CCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slamindesi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted to set this up for the 2009-2010 applicants for CCOM.

I received their secondary a few days back and had a question about the second question..

"Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class?"

Is that supposed to be a school-specific answer, or is it more about just presenting yourself as a unique applicant to their school?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to set this up for the 2009-2010 applicants for CCOM.

I received their secondary a few days back and had a question about the second question..

"Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class?"

Is that supposed to be a school-specific answer, or is it more about just presenting yourself as a unique applicant to their school?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

I would assume the prompt before "Why CCOM?" would be the school specific

Thanks RRTinCO!

Thats what I assumed, but I just wanted to double check with other people

Members don't see this ad :)
File is complete as of July 9th...

My file was also complete on the 9th. They are pretty quick and seem to like to send me emails about the school every so often. Hope AZCOM is as well organized.

HI Everyone! Good luck to everyone applying to CCOM this year!!!:D:D

I am wondering, on the resume, are they looking for just a list of our activities, and the date (time) we did it..

or are they looking for a 1-2 sentence summary of the work we did (although this would all be on the primary app)?

I am wondering, on the resume, are they looking for just a list of our activities, and the date (time) we did it..

or are they looking for a 1-2 sentence summary of the work we did (although this would all be on the primary app)?

I just sent the same resume I used for applying for jobs, since what CCOM asked for was pretty much the same as my resume. Of course I re-vamped it a little to include volunteer/extracurricular items and remove some stuff that wasn't practical for a med. school application.

it is not a resume, it is a CV.

resume is usually 1 page, CV can be multiple pages.

Mine was a resume and that worked out. I think you can go about it either way. Just put it together in a coherent visually adept manner.

can someone post the complete secondary questions?

i figure while i wait for the aacom to get through the pile that i can brainstorm...

can someone post the complete secondary questions?

i figure while i wait for the aacom to get through the pile that i can brainstorm...

Two questions, which are LIMITED to 250 words each.

Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?

Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class?

good luck...I found getting an early start on potential secondary questions helped to pass the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do CCOM and AZCOM have totally separate admissions committees?

I believe so, considering supporting materials like letters of recommendation go to separate addresses if mailed. I know AT Still may have one committee as everything goes to the Kirksville campus.

aacomas submitted....waiting for last of transcripts to arrive.

Just submitted there secondary!!..Lets hope for the best :xf:

how long after submitting the secondary application does it take to hear back on whether or not I will get an interview?

Looking back I believe my application was complete on 8/21 (when I received the email that I was complete) and I received the interview invite on 8/25. Hope this helps!

Yikes! Just realized that I submitted my CV with my secondary a couple weeks ago but I left out my hobbies/non-medical interests on it. Can I just submit it to the admissions office by email as an attachement and explain the problem???

Ya that's probably what I do. They are really friendly so if you feel inclined give them a call. But I'd just go forward with your original plan.

mine was a page and a half.

write everything that you think will be important, dont stop at 1 page or youll be cutting yourself short.

Yikes! Just realized that I submitted my CV with my secondary a couple weeks ago but I left out my hobbies/non-medical interests on it. Can I just submit it to the admissions office by email as an attachement and explain the problem???

Emailed the correction and CCOM fixed it in about 5 minutes and emailed me back. Still waiting on AZCOM.

Anyone else notice that AZCOM is horrible when it comes to communication by email? With CCOM, I almost always get a response the very same day.

Has anyone recieved interview invitations yet? I wonder when they will start sending them out....

Has anyone recieved interview invitations yet? I wonder when they will start sending them out....

CCOM and AZCOM both will start sending out interview invites in mid-August and interviews being in September. I got this from their admission offices.

Man, AZCOM takes forever to reply to emails.

anyone know how the feewaiver works for supplemental?

I just submitted my app last night. they have all my transcripts and my mcat is thursday. But my prof. have not sent out my LOR's yet. Will ccom still send secondaries without recieving LOR's?

I just submitted my app last night. they have all my transcripts and my mcat is thursday. But my prof. have not sent out my LOR's yet. Will ccom still send secondaries without recieving LOR's?

You will receive an application from CCOM once your AACOMAS has been verified and released to your designated schools.

I received my supplemental from CCOM on July 1st, but my LOR's were not uploaded to VirtualEvals until July 8th.

I think this school has definitely been the quickest in terms of response times to sending email confirmations about receiving LORs, secondary.

Last edited:
do they screen prior to secondaries?

Yes. Must have a minimum science and cumulative GPA of 2.75. So basically, around 98% of people that apply will get a secondary, because
that means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for CCOM.

how long did it take after you guys submitted your app to get verified and recieve secondaries? i take my mcat on thursday so will they wait to get my score and then verify, how does that work?

so what do you guys think my chances would be here...3.21 bcpm 3.4 overall and 17 on mcat? (urm nontrad) :(

so what do you guys think my chances would be here...3.21 bcpm 3.4 overall and 17 on mcat? (urm nontrad) :(

I usually try to be pretty upbeat and positive, but a 17 on the MCAT...ugg :( I understand you are a URM, but a 17 :eek: ...I would be more worried about being able to succeed in, and complete medical school than getting into medical school.

Anyway, I'm a nontrad as well and I understand how busy it gets (job, school, kids and spouse (if applicable)) but put more effort into the MCAT, not only to increase your chances, but also so you know you can do it.

Good luck.

I would definitely retake. What happened? Can you give us a spread?

I am not trying to jump on you, because a low MCAT definitely is easier to fix than a low GPA. If you have not started applying already, then I would wait until next year with a retake. As for your chances with a 17, not good. Sorry.

I'm sorry but I had a nice conversation today with a friend and we were both discussing how much we hate the fact URM is like a stat, or an exclusive club if you would that you have no chance of getting into if you are not URM and basically just adds points to everything. It's like a get outa jail free card, or a pass. And I'm sorry I don't mean to be harsh but a 17 mcat is terrible, the GPA is low and I really don't know what's going on in this country but if someone actually lets you into medical school with that mcat score and no gpa to back it up...well i hope your not my doctor. Good luck to you.

I'm sorry but I had a nice conversation today with a friend and we were both discussing how much we hate the fact URM is like a stat, or an exclusive club if you would that you have no chance of getting into if you are not URM and basically just adds points to everything. It's like a get outa jail free card, or a pass. And I'm sorry I don't mean to be harsh but a 17 mcat is terrible, the GPA is low and I really don't know what's going on in this country but if someone actually lets you into medical school with that mcat score and no gpa to back it up...well i hope your not my doctor. Good luck to you.

I'm not a fan of what URM means for the application process either but you really just cast a wide stereotype. I agree with you on that letting someone in with a MCAT of 17 is just asking for trouble. However, you should also keep in mind that students have to pass the boards before they become doctors and often times before they are even allowed to do clinicals. In this case a gpa of 3.4 isn't even bad. Hell CCOM's avg is a 3.53 so just one student attending with a ~3.6 evens it out.

My point is if you want to blast what URMs mean for the application process go ahead and do it. Just when it is an individual who DOES have a reasonable gpa, give constructive criticism. (Unless they post nonsense questions and don't seem to read ANYTHING or do searches.)

That said, I don't think a 17 MCAT will get you in anywhere and it would be a waste of money to try. Instead spend the money on getting some good MCAT prep materials and raise it to at least a 24 and then you have a very good chance at getting in somewhere. Good luck :thumbup:

What are everyone's stats who are applying to CCOM.

Is a 3.7 cgpa and 3.75 sgpa and a 25 08/09/08 MCAT going to be competitive enough?

so has anyone else had contact with this james moore person? seems like a really nice guy

so has anyone else had contact with this james moore person? seems like a really nice guy

i am assuming you are talking about someone in admissions...i have not spoken to the person you are referring specifically to but i have spoken with other people in the office and can say that they are all generally very nice and helpful people :)

of course...it might help when you are actually already on campus ;)

What are everyone's stats who are applying to CCOM.

Is a 3.7 cgpa and 3.75 sgpa and a 25 08/09/08 MCAT going to be competitive enough?

I'm applying with a 25 as well (7ps/9vr/9bs).. ran out of time on ps and blindly guessed on 7 questions :( oh well haha..
and 3.64 cGPA and 3.54 sGPA..? anyone think i'll be competitive?

I'm applying with a 25 as well (7ps/9vr/9bs).. ran out of time on ps and blindly guessed on 7 questions :( oh well haha..
and 3.64 cGPA and 3.54 sGPA..? anyone think i'll be competitive?

Yes, I do. Put together a few good essays for their secondary, and I think you have a good shot.

Good Luck!