SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

CCOM--Living Learning Center

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by thundercat77, Aug 14, 2002.

1. thundercat77

thundercat77 Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Hello and how is everyone doing? I will be living in the Living Learning Center (LLC) my first year at CCOM. For those of you who are or haved lived there, what advice can you give me? What kinds of things should I bring?? Any additional furniture?

I'm from California, so I need all the help I can get.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dagny

Dagny PGY-1 10+ Year Member

Lionel, Mary at Residential Life helped me answer your same questions last year. They provide one wall phone, a twin bed, a desk, a nightstand, shower curtain, closet to hang clothes, etc. So you already have a lot of things. There is one light on the ceiling, so you could bring a reading lamp for the desk and maybe the nightstand. Some students used a floor halogen light. You have air conditioning and a heater in the LLC. Some of my friends that lived in the higher floors complained that the heat rises, so that they left the door open to cool off during the winter months.

The major thing you will probably want is a small refrigerator. The school offers voice mail. There is also a free internet connection. You just need a connection to the wall.

You can buy a lot of these things at nearby Target off of Highland near 22nd St.

Most MS-II's will try to help you out. Ask us!

Have you figured out how to drive to CCOM from California? I can help you.
  4. appledumpling

appledumpling Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2001
    I have a question about the phone service. Are local calls free? I was under that the assumption that they were, but my dad thinks otherwise.
    Also, do you recommend a particular bank over all the others in the area? I got a packet that listed the banks in Downers Grove, but I always like to go w/ the best. ;)

Thanks. :)
  5. Dagny

Dagny PGY-1 10+ Year Member

Local calls from your room are not free. It's around $9.00 a month with the e-campus plan. I'm pretty sure you can just use a phone on campus to make local calls instead, if you want, such as from the library.

We had problems with the long distance phone service being down last year after hours, as well as the voice mail not working. The school is supposed to have put in a new voice mail service soon, but just be warned. You may need to use a cellular as a back-up sometimes. The voice mail also won't let you store message more than a few days.

I think BankOne is the most convenient because it has an ATM machine on campus where you can do withdrawals (not deposits).
  6. Eyecon82

Eyecon82 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 3, 2003
    I know this is an old post..but i'll be living in the LLC this coming year. Would anyone happen to have a picture of how the rooms look? or any further comments?
  7. tcat

tcat Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Hey guys, I'm not too sure if the e-campus plan is up and running anymore. When I came in last year they said no calls [local and long distance] were free. You always had to dial 9 to get external and then have a phone card ready. Most people usually have their cell phones which work fairly well in the rooms. Most ppl are with ATT or Verizon. Hope this helps :)

Tcat MS II
  8. MC^2

MC^2 CCOM Class of 2008 7+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Denver, CO
    hey tcat... can you recieve phone calls for free in the rooms? also, do you know of anyone who does not have a computer? Are computers necesary?
  9. sarah89

sarah89 Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Suburbs of Chicago
    Hey everyone,
    I will also be living in the LLC this year and I was just wondering which meal plans you guys are getting. I wasn't sure if I should just get the 5 or do the 10 and grab dinners there as well...What are you guys doing?