Case logs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maverikk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many people here keep a record of your case logs? What do you include? My job kept them I believe through epreop, now I'm doing locums...jobs asked for them before, another data entry thing for a physician to do :(

Members don't see this ad.

I do. I found that caselogs provided by billers weren't accurate (big university hospital and small PP group), like wildly inaccurate, some said I did hearts, some didn't list that I did any blocks even though I had worked at an ortho hospital and done more than anyone else in the group. I'd provide the billers' copies and my back ups. I created more work for myself, I logged them with the basic info wanted from residency (and if anything really different happened during the case), but then I had a copy to submit for hospitals with less info -- case type, anesthesia type, special procedures, ASA, age, and DOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do. I found that caselogs provided by billers weren't accurate (big university hospital and small PP group), like wildly inaccurate, some said I did hearts, some didn't list that I did any blocks even though I had worked at an ortho hospital and done more than anyone else in the group. I'd provide the billers' copies and my back ups. I created more work for myself, I logged them with the basic info wanted from residency (and if anything really different happened during the case), but then I had a copy to submit for hospitals with less info -- case type, anesthesia type, special procedures, ASA, age, and DOS.

If the billing company or university billed for hearts under your name when you did not do them, that’s billing fraud. And it sounds like they gave away free blocks. It reminds me of NPR’s bill of the month.

Not as an attending. The EMR my group uses is old and non-functional. One locums group demanded one, so I made an excel spreadsheet and did guestimates of the numbers of cases I did. Importantly, I indicated which cases I was comfortable doing and which cases (sick peds, advanced hearts) I did not feel comfortable doing. They didn't ask any further questions after seeing the spreadsheet.

I did for a while. But last time I worked locums they didn’t care about my personal case log Excel file, so I stopped doing the extra work that @Ashers described

I just started doing this because one hospital I credentialed at didn't like what I provided. And I was like you want me to go through thousands of cases and input the data for you?

Reactions: 1 user
If the billing company or university billed for hearts under your name when you did not do them, that’s billing fraud. And it sounds like they gave away free blocks. It reminds me of NPR’s bill of the month.

I'm not sure what they did; I'm hoping it was some transcription error. It's how I got the case logs. The group was a mess in so many ways.

Reactions: 1 user