CCOM Off-Campus Housing Questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurdock

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife and I will be moving to the DG area next summer.
Of those students who currently own a home:
1) Know a good real estate agent who worked well with you and understood your situation as a medical student?(or on the otherhand- who to avoid)
2) Are there any resources available where I could find information about purchasing vs. renting while in school????
Thanks-
B

CCOM Class of 2008

Members don't see this ad.

hey...congrats on your acceptance!

i just wanted to let you know that I believe most of us on SDN from CCOM live on campus. ( at least for my class- MS-I)

i would have no idea which real estate company is best to go with. although i am thinking about buying a condo this summer. so if you find a good one, let me know!

I live off-campus. I have a great apartment not too far away. I don't recommend living on-campus but that is just my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
kissacefan1978, why don't you recommend living on-campus? I would think that would be ideal for 1st and 2nd years. Just curious.

ya......why don't you recommend it?! :D

i think it's great! and i would hate to have to live off campus. :D

and KISS was just a mediocre band too, with only one or two good songs :eek:

hehe

I only saw one dorm room. I wasn't sure if there were apartments like there were for arizona. THis is one aspect about CCOM I was unsure about. I don't think I could handle dorm life again.

Hey SM-UCLA tech,
Can you comment on your experience living on-campus? Where did you live? (the dorms, LLC, apts) I am thinking about living in the on-campus apartments, but I'm not sure how difficult it is to get in those since they only have like 48 units.

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but do the on-campus apartments not allow pets of any kind? (I have caged rodents here) Or are they pretty relaxed about it (like maybe no one would notice)? I know you can't most likely sneak an animal into the dorms.

Did you choose to have a meal plan? When I was at the interview, I was pretty impressed with the cafeteria--but I was only there one day. Do you think it's a fair deal or too expensive?

Oh yeah..one more thing. I don't want to bug them....when do they usually send out housing applications? I thought someone said like in January or something.

Lari

I live off campus, way off campus. For those of you that know the chicago area it's like 15 blocks west of midway airport. The drive to and from school isn't that bad. It's just when you hit 5 o'clock traffic after the all to stimulating anatomy lab that it begins to suck. On a high note, it's rent free (fiancee's parents basement) so the traffic is worth it. As far as the dorms go, I wasn't very impressed with them. Just my $.02 as well. Although, there are perks to living on campus as well.

I live in an on-campus apartment. I was lucky to get one. You'll get the application sometime around February, just return it as soon as you get it. I am on a meal plan for lunch only. I think it's not that bad. The food is about as good as you'll get at a school, and it's a lot easier than packing. I doubt you could get away with a pet.

Hey there hate to poke my nose in but wanted to give my two cents...im not currently a med student at CCOM but spent the summer on the alternate list only to be left high and dry...thats ok im a very happy at large student at Midwestern right now...living in the naperville area. I chose to live off campus becuase of pet issues...big dog and kitten...and I think i found the greatest place in town!! I live on the border of naperville, on a very corporate road which means very little traffic...it only takes me 15-20 minutes to get to school and its great to return home to a nice cozy place. Off campus living will run you anywhere from 700-1000+ a month but my apt complex was by far the best deal in town. Its only a few years old, i live on the third floor, vaulted ceilings, fireplace, huge garden tub...very cozy for one person, but big enough for a couple!!! so there are some really great places off campus and if you search high and low you can find the right one for you...look around and compare, find what is best for you!

Everyone has made some good points........

I really enjoy living on campus. I live in the traditional hall. the rooms are actually fairly large. they were originally built for two people, so you have double of everything. it is also a great way to get to know your classmates better, and a great way to stay motivated for studying. it's also incredibly easy because you don't have to cook nor do you have to commute. i find that not having to commute saves me soooo much sleeping time, energy, and studying time.

i am on a 10 meal/week mealplan. the food here is decent. there is almost always a large selection of food. and the salad bar is always there. the meal plan is not a rip-off at all, but it's not an incredible savings either. but it's much easier than having to cook or go off campus to eat. a couple people here who didn't get a meal plan say they will get one next quarter.

as far as a pet is concerned, i think you MIGHT be able to get away with it because they are small rodents in a cage. the person in charge of the dorms here has a dog, so go figure.

if you want to live off canpus, check out relconapartments.com. they are a free apartment search service, and can hook you up with info on almost any apartment in the chicagoland area. i used them and they were great. they look at your preferences with regards to what you want and where, and set up all your appointments for you in one nice itinerary. defintely took a lot of the burden away.