CCOM vs. KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have been accepted to both CCOM and KCU since December and I am having a hard time deciding between the schools. Which is the better school? They both have 100% match rate and good board scores and they are both in the city. Is CCOM worth the tuition cost it is asking for? I know CCOM has awesome research opportunities and rotation sites but is it worth going into 400K-500k debt? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello

I have been accepted to both CCOM and KCU since December and I am having a hard time deciding between the schools. Which is the better school?

Neither. Pick the one that is more suited to your style of learning and the one that focuses least on OMM.

They both have 100% match rate and good board scores and they are both in the city.

Incorrect - placement rate is different than match rate. Moreover, as a DO, your match depends on YOU and not your school.

KC is hardly a city compared to Chicago.

Is CCOM worth the tuition cost it is asking for? I know CCOM has awesome research opportunities and rotation sites but is it worth going into 400K-500k debt? Thank you so much!

I go to KCUMB. Research opportunities in KC are horribly weak, and if I hadn't set myself up well with the right people in my field of choice prior to starting medical school, I'd be without a strong research fellowship for the summer of first year and beyond that (outside of KC, by the way). I would choose CCOM if you are interested in research, since Chicago has bigger and better academic centers. Otherwise, the cost of CCOM is very steep.

Also, I don't know how much time CCOM gets for summer break between M1 and M2, but KCUMB only gets 5 weeks. A lot of my classmates are being told "no" for research fellowships due to this ridiculously short amount of time. Like I said before, unless you set yourself up beforehand you may be severely limited in your options.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Neither. Pick the one that is more suited to your style of learning and the one that focuses least on OMM.

Incorrect - placement rate is different than match rate. Moreover, as a DO, your match depends on YOU and not your school.

KC is hardly a city compared to Chicago.

I go to KCUMB. Research opportunities in KC are horribly weak, and if I hadn't set myself up well with the right people in my field of choice prior to starting medical school, I'd be without a strong research fellowship for the summer of first year and beyond that (outside of KC, by the way). I would choose CCOM if you are interested in research, since Chicago has bigger and better academic centers. Otherwise, the cost of CCOM is very steep.

Also, I don't know how much time CCOM gets for summer break between M1 and M2, but KCUMB only gets 5 weeks. A lot of my classmates are being told "no" for research fellowships due to this ridiculously short amount of time. Like I said before, unless you set yourself up beforehand you may be severely limited in your options.

I know research looks good when you are applying for residency but I would be going in so much debt for just research. CCOM has good rotation sites. Do you know if I can do my rotations in Chicago at KCU? I am trying to see if there are pros of CCOM that outweigh the tuition cost of the school. CCOM didn't do a good job of trying to sell themselves like other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know research looks good when you are applying for residency but I would be going in so much debt for just research. CCOM has good rotation sites. Do you know if I can do my rotations in Chicago at KCU? I am trying to see if there are pros of CCOM that outweigh the tuition cost of the school. CCOM didn't do a good job of trying to sell themselves like other schools.

There is one chicago rotation site but its new and there seems to be limited number of seats (2 right nowor something like that).

Are you looking for a competitive match? If so, research doesn't just look good, it is really essential. But there is no guarantee you will be able to get into strong research fellowships in Chicago even if you are in Chicago. There is probably a lot of competition there from our colleagues over on the MD side. You will probably still have better options than in KC though.

I personally don't care about cost due to the fact that it is really peanuts compared to your future salary (depending on what you do). Looking back, I personally would again choose KCUMB over CCOM but that is due to the fact that location didn't matter for me getting research. For someone looking for fresh research in KC though, things are limited. Had I been in your position wanting to do research and not having anything lined up prior to school starting, I would choose CCOM. But you gotta really do the research and build connections to make the cost worth it.

There is one chicago rotation site but its new and there seems to be limited number of seats (2 right nowor something like that).

Are you looking for a competitive match? If so, research doesn't just look good, it is really essential. But there is no guarantee you will be able to get into strong research fellowships in Chicago even if you are in Chicago. There is probably a lot of competition there from our colleagues over on the MD side. You will probably still have better options than in KC though.

I personally don't care about cost due to the fact that it is really peanuts compared to your future salary (depending on what you do). Looking back, I personally would again choose KCUMB over CCOM but that is due to the fact that location didn't matter for me getting research. For someone looking for fresh research in KC though, things are limited. Had I been in your position wanting to do research and not having anything lined up prior to school starting, I would choose CCOM. But you gotta really do the research and build connections to make the cost worth it.

I am not looking for a competitive residency. I am interested somewhere in Internal medicine so I can do a fellowship later on.

I am not looking for a competitive residency. I am interested somewhere in Internal medicine so I can do a fellowship later on.

IM at strong ACGME academic centers is still pretty tough for DOs. You still need to do research. But it seems the 5 week summer is changing (according to an above post), so maybe that changes things.

I’d save money and go with KCU. If you’re interested in IM, research isn’t a must despite what others are saying. You can talk to residents/preceptors during third year and see if you can help them out with chart reviews or something.

If you’re interested in IM, research isn’t a must despite what others are saying.

Not a must, unless you actually want to set yourself up to have a chance at matching into a solid ACGME academic program. He specifically mentioned fellowship. If he wants to match GI or something along those lines afterward, he shouldn't exactly be aiming for a community program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a must, unless you actually want to set yourself up to have a chance at matching into a solid ACGME academic program. He specifically mentioned fellowship. If he wants to match GI or something along those lines afterward, he shouldn't exactly be aiming for a community program.
Even if I am trying do anesthesiology, would it still be hard for DOs without research?

Even if I am trying do anesthesiology, would it still be hard for DOs without research?
It's hard for anyone! Don't let people tell you that the DO behind your name is going to limit the opportunities you have in medicine. THERE ARE DOs WHO PRACTICE IN EVERY SPECIALTY OF MEDICINE. Relax. And get ready to kill it when you get there if you're wanting to specialize/subspecialize.

Reactions: 3 users

Anesthesiology is not at all a competitive field (even programs like MGH and Hopkins, among the very top in the world of anesthesia, are taking DOs). If you want to go to a strong program and/or not limit your options (especially as a DO), you will still need research. Research is the name of the game when it comes to ACGME. But like I said before, make sure you will actually be doing research. Otherwise, it's a lot more money for CCOM for really no reason.

And for God's sake, don't listen to anyone who equates the DO and MD degrees in terms of ease of attaining residency...

Last edited:

Forking over tens of thousands of dollars extra in the off-chance you'll do research? What if you don't have time for it? What if you don't find something, or don't enjoy it, or the lab isn't publishing papers or putting you on their pubs/abstracts? Just keep these things in mind when making this decision. MWU's tuitions are ridiculous.

No, gas is not competitive. Average board scores will land you a solid residency. If you want a top tier program or a hgy academic program then yeah research is important regardless of the field.

Don't let people tell you that the DO behind your name is going to limit the opportunities you have in medicine.

Please stop.

What if you don't have time for it?
There is plenty of time at CCOM. There is enough time for research electives during first year third quarter, all of second year, and the summer between first and second year.
What if you don't find something
Not one student who wanted to do research did not find a position to conduct research. CCOM practically forces their students to do research. Something along the lines of 1/5 of all research posters at the AOA research exposition were CCOM students.
lab isn't publishing papers or putting you on their pubs/abstracts
That's hit or miss with all research. Most, if not all students that did research at CCOM will end up with a publication/poster presentation etc.

Both are great options OP. I loved KCUMB so I am biased but I would suggest you check out their match list. They send a good amount of people to academic residencies every year, mainly to programs in the midwest but they have grads all over. My point is it seems to me that if you take care of business at KCU you'll be good in terms of the match, at the very least regionally.

Both are great options OP. I loved KCUMB so I am biased but I would suggest you check out their match list. They send a good amount of people to academic residencies every year, mainly to programs in the midwest but they have grads all over. My point is it seems to me that if you take care of business at KCU you'll be good in terms of the match, at the very least regionally.

This is not an accurate assessment. For DO schools, the name of your school really has nothing to do with the match. The match for DOs is about what the individual makes of it. Each DO school has a match list that varies year to year, and even new schools are sending grads to the same places KCUMB and CCOM is.

This is not an accurate assessment. For DO schools, the name of your school really has nothing to do with the match. The match for DOs is about what the individual makes of it. Each DO school has a match list that varies year to year, and even new schools are sending grads to the same places KCUMB and CCOM is.

That's my point dude. KCUMB is cheaper thus OP will have equal opportunities at either IMO. I never said anything about other schools, not sure why you're reading into that.

That's my point dude. KCUMB is cheaper thus OP will have equal opportunities at either IMO. I never said anything about other schools, not sure why you're reading into that.
The above poster is kind of on the very pessimistic end of the DO student spectrum (I respect your viewpoints @sab3156 so no disrespect, but you do tend to be quite negative regarding DO schools in general).

OP, I wouldn't pay that much more for a school based on research opportunities, but that's just me. No one can tell you whether or not having easier access to research is worth the extra money to you-- only you can decide that.

You didn't say that, though. You heavily implied that KCUMB's match list is a reason to attend their school. We are talking about access to research vs. tuition being the main deciding factors. Mentioning anything match list related about a DO school is objectively novice.

You heavily implied that KCUMB's match list is a reason to attend their school
I think he/she meant more that KCU will not hold you back as long as you do what you have to do. I think the point was more whether CCOM was worth the extra money when clearly both schools send students to great places, meaning the students who sought out opportunities and worked hard to get research/competitive board scores/etc did so. I agree with you that all of these things are student dependent, which leads back to the point of whether CCOM is worth the $$$ just to perhaps have easier access to research (bigger city and more on-campus research and what not).

The above poster is kind of on the very pessimistic end of the DO student spectrum (I respect your viewpoints @sab3156 so no disrespect, but you do tend to be quite negative regarding DO schools in general).

That's kind of an ad hominem, but no disrespect taken here. Though, I will say it's not pessimistic to state the obvious reality that DO match lists have nothing to do with the schools themselves. For that matter, it's also not negative to state the realities about the obvious biases that exist in the real world against DOs. But, these are not issues that have to do with this thread.

I agree with you that all of these things are student dependent, which leads back to the point of whether CCOM is worth the $$$ just to perhaps have easier access to research (bigger city and more on-campus research and what not).

Yeah, that's really the crux of the issue. The OP doesn't seem to even know what specialty he wants to get into (which is fine), which will make the issue of research a difficult one at this point.

That's kind of an ad hominem, but no disrespect taken here. Though, I will say it's not pessimistic to state the obvious reality that DO match lists have nothing to do with the schools themselves. For that matter, it's also not negative to state the realities about the obvious biases that exist in the real world against DOs. But, these are not issues that have to do with this thread.
I agree with you that these things exist but think sometimes they're overblown on SDN. Regardless, you're correct that it's irrelevant to discuss here.

Yeah, that's really the crux of the issue. The OP doesn't seem to even know what specialty he wants to get into (which is fine), which will make the issue of research a difficult one at this point.
Agree with this fully.

You didn't say that, though. You heavily implied that KCUMB's match list is a reason to attend their school. We are talking about access to research vs. tuition being the main deciding factors. Mentioning anything match list related about a DO school is objectively novice.

Scroll up and read the comments posted by OP. He/she was wondering if the increased research opportunities would help with residencies. My point was to state my OPINION that KCU sends tons of people to academic places in the Midwest so I dont feel as though the lack of research at KCU would seriously diminish OPs chances at a residency program that often looks for research experience (as academic centers often do). I never said anything at all about other DO schools. It's odd thta people such as yourself scroll through these forums and read a lot into posts that are never stated. I simply am suggesting OP check out KCUs last few match lists which are made readily available on their website. I agree it depends entirely on the student, hence my use of the phrase "if you take care of business" in my original post. If you really are either in that poor of a mood that you're trying to troll people on a site for pre meds to give each other advice or lack that level of reading ability I got nothing else to say on the matter.

Last edited:
If you are a pre-med, why are you giving him advice about research and matching? The second anyone mentions match lists when talking about DO schools... :troll:

Because I'm matriculating to one which should have been obvious again from my first post. At this point you're just being wholly unproductive to this thread. My point was clear from the beginning and you've shown yourself to be one of the anti DO people who run around picking issues with people online. So have fun with that. OP, again, look at KCUMBs match list; every year they match a significant amount of people to academic centers for residency.

Scroll up and read the comments posted by OP. He/she was wondering if the increased research opportunities would help with residencies. My point was to state my OPINION that KCU sends tons of people to academic places in the Midwest so I dont feel as though the lack of research at KCU would seriously diminish OPs chances at a residency program that often looks for research experience (as academic centers often do). I never said anything at all about other DO schools. It's odd thta people such as yourself scroll through these forums and read a lot into posts that are never stated. I simply am suggesting OP check out KCUs last few match lists which are made readily available on their website. I agree it depends entirely on the student, hence my use of the phrase "if you take care of business" in my original post. If you really are either in that poor of a mood that you're trying to troll people on a site for pre meds to give each other advice or lack that level of reading ability I got nothing else to say on the matter.

My question just was that is there something CCOM is offering besides their rotation sites and research that I should pick CCOM? The interview itself wasn't helpful. I got their match list and it wasn't all that intensive as they make it sound like. I care about the tuition at CCOM but if I am getting a better edge with CCOM then I would go there regardless of the money..Thanks everyone!!

My question just was that is there something CCOM is offering besides their rotation sites and research that I should pick CCOM? The interview itself wasn't helpful. I got their match list and it wasn't all that intensive as they make it sound like. I care about the tuition at CCOM but if I am getting a better edge with CCOM then I would go there regardless of the money..Thanks everyone!!

Nah, there will be absolutely no difference in that case. If you really don't care about being in a bigger city or if you dont think you will be able to make use of the larger academic centers, just go to KCUMB.

The second anyone mentions "match list" when it comes to DO schools, just ignore, especially if they say "person from xyz do school matched into xyz residency at MGH". For DO schools (and you will realize this if you get involved with ACGME faculty in one way or another), they are all lumped in one category, and only your research and letters/connections (on top of having good scores) will land you into great programs.

The second anyone mentions "match list" when it comes to DO schools, just ignore, especially if they say "person from xyz do school matched into xyz residency at MGH". For DO schools (and you will realize this if you get involved with ACGME faculty in one way or another), they are all lumped in one category, and only your research and letters/connections (on top of having good scores) will land you into great programs.

Yep pretty much. The only time a match list is even potentially helpful is looking to see how the local academic programs feel about that school. For example KCU putting people into the IM or General surgery programs at KU and UMKC every year. Outside of that match lists are completely worthless.

Hello all,

First year at KCU. I have talked to upperclassmen (KCU and otherwise), residents (KCU grads & otherwise), my adviser, and e-mailed to neighboring schools to get information on research - here are the notes specific to KCU that I have at the moment, followed by the source I heard it from:

1.) "Don't worry about research until you start rotations - it will be much easier to come by (asking docs to help them write a case study or whatever it may be) - focus on school during years 1 & 2 (board scores >>>> whether or not you have a research box checked on your application.)

- KCU grad now an internal medicine resident & very active in research

2.) You do not need to do hardcore benchwork research... you can essentially get involved in anything that familiarizes you to the research process (e.g. if you are more interested in public health instead of studying some convoluted intracellular pathway or whatever it may be.)

-Academic adviser & a poster on here that is faculty at another DO school

3.) You can do research through KCU - you just have to show interest. There are limited spots, but there are professors here actively researching (it's benchwork stuff from my understanding.)

-Academic adviser

4.) You can do a fellowship here (anatomy or OMM) - during this time, you have to do research through the fellowship, and you can simultaneously also do research through other means if you have time (I'm not sure what their schedules are like - I can definitely find out.) There are at least 2 fellows I know for sure have research through KCU and otherwise going on right now. Multiple fellows are also working on their dual degrees during this time.

Note: I would assume that someone that has an entire year to offer is pretty freakin' appealing if you are looking for research outside of KCU. I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to find a year-long project or something like that. But this is an assumption, and I don't know what the fellows' schedule is actually like (outside of helping us first years attempting to dissect cadavers & learn OMM.)

-A few fellows at KCU

5.) If you do a dual-degree program you have additional opportunities for research (I know this for a fact through the MBA program - cannot speak for the MS in bioethics but I wouldn't be surprised if they have similar connections.) The MBA program specifically has professors very active in public health-related & healthcare-related research. They also have lots of connections to people who are involved in research in these fields (another example of a way you can do research without it being benchwork.) This is also adding an additional college you can network through to find research in various fields.

-Multiple MBA professors

6.) You can use an elective rotation to do research if you want to.

-Ive heard this everywhere, especially on SDN

7.) You can take a year off to do research if you are gunning for an ultra-competitive field/residency position - I think you just need school approval or something.

-Ive heard this everywhere, especially on SDN. Specifically spoke to my adviser about this as well.

8.) Neighboring schools will be very difficult to get research opportunities from - they typically only permit students paying tuition (unless you know someone willing to take you under their wing.)

-Neighboring schools I have personally contacted

TL/DR: Research isn't handed to you, but there are plenty of opportunities to do so if you put in some effort on the front end and talk to people about what you are interested in doing. There may not be a lot of research going on specifically at KCU, but there are people who can point you in the right direction if you'd like to do so.

In addition, at one of our meetings it was noted that the administration is working on implementing research into the curriculum. They didn't say how they would do it, they didn't say when it would happen, but they have acknowledged that students want opportunities to research more at KCU, and they have said that they are going to attempt to address the issue in the future.

I would assume many of the bullet points I listed are opportunities available at other DO schools as well. It's not all doom & gloom! You just have to get your name out there and talk to people.

That's all. Congrats on your acceptances OP! I personally love visiting Chicago - sounds like you can't choose wrong here. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
^ Looks like someone bought into a lot of the KCU propaganda. These points can serve as an example of how poor the guidance is at DO schools.

^ Looks like someone bought into a lot of the KCU propaganda. These points can serve as an example of how poor the guidance is at DO schools.

I do agree with you that DO schools (KCU included!) need to do a better job in the future of making it known exactly how to go about attaining research, especially with the merger coming up. And I'll admit, it was a bit of a hassle to gather what information I have on my own - it would have been nice if KCU did it for me.

That being said, there's something to say for the people that put in the foot-work to get what they want. That's what I did, and now I know exactly who I need to contact if I want to get involved in research this summer/next year. That's more than I can say for all the students out there sitting at home expecting it to fall into their lap (which won't happen.)

It's situations like these (in life - not just in medical school) that separate the two types of people out - the ones that are willing to work their butts off for what they want, and the ones that throw in the towel as soon as things get difficult.

And there's no propaganda here. I'm not here to sell anybody on KCU. I'll be the first one to tell you go where you will be happiest - whether that's KCU or otherwise. There's dirt on every medical school, and I'm armed with that as well (KCU.) I was just trying to counter all of the doom & gloom posts about research at DO schools in general, using personal anecdotes (obviously related to KCU) as illustration of my point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It's situations like these (in life - not just in medical school) that separate the two types of people out - the ones that are willing to work their butts off for what they want, and the ones that throw in the towel as soon as things get difficult.

Let me illustrate the point - every single one of my friends who applied for research fellowships were outright rejected or ignored for either being from a DO school or having only 5 weeks. Every single one. I have many close friends at and personally know a PD at the neighboring academic centers and they simply don't really care about KCUMB students, because they have a responsibility to their own medical schools. Now, Rockhurst MBA and KCUMB research opportunities are really scraping the bottom of the barrel. And again, very few people will be able to get those. Taking a year off to do a research fellowship because you have to in order to do research in the first place is highly inconvenient.

This has nothing to do with throwing in the towel. If there are 5 cookies in the jar and 100 people want it, 95 people will be unable to get it, no matter how hard they try. And obviously it's going to be the KU Med and UMKC Med students who will likely take the first cookies, because they are from the damn academic institution where those research opportunities are. It's that simple.

Honestly, the entire KC seemingly has fewer research opportunities than a single major hospital in Chicago or Boston. The point of this thread is not to talk about how to get academic research in KC (which is absurdly complicated for the average KCUMB student, unfortunately), but rather which place (Chicago or KC) has more research opportunities.

Last edited:
Let me illustrate the point - every single one of my friends who applied for research fellowships were outright rejected or ignored for either being from a DO school or having only 5 weeks. Every single one. I have many close friends and personally know a PD at the neighboring academic centers and they simply don't really care about KCUMB students, because they have a responsibility to their own medical schools. Now, Rockhurst MBA and KCUMB research opportunities are really scraping the bottom of the barrel. And again, very few people will be able to get those. Taking a year off to do a research fellowship because you have to in order to do research in the first place is highly inconvenient.

This has nothing to do with throwing in the towel. If there are 5 cookies in the jar and 100 people want it, 95 people will be unable to get it, no matter how hard they try. And obviously it's going to be the KU Med and UMKC Med students who will likely take the first cookies, because they are from the damn academic institution where those research opportunities are. It's that simple.

Honestly, the entire KC seemingly has fewer research opportunities than a single major hospital in Chicago or Boston. The point of this thread is not to talk about how to get academic research in KC (which is absurdly complicated for the average KCUMB student, unfortunately), but rather which place (Chicago or KC) has more research opportunities.

Most summer research fellowships state their minimum time required on their website, which is always longer than the KCU summer break - why would someone attempt to grab your metaphorical cookies handcuffed? Sounds fruitless (cookie-less?)

If you pigeonhole yourself into "summer fellowship or nothing" then I would agree with 100% of what you are saying - but you can't do that as a DO student.

"Bottom of the barrel" public health & administrative research is pertinent to the entirety of the healthcare field - every specialty included. One might even argue that it is far more likely to impact healthcare on a wide-scale than that of a year of benchwork that likely won't yield publication. And it's a great alternative for those that aren't into the benchwork stuff.

And you're right, our debate isn't the point of this post. To each their own. I understand where you are coming from.

I do agree that Chicago is a bigger city and it would make sense that there might be more opportunity for research, but that is only an assumption and I don't know for sure.

Both are fine schools. I'd go with the cheaper one.

If you want to end up in Chicago, go CCOM. Otherwise :shrug:

I came from the east coast and I interviewed at uni. Chicago, northwestern, Rush, and univ of ill for residency. Just saying.

Both are fine schools. I'd go with the cheaper one.

I came from the east coast and I interviewed at uni. Chicago, northwestern, Rush, and univ of ill for residency. Just saying.
Not saying it's not possible, I had lots of out of state interviews as well. As I'm sure most qualified candidates do. But if someone wants to end up somewhere specific geographically, it is helpful to go to school near there. The local PDs are more likely to recognize the LOR author if they are from a neighboring hospital. Also, if someone wants to get involved in research at the local hospitals, that would help gain recognition as well. Again, not saying location is the determining factor, just one to consider if the OP desperately wants to end up in Chicago.

I do agree with you that DO schools (KCU included!) need to do a better job in the future of making it known exactly how to go about attaining research, especially with the merger coming up. And I'll admit, it was a bit of a hassle to gather what information I have on my own - it would have been nice if KCU did it for me.

Isn't a lot of the signaling value of publications the demonstration of initiative, capacity to work well autonomously, etc?

sab3156 said:
The point of this thread is not to talk about how to get academic research in KC (which is absurdly complicated for the average KCUMB student, unfortunately), but rather which place (Chicago or KC) has more research opportunities.

I think you're either over-weighing the difficulty of publishing or under-weighing the caliber of the upper-quartile DO student.

@OP I seriously doubt there are major career outcome differentials between KCU and CCOM, research or no, so I would weigh cost and preference.

I think you're either over-weighing the difficulty of publishing or under-weighing the caliber of the upper-quartile DO student.

I mean, it is easy to throw out fiery lines like you did, but you clearly do not appreciate the obvious reality of how few ACGME research opportunities are available in Kansas City, and how near-impossible it is to get them as a DO student.

Hello

I have been accepted to both CCOM and KCU since December and I am having a hard time deciding between the schools. Which is the better school? They both have 100% match rate and good board scores and they are both in the city. Is CCOM worth the tuition cost it is asking for? I know CCOM has awesome research opportunities and rotation sites but is it worth going into 400K-500k debt? Thank you so much!

Go CCOM -a KCU student