CCF vs. Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeadoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which program is better?

Members don't see this ad.

I hear the Cloverfield monster is going to strike Cleveland next...

-copro

Members don't see this ad :)
the winters are horrible in Cleveland...I lived there for 8 years.

the winters are horrible in Cleveland...I lived there for 8 years.

global warming has done wonders for this. i hear the winters used to be much much worse than they are now. i have noticed a definite improvement, with the winters becoming more mild each year I have been here. With the exception of last years Feb. blizzard.

global warming has done wonders for this. i hear the winters used to be much much worse than they are now. i have noticed a definite improvement, with the winters becoming more mild each year I have been here. With the exception of last years Feb. blizzard.

Human-caused Global Warming is an unproven hypothesis. Current observations are intimately linked and more easily explained by the El Nino Southern Oscillation phenomenon and variations in the solar cycle.

In other words, don't count on it being balmy while you complete your residency there. That, and the Cloverfield monster has its sights set on Cleveland...

-copro

Human-caused Global Warming is an unproven hypothesis. Current observations are intimately linked and more easily explained by the El Nino Southern Oscillation phenomenon and variations in the solar cycle.

In other words, don't count on it being balmy while you complete your residency there. That, and the Cloverfield monster has its sights set on Cleveland...

-copro

I NEVER said balmy. Folks, please don't think I am likening Cleveland's winter weather to Florida's. No death threats after arriving and experiencing the first winter. All I am saying is that it has definitely gotten less cold on average and we have been getting much less snow than usual (i.e. in past years), for whatever reason.

-fin

Gasem is right I have lived here 24 yrs

Gasem is right I have lived here 24 yrs

Hmmm... apparently you guys have completed blocked-out the year 2005...

New Snowfall Record Set
By Forecaster Mike Stone
UPDATED: 6:37 pm EDT April 3, 2005

The snow total for this season has now reached 105.3 inches at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport.

A typical snow season produces around 55 to 60 inches of snow in Cleveland. The snowiest season on record was 101.1 inches set in the winter of 1995-96. This season will be the third year in a row making the Top 5 snow seasons.

Prior record years (notice spots 3, 4, and 9).

4247155_320X240.jpg

http://www.weathernet5.com/weather/4247176/detail.html

Funny how the insidious nature of the soundbiting popular media infiltrates our ability to rationally think, isn't it? We hear something repeated enough eventually we stop questioning it and decide it must be true.

Keep your intellectual guards up, puppies. Question everything.

-copro

haha wow you came up with a few yrs congrats of greater snowfall not temperature...you must be proud. But seriously from people who actually live here the winters do seem to be getting shorter and less intense. I am not going to weight in about the merits of global warming because I am not a climatologist. But actually in colder winters you tend to get less snow in cleveland because the lake freezes over completely and there is less lake effect. More snow tends to mean it was a warmer winter.

haha wow you came up with a few yrs congrats of greater snowfall not temperature...you must be proud.

And, you must be a dick. I was specifically responding to this comment:

All I am saying is that it has definitely gotten less cold on average and we have been getting much less snow than usual (i.e. in past years), for whatever reason.

Why do you have a problem with that?

But seriously from people who actually live here the winters do seem to be getting shorter and less intense.

You all are demonstrating a classic case of "confirmation bias". Because (some of) you believe that global warming is real because it's been beaten into you every time you turn on the television, you've lost your ability to be objective. Don't ever lose that. This will transcend every part of your life. And, you will become a sh*tty physician if you do.

I am not going to weight in about the merits of global warming because I am not a climatologist.

Okay...

But actually in colder winters you tend to get less snow in cleveland because the lake freezes over completely and there is less lake effect. More snow tends to mean it was a warmer winter.

... but, then you weigh in... :confused:

By the way, the storm that dumped 35 inches on Cleveland in 2005 was not a lake-effect storm. Facts hurt, don't they. They get in the way of prejudice.

So, fine. Go here:

http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=cle

... and look at the data for yourself. For example, last February it was 9.6 degrees colder (that's Celsius)than average. The rest of the data available is not that far off from long term averages, some greater and some less. In other words, it's nothing more than noise.

You better tighten up that wooly thinking. Otherwise, you're going to get burned on the wards.

-copro

I agree that global warming is crap - it is a foundation from which to enact liberal political agendas.

Using satelite data, the earth is not warming; it is cooling. Using ground station data, it appears to be warming - why? Because they (ground stations) are influenced by urban warmth that is not indicative of the true situation. It may be warmer right there surrounded by concrete and steel, but the earth as a whole is cooling.

A single volcanic eruption produces more green house gases than man has done throughout history. Yet all the volcanoes through time never destroyed the earth - and fossil fuels never will either.

Members don't see this ad :)
And holy crap this thread is derailed.

My impression of Case v. CCF was: better teaching at Case, 'nicer' work environment at Case, more comaraderie at Case. Long hours and more cases at CCF, bigger name at CCF, better chances for fellowships (important if Obama changes health care significantly and the market for gas passers changes significantly) from CCF.

blah blah, screw global warming. screw facts vs fake facts.

I am not from the midwest. I am from the south. a part of the south that NEVER snows. I hate feeling cold. hate, hate, hate it. so I notice when I feel cold vs less cold when being forced to go outside. I have noticed that I feel less cold, more often, in the "winter months", here, in Cleveland, especially this winter, than I have felt prior to this. It still snows, yes, but even the snow we have gotten hasn't been as big of a pain in the *** as in past years. this I measure based on how much of a pain in the *** it is to drive around. when it snows heavily and too fast, the plow trucks dont make it everywhere and you have a crappy drive. this has DEFINITELY happend much fewer times this winter than in the past. I have the same recollection of last winter, with the exception of the ridiculous Feb 14 blizzard.

so say what you will copro, but I am simply sharing my personal experience as someone who ACTUALLY, CURRENTLY lives in Cleveland, and who almost never pays attention to weather reports. i am used to them being crap, given my place of birth and experiences there.

blah blah blah. Both programs are excellent and you guys would be honestly happy at either one.

I agree that global warming is crap - it is a foundation from which to enact liberal political agendas.

i can't honestly say that i've reviewed any of the data whatsoever, but i have a hard time believing the nobel peace prize committee, which not only gave al gore the nobel peace prize, but also honored the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) (made up of researchers from 150 countries who have been studying global warming for 20 years), would really be influenced by partisan politics in the U.S.

rather, i would argue that those of you postulating that it is a farce are truly the ones who are partisan, as you have only significantly raised your collective voice because al gore starting making this topic his life's work.

there may not be global warming, and i have no data either way - although apparently the nobel peace prize committee does - but the discussion has certainly MUCH less to do with politics and MUCH more to do with science.

"Global warming is an increase in the average temperature of Earth's surface. Since the late 1800's, the global average temperature has increased about 0.7 to 1.4 degrees F (0.4 to 0.8 degrees C)" - www.nasa.gov

Now, I'm not saying that burgeoning industry is not a problem with regards to global warming because it may well become increasingly so. I am saying that if you can actually discern a fraction of the 100+ year, 1.4 F climate change over the course of your tens of years in a city, then perhaps medicine is not the career for you.

I'll admit though, it is a great scapegoat for the weather we get. Record snow this year here in West Michigan--stupid global warming. Hurricanes? Tornadoes? Rainfall? Balmy days? It's a one stop shop. Amazing. :)

Nice hijack people.

From Cleveland Anesthesia programs to a heated debate over global warming. Pun....totally intended.

Tight.

I think the take home point is that Cleveland's weather sucks, global warming or not.

fyi, cleveland's winters seem to like to kick in late. way late. like just when u think spring is going to show up, BAM, FRIGGIN BLIZZARD! Damned Cleveland. And to think I just said so many nice things.

i heard there was a big blizzard in ohio....
just how bad is it? :scared:

'course most places on my rank list are going to be a shock compared to palm beach....

i expected u to throw in an ***-e-nine comment.

The word is asinine, as in "your belief in global warming is asinine". I would expect a soon-to-be physician would have better grammar and more rigorous critical thinking skills.

-copro

seemed like last year was a freaky year for weather...i think it was virginia that said they had snow on easter...definately a first for them.
i will miss the weather here in palm beach....but not much else.

The word is asinine, as in "your belief in global warming is asinine". I would expect a soon-to-be physician would have better grammar and more rigorous critical thinking skills.

-copro

it was a joke. stop being a douche. You always have something negative to say. But I guess that is more becoming of a good physician, right copro?

In my opinion, here are the differences btw CCF and Case:

Case - Very nice, down to Earth residents. The chairman, Dr. Nearman, is a very solid guy. Helpful, friendly, and funny. He is well liked and well known, at least in the Midwest(his name was brough up by the chair at Northwestern). The didactics seemed to be pretty good, the faculty are DEFINITELY invested in educating the residents. Most of them are really nice and helpful. University Hospitals is a nice, medium-sized institution. It is big enough to have some space (I hate the tiny feel of community hospitals), but it is not massive like its neighbor down the street. I feel like UH has a very smart group of people, not limited to the Anesthesia dept, who work hard and are friendly. Let's see, what have I left out? The dept takes care of its residents, lots of perks (so say the residents). I know that all of the residents I met while rotating there were very friendly and helpful.

CCF-Has a bad rep from the other Cleveland hospitals (UH and Case Metro). The other two hospitals see it as this massive corporate structure that bought out a lot of local hospitals and is slowly taking over the whole city. When you first see it, it is a bit intimidating. The Clinic is massive. It is also very modern and has some very beautiful hospital areas. In some ways, it does function like a well-oiled machine.

I found the Anesthesia residents at the Clinic to be very friendly. They are a smart group of people, but don't go out of there way to be all snooty like, because they are training at the Cleveland Clinic. They were actually very helpful to me during my rotation there. The Clinic does employ a lot of FMGs as a whole. I don't see this as a bad thing. All of the ones that I met in Internal Med and Anesthesia were very friendly and very, very intelligent. Most, if not all of them, were already physicians back home. In my opinion, they are an essential asset to training. They can help bring the interns up to speed on clinical practice, very quickly. So, basically I love the Clinic also.

I think that both offer excellent clinical training in friendly environments. The Clinic's name will carry you further, if you feel you need that sort of thing. Either way, you will be solidly prepared to be an excellent Anesthesiologist. I do, hate Cleveland, though, and not because of its weather. But that is also a personal decision for you guys to make.

it was a joke. stop being a douche. You always have something negative to say. But I guess that is more becoming of a good physician, right copro?

Awwwwwe... kitty has claws.

dog-kissing-cat-734713.jpg

-copro

Awwwwwe... kitty has claws.

dog-kissing-cat-734713.jpg

-copro

Damnit, I can't hate someone with a seemingly endless supply of cute puppy/kitty/doggie pics. I NEED to work on getting a pet. Stat. The damned blizzard got in the way of that too. Stupid Ohio.