CCOM or NSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future Doc B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to hear opinions of both places from other people since I only have a few days to put a deposit down on one or the other.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

CCOM hands down, Chicago is a great place, you won't regret it I promise.

Sam212 said:
CCOM hands down, Chicago is a great place, you won't regret it I promise.

Unfortunately, a nice city, does not a good school make.

Members don't see this ad :)
ccom ;) i'm not biased at all, i swear.

JunkintheTrunk said:
ccom ;) i'm not biased at all, i swear.

Junk! You're a pirate too! :D

I would go with CCOM.

you go with what made you happy and fit your criteria.

I know I hate the snow and the cold...I liked chicago but I turned it down cause of the weather. Yeah it sounds shallow and there were other factors like tuition but mainly I knew my personality would have been miserable in the snow....

besides, I went to go study today in shorts and I'll go read my physiology on my deck for my final on Monday.

Make sure you weight out the best options for you...both schools are cool

Thanks for your input guys (and gals)!

Originally being from the North, I have no problems adjusting to the cold weather, snow, etc. I just wonder who's got the stronger program if I want to get into a competitive residency (EM/IM combined). I know a CCOM affliate offers a program for that, what about NSU?

Any info would be helpful (got 7 days for CCOM and 14 days for NSU). For those of you who went to either CCOM or NSU, can you give me some reasons for your decision?

Future Doc B said:
Thanks for your input guys (and gals)!

Originally being from the North, I have no problems adjusting to the cold weather, snow, etc. I just wonder who's got the stronger program if I want to get into a competitive residency (EM/IM combined). I know a CCOM affliate offers a program for that, what about NSU?

Any info would be helpful (got 7 days for CCOM and 14 days for NSU). For those of you who went to either CCOM or NSU, can you give me some reasons for your decision?

CCOM has excellent rotation sites around the entire city of Chicago and surrounding suburbs. Chicago has many great hospitals and you will have great opportunities when it comes to rotations here. Those are my 2 cents.

Wat up!!!
I am originally from chi-town....and I also had the option of going to a couple chicago schools(including CCOM)..but I chose NSU in the end for its strength clinically(rotation sites)...it also has Harvey(the heart simulated patient) which was amazing....I think either place is great...but I loved NSU all-around all-together...plus did you hear we may be getting a new hospital built on campus(150+ bed)...NSU is up and coming I think!!!

Maxin n' relaxin here in the "winter",
Ca$h

TomC727 said:
CCOM has excellent rotation sites around the entire city of Chicago and surrounding suburbs. Chicago has many great hospitals and you will have great opportunities when it comes to rotations here. Those are my 2 cents.

When I was applying three years ago these were actually my top two choices...so I think you probably will be happy either way. The things that led me to CCOM over NSU:

1. Location. I'm from Chicago and wanted the opportunity to rotate at some of the hospitals around here.
2. I was not a fan at all of the mandatory attendance at NSU. I learn much better on my own, and my grades improved throught MS-1 and MS-2 with the more class I skipped. I think it helped for boards also, the fact that I wasn't shackled down in class...I had more control on how to budget my own time.
3. More electives during clinical rotations. When I was applying to NSU, there were something like 5 total electives you could do, but three of them had to be in primary care. I wanted more flexibility. At CCOM we have 6 elective months, and there are no restrictions as to what to do them in.
4. More vacation time. At NSU, you started your second year in early July, thus giving you only a short summer break. At CCOM, we started in September, giving us 4 months off in the summer.

Keep in mind these were the deciding factors for me 3 years ago. The policies at NSU may have changed since then, so check them out. Good luck!