CCM via Anesthesia vs IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kl323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely considering pulm/ccm as a possible career... I also know there's multiple ways of getting there.

As a MS3, I'm considering IM and anesthesia as potential residency to go into...

What are the pros and cons of getting to pulm/ccm via these different routes?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm definitely considering pulm/ccm as a possible career... I also know there's multiple ways of getting there.

As a MS3, I'm considering IM and anesthesia as potential residency to go into...

What are the pros and cons of getting to pulm/ccm via these different routes?

Thanks!

You can't do pulmonary out of Anesthesia, but obviously can out of IM. You can do critical care fellowship from anesthesia.*

In anesthesia you'll obviously get more airway experience, and more time in the surgical and CVsurgical ICU. Pulm/crit will obviously do more MICU, +/- neuro ICU depending on the neurology/nero surg presence in the the ICU where you train. The differences are fairly nuanced. And you'll be "better" at whatever you see more of, though in many ways critical care is critical care is critical care, and if you do a lot of MICU, your reflexes may not be as good setting foot in an SICU, but you'll pick it up quick, and visa versa. I think pulm/crit people tend to be better with vents, but that's my experience, as pulm/crit gets the occasional "vent management/vent wean consult" from the other critical care services where I currently train. The other plus to pulm/crit, is the pulmonary medicine side of things, which I think is very interesting, and interventional bronch is very cool (other specialties bronch, but only the pulmonary folks and the CV surgeons do an interventions in the airway itself)

Either way you go will probably depend more on your personality and what you kind of like to do clinically. Make sure you get some time in the SICU/SVICU and the OR with the anesthesia people. You'll probably get an idea of where you fit in best.

Good luck.

Last edited: