? If you say no, then you're either delusional, in deeeep denial, or are just a liar and in which case you want to pay more attention to that dental ethics class you will be taking soon.

Dude seriously? There is not a SINGLE carib medical school that is regarded as better than a US allopathic school, it's just the cold hard truth. Every US school has MUCH MUCH better success in the match than every Carib school, even those of the big four. If this isn't an indication of higher quality, than I don't know what is. After all, isn't the point of going to medical school to be able to PRACTICE medicine? Some SGU or Ross grads can't even practice medicine in the states, or they end up in ****ty family med residencies that are left over from the match.

I don't even know why I'm talking about this. Apologies to the OP.

Dude seriously? There is not a SINGLE carib medical school that is regarded as better than a US allopathic school, it's just the cold hard truth. Every US school has MUCH MUCH better success in the match than every Carib school, even those of the big four. If this isn't an indication of higher quality, than I don't know what is. After all, isn't the point of going to medical school to be able to PRACTICE medicine? Some SGU or Ross grads can't even practice medicine in the states, or they end up in ****ty family med residencies that are left over from the match.

I don't even know why I'm talking about this. Apologies to the OP.

Why do you look down upon carib med school students so much? Do you HATE them or something?

If you found out your doctor graduated from a carib med school, would you look down upon him or think any less of how he is taking care of you. I dont get why you preach soo hard that a CC offers the same quality education as a Univeristy but ague so strongly that a carib med school education is so "low quality" compared to a US med school. Enlighten me on the distiction between the two. Does not getting into a residency program even though you finished in the top 5% of your class just because you went to a carib med school a indicator of the quality of education of the carib med schools as you say it is, or just evidence of discrimination by us residency programs (a la tufts and cc students wink wink)

In the end, when they both start practicing, aren't those "MD"s at the end of their name equivalent? Does a carib med school student do less quality work than a US med school student? Theyre both gonna complete their residencies in the US anyways before they start practing so I don't see why you think carribean med schools are so "low quality" and produce "lower quality doctors" compared to US med schools

Last edited:
Why do you look down upon carib med school students so much? Do you HATE them or something?

If you found out your doctor graduated from a carib med school, would you look down upon him or think any less of how he is taking care of you. I dont get why you preach soo hard that a CC offers the same quality education as a Univeristy but ague so strongly that a carib med school education is so "low quality" compared to a US med school. Enlighten me on the distiction between the two. Does not getting into a residency program even though you finished in the top 5% of your class just because you went to a carib med school a indicator of the quality of education of the carib med schools as you say it is, or just evidence of discrimination by us residency programs (a la tufts and cc students wink wink)

In the end, when they both start practicing, aren't those "MD"s at the end of their name equivalent? Does a carib med school student do less quality work than a US med school student? Theyre both gonna complete their residencies in the US anyways before they start practing so I don't see why you think carribean med schools are so "low quality" and produce "lower quality doctors" compared to US med schools

Please tell me where I "preached so hard that a CC offers the same quality education as a University." I never said anything of that nature. I wasn't arguing one way or another, if you had actually read my posts. Hell, I didn't even GO to a CC (on the contrary, I went to a top university). I am simply arguing the legitimacy of the question at hand, not whether one is better than the other.

Also, I do not hate Carib medical schools. I am merely stating facts. Carib medical schools ARE inferior to their american counterparts. There is no question and everyone in the medical community will tell you the same thing. The problem is, you just don't know enough about the topic to be commenting on it.

Also, I do not hate Carib medical schools. I am merely stating facts. Carib medical schools ARE inferior to their american counterparts. There is no question and everyone in the medical community will tell you the same thing. The problem is, you just don't know enough about the topic to be commenting on it.

LOLOLOL show me facts of this. Show me concrete facts that a graduate of a carib med school is less qualified to be a doctor than a graduate of a us med school. show me proof that carib med school graduates are inferior and have higher malpractice insurance to pay becuase they make more mistakes and are sued more than doctors graduating from US med schools. using your standards, everyone in the working community will tell you CCs are inferior to their university counterpart. I've never seen any job take someone with a associates degree from a CC over someone with a BS from a university.
you make assumptions for carib med students, yet at the same time you say those same assumptions cannot be made about cc students

LOLOLOL show me facts of this. Show me concrete facts that a graduate of a carib med school is less qualified to be a doctor than a graduate of a us med school. show me proof that carib med school graduates are inferior and have higher malpractice insurance to pay becuase they make more mistakes and are sued more than doctors graduating from US med schools

you make assumptions for carib med students, yet at the same time you say those same assumptions cannot be made about cc students

I am not going to scour the web for you to find facts, you can do that yourself on ValueMD.com or on SDN. I promise you the consensus will always be the same. Clearly, you haven't done enough research if you are so thoroughly convinced that carib schools are just as good US MD schools. Or you have some sort of connection to carib schools.

I am not going to scour the web for you to find facts, you can do that yourself on ValueMD.com or on SDN. I promise you the consensus will always be the same. Clearly, you haven't done enough research if you are so thoroughly convinced that carib schools are just as good US MD schools. Or you have some sort of connection to carib schools.

I CAN do a poll SDN and im sure everyone will say US med schools are better than carib med schools (and therefore produce more-qualified doctors) EXCEPT for some select few who went to carib med schools who feel your skills at practicing medicine are the same regardless of school

I CAN and also have done a poll on SDN and everyone have said that a 4 year university is better than a community college EXCEPT for.... you guessed it, some select few who went to community colleges and feel the quality of education they receive is the same regardless of school

So whats your point? how do you not see that these are two very similar situations and you are arguing the complete opposite for both. if youre gonna go one way or the other, at least stay consistent. Im sure at this point you have realized this point and youre just arguing to argue and try to save face.

Last edited:
I CAN do a poll SDN and im sure everyone will say US med schools are better than carib med schools (and therefore produce more qualified doctors) EXCEPT for some select few who went to carib med schools.

I CAN and also have done a poll on SDN and everyone have said that a 4 year university is better than a community college EXCEPT for.... you guessed it, some select few who went to community colleges.

So whats your point? how do you not see that these are two very similar situations and you are arguing the complete opposite for both. if youre gonna go one way or the other, at least stay consistent. Im sure at this point you have realized this point and youre just arguing to argue and try to save face.

Well, hey, several people agreed with me. On the other hand, no one agreed with you.

Also, still waiting for you to show me where I preached about the superiority of CC over University.

Gotta go, gotta save face.

Well, hey, several people agreed with me. On the other hand, no one agreed with you.

Also, still waiting for you to show me where I preached about the superiority of CC over University.

Gotta go, gotta save face.

lol no one has agreed with you except for the select few that went to CCs (big surprise). I made a poll and you've already become accustomed to it so pop in there and check in on what the SDN public thinks about CC vs University again.

I think people should be man enough to admit when theyre wrong instead of dragging on and on in denial.

Doctors from carib med schools are less qualified doctors than doctors from US med schools but CCs are as good as Universitys. Amazing logic thats not biased at all. Pick one view or the other so you dont contridict yourself constantly .

That is all.

Wow!!
Thanks for all the great posts. let me give you a little bit more info. After cc, i transferred to university of maryland, which i believe is among top public schools in the nation, so no questions about the reputation, hopefully:) . the reason that i went to cc was NOT because i was not academically able to attend in a 4 year university. This becomes clearly apparent due to the fact that my maryland gpa was higher than my cc gpa (3.95 vs 3.81) (basically i got A's in all upper level science courses that I took there). I went to cc becasue at the time, i could not simply afford going to a 4 year university. about the DAT, i scored above national average for each section, ending up with a 21 AA and 19 PAT, which i think will be good enough to get me into a dschool.

lol no one has agreed with you except for the select few that went to CCs (big surprise). I made a poll and you've already become accustomed to it so pop in there and check in on what the SDN public thinks about CC vs University again.

I think people should be man enough to admit when theyre wrong instead of dragging on and on in denial.

Doctors from carib med schools are less qualified doctors than doctors from US med schools but CCs are as good as Universitys. Amazing logic thats not biased at all. Pick one view or the other so you dont contridict yourself constantly .

That is all.

Please, for the last time, tell me WHERE I ever said that CC's are as good as Universities. I don't know why you keep saying that. I never said anything like that. Is this how you argue with everyone? Put words in their mouth?

Additionally, where did I EVER say carib doctors are less qualified than US doctors? Never said that either...

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I will say it ONCE more, and that's it. I am NOT debating whether CC's or Universities are better. I am debating the validity and logic behind the question you were asking. Get it? Probably not, but I really can't spell it out for you any more. I could care less if people think CC's are worse than Universities. The poll means nothing to me, as it should because it's poorly designed and not well though out.

Last edited:
Wow!!
Thanks for all the great posts. let me give you a little bit more info. After cc, i transferred to university of maryland, which i believe is among top public schools in the nation, so no questions about the reputation, hopefully:) . the reason that i went to cc was NOT because i was not academically able to attend in a 4 year university. This becomes clearly apparent due to the fact that my maryland gpa was higher than my cc gpa (3.95 vs 3.81) (basically i got A's in all upper level science courses that I took there). I went to cc becasue at the time, i could not simply afford going to a 4 year university. about the DAT, i scored above national average for each section, ending up with a 21 AA and 19 PAT, which i think will be good enough to get me into a dschool.

Wow, great GPA and Scores Shem, I think you'd be a sure bet with decent EC's and a well written personal statement to get plenty of interviews.

And, to everybody else, I just wanted to clarify for those who may not know, because I think there may be some confusion - people from community colleges transfer to universities, and get degrees there.

And, I'd definitely say that the quality of education at a CC can be much higher than at a huge research university - but sure, it can also be lower.