CCOM LOOK At ME!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drwannabe44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is a 22 mcat and a 3.9 gpa good for CCOM the application was complete on july 18 with a md doctor rec letter and a health science rec committee letter also there is extensive volunteer work, CNA work, research /project leader, bachelors, summa cum laude, honors student, minor in spanish..etc

Members don't see this ad.

drwannabe44 said:
Is a 22 mcat and a 3.9 gpa good for CCOM the application was complete on july 18 with a md doctor rec letter and a health science rec committee letter also there is extensive volunteer work, CNA work, research /project leader, bachelors, summa cum laude, honors student, minor in spanish..etc

I'm not sure if this is an honest post or you are a troll, but I was rejected from CCOM with a 28 MCAT. I'm not sure why you think you'll get in.

drwannabe44 said:

I don't think he's a troll, just worrying about his future. I'm a 3.2 gpa and 21 mcat applicant and the advice given to me was to retake the mcat. I'd say retake your mcat and do well.

I have a question though. Since my mcat is so low, if I turn in my secondary tomorrow would they just take my money and reject me before waiting on my second mcat score? Maybe I should hold off on my secondaries until my score comes out. Any advice on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
I'm not sure if this is an honest post or you are a troll, but I was rejected from CCOM with a 28 MCAT. I'm not sure why you think you'll get in.

Prob not a troll, but yea, definitely retake that MCAT asap. Oh, and remember to study ur butt off this month.

Its not all about MCAT...I had a 26 and a 3.4 and I was accepted into CCOM after sending my secondary in February and having an interview during the last week of interviews.

shttthttle said:
Its not all about MCAT...I had a 26 and a 3.4 and I was accepted into CCOM after sending my secondary in February and having an interview during the last week of interviews.

26 is a big difference from 22 and 21...i feel if he boosts his mcat he'll be fine. i hope the same for me too.

are you saying i should hold my secondary until i get my august mcat scores?

drwannabe44 said:

you scores as they stand are mediocre at best..

if you can really show that you want and have the characteristics that make for a good doctor (as much as you can show in your apps, that is) you may have a chance.

with that MCAT though, given that you're applying to a DO school, at least get a LOR from a DO.. maybe shadow one for a bit to show your interest in the profession. if you can, retake the MCAT and try to bump it up a minimum of 2 or 3 points to get it around the means for most schools.

good luck

drwannabe44 said:

Well, the goodnews is you have a 3.9 GPA. Is that BCP or an overall GPA?

Did you take non-science courses like phiosophy, history, and sociology too? If so, then that's pretty darn good. It will show you are a well round person.

You are a CNA too. Also good.

The only thing is your MCAT score. I'd bet that if you applied to 20 some schools, there will be at least 2 or 3 that will interview you. CCOM might not, but there are others good schools out there too.

And retake the MCAT if you can.

Best of wishes :luck:

C&C

drwannabe44 said:

DO rec letter would be good. And apply to other DO schools. Most people in my interview class were applied there just cuz it was in chicago. Sell yourself on the DO philosphy.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does a person with a 3.9 get a 22 on the MCAT? I hope that you were having a bad day. If so, you should easily be able to re-take the august MCAT and score a 25 or better. Otherwise, I would have to guess you went to some private college with grade inflation.
If you apply to CCOM this year with that score I would say you have a slim chance of getting an interview. Take it again! :)

laboholic said:
How does a person with a 3.9 get a 22 on the MCAT? I hope that you were having a bad day. If so, you should easily be able to re-take the august MCAT and score a 25 or better. Otherwise, I would have to guess you went to some private college with grade inflation.
If you apply to CCOM this year with that score I would say you have a slim chance of getting an interview. Take it again! :)

Realize that the bulk of the GPA could be from non-science classes, and the science classes could have been taken at a community college.

you guys are being foolish. i have more than a few freinds at CCOM with 22-25 MCAT's and lower gpa's. if he/ she had applied in june they would have had a better shot. retaking the MCAT is a smart move, but the GPA makes up for a lot of it, regardless of where classes were taken. however, CCOM will probably reject you if u dont have a D.O letter of rec.

I have a 3.9 non science GPA and a 3.9 science GPA (with no inflation or nething lke that and i took a lot art history language classes)...i am trying to find a DO to shadow at this moment and I am planning to retake...and yes i had a 22 cuz i was having a bad day..and there were A LOT of distractions at the testing center which screwed up my VR score. btw im not a troll

karizma098 said:
you guys are being foolish. i have more than a few freinds at CCOM with 22-25 MCAT's and lower gpa's. if he/ she had applied in june they would have had a better shot. retaking the MCAT is a smart move, but the GPA makes up for a lot of it, regardless of where classes were taken. however, CCOM will probably reject you if u dont have a D.O letter of rec.

what do you mean if "he/she had applied in june they would have had a better shot" are you referring to your friends or me also do you know when they start interviewing or better yet when they start reviewing applications thanks a lot

Should I hold off on the CCOM seconday until I get my August MCAT scores back? My first score was a 21 and I'm afraid they'll reject me before even looking at my August scores. What do people think?

yes 23 with a 10 on Bio, 7 on PS, 6 on VR. I applied to 12 schools so far and my application got mailed out a few days ago so..........but i am takign the MCAT in Aug again.
Obviously my Bio was strong b/c I managed a 10...double digits

If you have to ask, you should probably retake the test.

timmah2k said:
Should I hold off on the CCOM seconday until I get my August MCAT scores back? My first score was a 21 and I'm afraid they'll reject me before even looking at my August scores. What do people think?

Duh. They rejected me with a 28.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Actually, no, its not.

I'm with you on this one. To me, the biggest negative about CCOM was the location. Chicago's great, but Downers Grove is not exactly my type of town. I did hear you could actually live in Chicago your last two years, so that's something.

exlawgrrl said:
I'm with you on this one. To me, the biggest negative about CCOM was the location. Chicago's great, but Downers Grove is not exactly my type of town. I did hear you could actually live in Chicago your last two years, so that's something.

It's all relative :)

exlawgrrl said:

Yeah, you can. And that experience alone is the one reason I havent transferred out of CCOM.

OSUdoc08 said:
Duh. They rejected me with a 28.

Hi,

Sorry I wasn't asking whether they'll accept me with a 21, rather I was asking whether they'll reject me on the spot with my 21 before waiting for my August MCAT. If that's the case, then wanted to know if I should hold off on my secondary (but the scores are so long from now).

timmah2k said:
Hi,

Sorry I wasn't asking whether they'll accept me with a 21, rather I was asking whether they'll reject me on the spot with my 21 before waiting for my August MCAT. If that's the case, then wanted to know if I should hold off on my secondary (but the scores are so long from now).

Timmah, I didn't submit my stuff until the end of november and CCOM got it at the end of December. Like I posted previously, my score was a 26 on the MCAT. I was put on the waitlist after my interview and ended getting into the school. I would suggest calling CCOM up and asking one of the admissions counselours whether or not you will get a secondary. Secondaries are based only on minimum standards from my experience.

shttthttle said:
Timmah, I didn't submit my stuff until the end of november and CCOM got it at the end of December. Like I posted previously, my score was a 26 on the MCAT. I was put on the waitlist after my interview and ended getting into the school. I would suggest calling CCOM up and asking one of the admissions counselours whether or not you will get a secondary. Secondaries are based only on minimum standards from my experience.

I received my seconday a week ago and it's ready to be mailed out...seems like people agree that it's better to wait for my august mcat scores to come out before I mail the secondary. It's just with my 3.2 gpa and low mcat I wanted to do things early.

laboholic said:

Or you could also assume maybe the person worked full-time + full-time school just to make ends meet, couldn't afford a prep course like most people and do devoted what time he or she had to study for the monster of a test and Vooolaaa there you have it, a 22. Same thing happened to me.

Raven Feather said:
Or you could also assume maybe the person worked full-time + full-time school just to make ends meet, couldn't afford a prep course like most people and do devoted what time he or she had to study for the monster of a test and Vooolaaa there you have it, a 22. Same thing happened to me.

1. Taking a prep course isnt a given that you will get a good MCRAP score.
2. If the person truly had a 3.9, getting a 22 shouldnt be difficult. I took the MCAT the first time and didnt study one lick, and I got a 22.

Raven Feather said:

If, while working full time, you can pull off a 3.9 that isnt inflated, you should be able to make a 22+ on the MCAT as well.
A 22 on the MCAT is 25-30 percentile for April 2006. If you do not score at least a 25, you should take it again because that score should be well within your abilities.

laboholic said:
If, while working full time, you can pull off a 3.9 that isnt inflated, you should be able to make a 22+ on the MCAT as well.
A 22 on the MCAT is 25-30 percentile for April 2006. If you do not score at least a 25, you should take it again because that score should be well within your abilities.

It takes time to work and study to maintain a stellar GPA--as it does for the MCAT on top of it all. There are only soo many hours in a day. I just know how having such a high GPA and low MCAT can happen. Sometimes it is not smarts, but circumstance. But yeah, probably anyone with that GPA (noninflated) could, given the right circumstances, score well above a 22.

Buckeye(OH) said:
1. Taking a prep course isnt a given that you will get a good MCRAP score.
2. If the person truly had a 3.9, getting a 22 shouldnt be difficult. I took the MCAT the first time and didnt study one lick, and I got a 22.

1. You're right, of course it has no guarantee, but I believe it does give one an edge when tackling the MCAT.

2. Good for you that you didn't study one lick and got a 22. Seriously. But maybe your circumstances were a bit, say more conducive to help achieve your goal, maybe they weren't. There's a lot more that comes into play when one evaluates how another does on the MCAT besides a GPA.

Raven Feather said:
1. You're right, of course it has no guarantee, but I believe it does give one an edge when tackling the MCAT.

2. Good for you that you didn't study one lick and got a 22. Seriously. But maybe your circumstances were a bit, say more conducive to help achieve your goal, maybe they weren't. There's a lot more that comes into play when one evaluates how another does on the MCAT besides a GPA.

I just wanted to point out the fact that even if someones conditions were more conducive to the test, it doesnt necessarily mean they will score well.

It still remains a question though, why the discrepancy?

Buckeye(OH) said:
I just wanted to point out the fact that even if someones conditions were more conducive to the test, it doesnt necessarily mean they will score well.

It still remains a question though, why the discrepancy?

You're right. And chances are, that will be asked if offered an interview. Out of my 5 interviews, I was only asked about it at one.

Raven Feather said:
You're right. And chances are, that will be asked if offered an interview. Out of my 5 interviews, I was only asked about it at one.

If you dont mind where did you interview and what were your stats

Hey all-
I'm waitlisted at CCOM (interviewd in cursed March) and I was just wondering what anyone new about waitlist movement? Is there hope? I'm in to KCUMB, but will hold out till the last minute. I'm perfectly willing to pack my bags in KC and turn around and come right back.

Oh and I submitted everything to CCOM by Januaryish. Here's my sats: 28 MCAT, 3.4 GPA, majored in molecular bio, 3+years as an EMT and ER tech. I am told March is not a fantastic time to interview as the class is pretty much full by then. Any hope for me on the waitlist?

drwannabe44 said:
If you dont mind where did you interview and what were your stats

No, I don't mind at all. My overall with 2 degrees (associate + different bachelors) was like a 3.76, however, I maintained a 4.0 with my bachelors which included all med school reqs. I scored a 22 on the MCRAP (good name for it buckeye!). I did not, and would not have retaken it unless I did not get in anywhere. I took the April 05 MCAT and knew my situation would not be changing anytime soon for the August one.

I initially applied to 8 DO schools, 1 MD. I didn't send in secondaries for 2 DO schools, DMU and CCOM. I withdrew from PCOM-Philly, declined my interview for PCOM-GA, interviewed at VCOM, LECOM, PCSOM, and KCUMB. I was accepted into all. I applied/interviewed late at my state MD school (IU) and was rejected. I don't think being late mattered though, as their average MCAT was like a 30.

Is it a good idea to send a note with the secondary emphasizing that I'm going to retake the MCAT this August?

timmah2k said:
Is it a good idea to send a note with the secondary emphasizing that I'm going to retake the MCAT this August?

Not if you marked that you would be on the primary.

drwannabe44 said:
what do you mean if "he/she had applied in june they would have had a better shot" are you referring to your friends or me also do you know when they start interviewing or better yet when they start reviewing applications thanks a lot

ok guys so i shadowed a do and she will send in a LOR asap...thats good right

ne one know whem ccom begins to review applications??

karizma098 said:

ok so my lor from a do i shadowed is in !!...do you know when they start reviewing apps and when they and how they notify apps for interviews

if i can add my $0.02 i'd say apply and do not listen to what people say here. I know 3 people who got in with 21-23 MCAT and had much lower GPA then you. Do not base your future on what people say on anonimous forums. We are not ADCOM's here and the only way for you to find out if you will get in is to APPLY!!! Besides numbers there are other qualities in people that make ADCOMs deside if one will be offered admission or not.
By the way as far as i remeber Jamers got into DMU(which is a pretty darn good DO school) with 22 mcat and a GPA like yours or something close to it...
JUST APPLY and the patiently wait for results, if you won't get in then try retaking MCAT, but don't waste a year or take it in rush in Agust because both of these things may result in a disaster.
GLTY

i have heard that they evaluate them as they come in on a weekly basis to decide when in the interview schedule they wish to offer someone and interview. (or at least that is what an admissions person on the phone told me)