CCOM and NOVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JennieLeigh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
These are my two top choices! However CCOM is my dream!

What do I need to get in?

I only have a 3.37, and i just took the MCAT!

I have a letter from a DO and major activity in EC's.

Do I have a chance?

Jennie
:D

Members don't see this ad.

Sure you do! I think if you look around long enough, you'll realize that just about any combination of gpa and mcat score is possible.

If i'm correct, I believe your gpa is right around the average (maybe a little lower, but don't quote me on that). So, i wouldn't be too worried right now.

Your GPA is fine! I have seen people get in with a 3.2 or lower. It all depends on what you get on the MCAT. The higher your MCAT the more acceptable your GPA will look. But I think that it's ok where it is now.

By the way, I only applied to MD schools this time around cause I only found out about Osteopathy this year. But I fell in love with the osteopathic philosophy. And if I need to reapply again, CCOM and NOVA are my two top choices too!!! :)GOOD LUCK!

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are very good choices.

Where are you from, does your school have any affilation with CCOM.

That helps.

I wish I also got into CCOM.
I had a 28 and 3.8 GPA with plenty of ECs, plus the interview went great.

But I'm extremely happy to go to NOVA

AK

Hey there, I had a 3.3 overall and 3.4 science, and I got 9 bio, 9 physical, 8 verbal, and I was accepted to CCOM, where I will be going next year. I had a great rec letter from a DO that went there who knows me very well, and I have worked as an EMT for 3 years in an ER, so that definitely helps. So that might give you an idea. There were people i interviewed with that had lower mcat scores, and they got in, I think they interviewed really well. So numbers don't matter so much as your interview, and rec letters, and EC stuff. You should sign up for a tour of the campus to show your interest in the school. I have a cousin that did that at PCOM, and after the tour they told her to apply even before she took the mcats, and they would probably accept her. So every little bit counts. CCOM is awesome. good luck, let me know if you have more detailed questions.

Jennie,

I got into CCOM with a 3.1 and a 36R on the MCAT. However, I am on the NSUCOM waitlist. But, as someone said, the actual numbers aren't quite as important (barring rediculous low extremes) as you're interview. This might explain my Nova situation as it was my first interview and I may have come across like a jackass. Don't freak, play it cool b/c it's a long road and there's plenty of freaking out yet to come :wink:

CCOM is very big with pull. If you know any doctors that went there, you have a very big advantage. I did not apply to CCOM, but it is a great school and I have a couple good friends going there. I got into NOVA with a 2.9 and 29 on my MCAT's. I am also a strict believer in the efficacy of good interviews. I had a terrible freshman year of college which destroyed my GPA, but I had a great interview. Most people fall into a certain grade/mcat range... they want to take people they want as students in their schools, and colleagues one day.

What are all of your opinions comparing NYCOM to NOVA?

I personally wasn't too impressed with NYCOM. It didn't completely turn me off, but the facilities weren't as nice as NOVA or PCOM. Even though Old Westbury is a very nice town with beautiful homes, I still don't like the idea of moving to New York and not being in the city. Being from the suburbs of Detroit, Long Island didn't look that much different. I also am not happy with the extremely large class size (over 300 when you add the 40 or so foreign MD's they are retraining as DO's). The rotations are supposed to be very good, but they don't really blow NOVA's away. And finally, for whatever reason, I didn't get the "feeling" at NYCOM. Anyone who has interviewed knows what I mean by that. It's a feeling that is an affirmation that you can see yourself going to class there everyday for the next two years. I got this almost immediately at NOVA For me it was a no brainer. I have no disrespect towards NYCOM because it's a wonderful school, but it just didn't beat out NOVA in my mind

Thats so funny you mentioned "the feeling". Thats exactly what i have been trying to explain to my fellow New Yorkers. The other issue I thought about is that NYCOM limits you to rotate in NY at their affiliated hospitals. At NOVA you can rotate out of FL if you like. YOu are not limited! I am extremely excited for NOVA!!! see you this summer/fall!