CCOM or AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barbiegrl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:) I was fortunate to get accepted to both CCOM and AZCOM, but am struggling on deciding which to go to. I put my first deposit at both schools because I couldn't decide, but I don't want to put a second deposit at both also. Which do you suggest? Which has a better reputation, rotations?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

:) I was fortunate to get accepted to both CCOM and AZCOM, but am struggling on deciding which to go to. I put my first deposit at both schools because I couldn't decide, but I don't want to put a second deposit at both also. Which do you suggest? Which has a better reputation, rotations?

Thanks

you should know this. CCOM all the way.

Don't worry too much about your decision. Either way, the same folks get your money.

As for reputation, I would argue that none of the DO schools has a significant reputational advantage over another.

Wanna make it in the DO world? Have great grades, great board scores, and be a nice guy or gal (but only one of those please). You'll be fine. Wanna make it in the allo world? Do the same as above but also: take the USMLE, apply widely, rotate widely, realize that some doors may be closed to you, and don't be above bribery. Just like Dr. Seuss says: "Oh! The places you'll go!"

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

You know, I had the same situation early on as well. I ultimatly decided to go somewhere else, but I researched them extensively. What I discovered was that CCOM had hands down a better program that AZCOM, when you factor in the student happiness, reputation, and clinical rotations. Just my 2 cents.

I didn't apply to CCOM. But I was accepted to seven schools and chose AZCOM over all of them. It got a bad reputation about its rotations several years ago because of the "monopoly" U of A had over Phoenix rotation sites, but that is all water under the bridge; now AZCOM students can rotate at the same sites and I've heard all rotations can be done in the Phoenix area (with the exception of one rural rotation).

The board scores are the highest of all the DO schools (98-100% every year); the facilities are awesome; the students seem very happy. AZCOM rocks! Then again, I might be biased :)

for me, azcom was an easy choice, but i'm an arizona native and LOCATION, CLIMATE and REPUTATION (thanks to chicago and now azcom, as well, midwestern university is a well known name in the DO world) made my decision. i can get big tuition cuts (wiche), my family is nearby, and i love the west coast/SW. i require a lot of sunshine to stay happy and my freezing point is 50 degrees F.

for most people, midwestern brings to mind chicago. i definitely can see that -- ccom has the long HISTORY, well-known ROTATION sites, and the CULTURAL LIFE of chicago. if i was from/loved the "east coast" (if chicago can be called that) and had thicker blood, chicago (along with une and pcom) would definitely be the choice for me.

think about what's most important to you and run with it :luck:

Congratulations on your acceptances! I have read some great things about CCOM this year and know that this year have had a great applicant pool. I would choose CCOM out of those two schools.

CCOM, but obviously I am biased and know nothing about AZCOM. :rolleyes:

I just looked down and realized that I'm actually wearing my MWU/CCOM shirt today :laugh:

Best of luck with your decision!! :luck:

Thanks for the help. I am an Arizona resident so I was kind of torn because I really liked CCOM. Looks like I might see some of you there next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are an 8 or above...I would probably go with AZCOM ;)

j/k, but there's probably not a huge difference besides location, just do what fells right/better..etc, etc.

wait, CCOM students are HAPPY?!?!? You're kidding me right? Because everyone I know that is there is miserable with the exam schedule! :eek: :p

Both of them are good schools, go where you are happiest overall.

I gotta say that SIU (allo) is my #1 choice since it's my alma mater, but if CCOM had an EDP program, it would be a REALLY hard decision where to go if accepted to both. (In an ideal world, b/c of EDP acceptance ;))

Not that it's an MD vs. DO thing, but because I really like CCOM that much.

I interviewed at both and was accepted at both. My impression is that the first 2 years at each school will be of equal quality. I have also talked to graduates of both programs that have backed this up.

For clinical years, I think CCOM obviously has an advantage, not nearly as large as it has been though. AZCOM had some impressive hospital affiliations.

I went into the year with CCOM as my #1 choice, while AZCOM wasn't really on the radar. After visiting AZCOM and talking with a resident that went there I ended up choosing it over CCOM. Both schools are great and after my acceptances there I turned down all of my other interviews. The kicker for me was AZCOM's location. I don't like dealing with harsh weather, plus Glendale seems like an awesome town (Super Bowl next year!). Phoenix is also close by for the people that want the big city.

Oh yeah, the board pass rate and match list at AZCOM was impressive. As much as I hate to say it, just go with your gut and try to see where you'd be the happiest while outside of school.

so i know that at ccom the exam schedule is every week, what is it like at azcom?

Do you have a strong preference for either location? If so, I'd got with that. AZCOM used to have a lot of issues with their rotations, but it seems that's been resolved recently. CCOM probably still has slightly better rotations since they're so established in Chicago, but if the AZCOM ones have improved like people say they have it might not be as huge of a difference. The first two years are identical at both schools, I think, so you're stuck with that evil test schedule either way. :)

Hey all,

i think both schools are great, and first and second year are pretty much identical. In regard to the testing schedule, i hear that they are not cumulative but are on the things you learned for that week. so it is not that bad, unlike the latter where you have blocks where your exams are on all the things you learned for that term. so i guess both have their good and bad. anyways good luck on your decision, i will be attending AZCOM in the fall.

How about....um....DCOM!!! Oh wait, that wasn't a choice.:rolleyes: LOL! Sorry! I actually don't know much about either of the schools. I have heard more of CCOM than AZCOM, but I don't really know. Since you seem to really like both schools and so they must be more or less equal in your mind, why not look at other factors that might influence your decision like the weather, location to certain things you might like, distance from family, etc. The first two years are probably about the same everywhere, but the rotations are not. Look at that too. What do you want to specialize in? What opportunities does each school offer for that? What about residencies or connections to the area after you graduate? If in the end you can still not decide, flip a coin.:D They appear to both be decent schools and either way you will become a doctor. Good luck with your decision and good luck in med school! :luck: :)

One's really hot while one's really cold.

LOL! :laugh: I know. I assume that there is probably a preference for one or the other. So, if the schools are otherwise equal, then that is something to consider. I would have an issue with scorpions. LOL! I don't like the heat either, so it would be a really easy decision for me. :D :luck:

if i was from/loved the "east coast" (if chicago can be called that) and had thicker blood, chicago (along with une and pcom) would definitely be the choice for me.

think about what's most important to you and run with it :luck:

:laugh: "East coast"!! That's one of the funniest things I've heard about Chicago ever!! :laugh: