CCOM vs. LECOM (please help me decide)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyecon82

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping many of you could provide me with the feedback I need in order to make a decision between CCOM and LECOM. I currently live in Chicago and my dream is to go out of state for medical school. I missed my chance to going out of state for undergrad when I decided to go to UIC (located in chicago), due mostly because of my parents. I want to be able to experience new things. So I really don't want to go to CCOM because it's only 20 minutes away from my house (where I live with my parents). So, I am left with LECOM as my out of state choice. So based on both of the schools pro's and con's...I was wondering which school I should attend. Is it worth to go out of state to LECOM? or should I stay in my hometown and attend CCOM even though I really want to go out of state? Thank you very much for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would stay in Chicago. It is a better school, reputation ,clinicals, residency placements...etc.. You will get a fine education in both places, but of all times to be close to home, your first few years of med school will welcome it, and you can always to clinicals/residency elsewhere. Good luck with your decision, but I can assure you most will recommend you stay in your home state.:D

Absolutely, CCOM has a good reputation and residents do well in the match. Look toward residency to actually change your location and choose the better medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will second wholehealth and freeedom on this. Believe me Erie is not where you want to be for two years if you don't have to be, and if you are from a big city making the transition to a small town/city can be tough(personal experience, and I thought it would be a nice change and experience, wrong). Additionally, CCOM does have strong rotations(cook county for one), and puts you in close proximity to big name med schools/residency programs(significant research opportunities, make connections with residency programs).

Hmmm....
I seem to get drilled by my fellow lecomers each time I tell someone to go elsewhere....
I dont really know much about CCOM, or about your own situation....will you be living at home? Do your parents make you pay rent (some do)? What is your own financial status? How much will you have to take out? What about in state vs out of state tuition?
All of those are questions that youll have to answer yourself....yeah, perhaps you missed out on going away for college....but now isnt really the time you want to spend getting used to living on your own...
my advice....answer the questions....and find out which will save you money. Youll be a dr. either way....only depends on the debt now.
stomper

Imagine the magnificent mile lined with Wal-marts(as far as the eye can see).... that is our lovable Erie. Sucks in the winter, pretty nice the rest of the year. However, I'm outta here in 1 year and 2.5 months!!!

As far as LECOM goes, I really like the school, but a major player is that it is closest to my family. I am close enough, but far enough away! Never underestimate the comfort of going home for food, laundry and family. For me, it makes school much more bearable!

If you want to go out of state for school that badly, I would recommend that. Staying home and being unhappy could pose a serious problem to success in med school if you ask me. Take another trip out to Erie, stay a few nights, see more of the town than an interview's small time frame might allow. That would definitely help you make the decision for yourself. How long do you have before you must make a decision?

Thanks a lot for your opinions guys...I think Haldane3 really got the point.....i really wanna get away from home!!!

I know that many of you think living in Chicago is awesome....but im sick of it....i guess an upside would be that my mom promised me that she'd get me my own apartment near CCOM if i decide to go there so i wouldnt really have to live at home....

Also another thing.....why would you say CCOM's reputation is better than LECOMS? Would you please be able to give me specific examples if possible? Also, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to end up doing primary care...so would CCOM be a better or worst choice if you think in terms of specializing once you are done....thanks guys

I can't tell you much about CCOM, because I don't attend school there. However, what I have heard has generally been positive. As a second year student at LECOM, I can tell you that I am very happy with my choice. Overall, it's a great school. I would be happy to answer any questions that you have about LECOM if you pm me.