CCOM interview in Oct

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Viva LV

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be going for an interview Oct. 16 and I'm starting to get a little nervous. This will be my first interview and it is a top choice. I don't want to screw it up. Will someone who has interviewed there please give us the scoop? What do you wish you had known or done before you went?

Has anyone been accepted to CCOM? If so, how long after interview did you find out?

One more question: USNews.com says that in 2000 432 interviewed and 341 got in. Hoping that there is an advantage for those of us who are interviewing early, that seems to give us pretty good chances. Just don't screw it up, I guess. That reminds me, I'm still nervous about it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a student at CCOM, and was probably even more nervous before the interview last year than you are.

Try to relax and show them your personality. The students at this school are amazing, and you want to show the admissions committee that you would fit in. I have not heard of provoking questions to see how you handle under pressure, or any questions to explain weaknesses in your application. Instead, it will mostly be to understand who you are. Also, there is usually one ethical question where they pose a hypothetical scenario and ask you how you would handle it.

Try to take some time to look around Downers Grove and Chicago, if you haven't done so before. During the campus tour, ask them to show or direct you to the different housing types if they don't on their own, so you can make an informed decision later when you have to choose housing.

I received my response about 3 weeks after the interview. Admissions should let you know when to expect the response after your interview, and if not, ask them.

I stayed at Red Roof Inn. It was the cheapest, but be aware that it's a motel setup. There was a lot of noise from a nearby truck revving up and neighboring room's talking, but maybe it was just for my day.

What do I wish I had known ahead of time? That I should have dressed warmer.

Good luck, and just ask natural. Congratulations on your early interview.

Thanks Dagny. That helps a lot. BTW, I love your name. My wife and I are naming our first daughter Dagny. We got it from Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged.

I am starting to wonder if Oct 16 is the first interview date for CCOM this year. Has anyone interviewed yet? Sounds like the interview won't be too bad. Thank goodness for that.

Hey, guys (and/or gals)!

Good luck to all of you....I am an MS-1 at CCOM and I remember all too well your nervousness and anxiety. But PLEASE don't stress too much. Your interview will go fine. Relax! One of first things I noticed when I came to CCOM to interview last year (in January, BTW) was that everyone here makes you feel EXTREMELY comfortable. I chose to come here for several reasons, and one of them was definitely the people. In other words, if you DO get accepted and decide to come....you'll love it.

As far as the earliness of the date is concerned...I interviewed in January. Many people I have spoken to interviewed later than that. I'm not saying it's not an advantage to interview as early as possible, but they may, in fact, spread things out a bit so not EVERY slot is filled by December. Although I should say this...when i was interviewing last year, I got accepted to all of the schools at which I had an early interview date. The others....well, let's not talk about those.

A far as the interview itself, I had one faculty member and an MS-4. The questions were exactly what you'd expect - for the most part....Why do you want to be a doctor?, why a D.O.?, why CCOM?, strengths?, weaknesses?, etc. I will tell you right now, however, that if you have Dr. Van Winkle as your interviwer, you WILL get some random, off-the-wall questions that you don't know the amswer to. He is a very....interesting guy. Talking to him is kind of like talking to someone who is just a bit too smart to deal with "ordinary" people. That being said, I absolutely love him as a professor. He's smart, witty, and can actually make biochem seem not so bad. Just beware. He will definitely ask you a totally weird question that he KNOWS you don't have an answer to (most likely somethiing about "patterns of ignorance" - his favorite subject). Don't BS him and don't try to talk about things that you dont have any experience with. My opinion is that its a "can you handle this" sort of question.

Bottom line: If you have made it this far, you are certainly not an idiot. In fact, you are probably ahead of most applicants at this point. So relax...be yourself...don't worry...and dont stress. Get sleep the night before. If you see students pass by when you are waiting in the admissions office, don't be afraid to stop them and ask them questions. Tell them who you are interviewing with. Maybe get a few pointers. Well, thats enough for me. I have a histo test in 4 hours. Gotta go. GOOD LUCK!

Dave