CCOM vs. MSU-COM. Comments and input would be appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you go to CCOM or MSU-COM?

• CCOM

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • MSU-COM

Votes: 28 58.3%

• Total voters

ziprasidone1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After being fortunate to receive acceptances at CCOM, MSU, AZCOM, NSU, Western, and KCUMB, I have narrowed my decision down to CCOM vs. MSU but have been having an extremely hard time making a decision. Any input would be helpful.

I am a Canadian citizen and am not sure what my plans are after school but I will likely want to practice back in Canada - I will have to complete a dual-accredited (ACGME/AOA) or ACGME residency (VISA issue). I would really like to secure an ACGME residency. Right now, I'm not quite sure what area I would like to complete my residency in.

Tuition + Living Expenses (per year): CCOM $51,680 + 30,569 = 82,249. MSU $58,948 (after the $20,000 scholarship each year) + 28,731 = $87,679. It's a difference of about 5K and I don't think this relatively small difference influences my decision that much.
Facilities: I toured both and CCOM definitely has much nicer facilities - brand new anatomy lab. MSU's Fee Hall seemed pretty run down.
Rotations: CCOM students rotate at a lot of big MD hospitals and students can make connections during their clerkship years. As a result of this, ~50% of students match ACGME. CCOM is an extremely old and prestigious school that has great ties with quality hospitals. MSU has the best DO hospitals for rotations; MI has 1/3 of all AOA residencies
COMLEX: CCOM 96% MSU 91-92% (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=586991&page=4). I take this information with a grain of salt because each class profile is different.
Residency Matches: Residency matches also vary from year to year, depending on the class profile. However, I feel that CCOM students can match to an ACGME residency more easily (especially if it's at one of the rotating hospitals) because their students are familiar to directors at rotating hospitals. At MSU, there would be a good chance to match in an AOA residency of choice in MI for the same reason. Not sure how easy it is to match ACGME by going to MSU - I don't think any of the rotations are through MD hospitals.
Reputation: What does everyone think? CCOM is one of the original 5. MSU is the first publicly-funded DO school.
Learning: MSU has all lectures recorded and podcasted, as well as a scribe/note-taking service. CCOM does not have any of these, instead, they have comprehensive note-packages.
Quality of Instruction: ???
Weather: I don't have a strong preference for either - both are cold and get lots of snow.
Parking: Free parking at CCOM. Probably expensive parking at MSU... I think a car will be pretty convenient for both schools
Lifestyle: ???
Student Body: There is going to be much more Canadian support at MSU (25 students in the class of 2016), but more of a college undergrad feel.
Curriculum: At MSU, students get the summer after second year off to study for the COMLEX, but courses are crammed together each semester to allow for the semester off.
Grading: CCOM: Straight grades. MSU: Pass/Fail unranked. More competitive and less teamwork at CCOM?

Please let me know if I've missed anything or if anything above is incorrect.

Where would you go if given the choice between the two and what factors would you base your decision on?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know if you are against satellite campuses but MSU has campuses in Macomb and Detroit. They are also brand new so the facilities would be nice I imagine. If you chose to go to one of those, it wouldn't feel so much like undergrad and the living expenses would be cheaper. My michigan friend chose CCOM over MSUCOM even though she is paying 20k more per year in tuition because she wanted to leave the state and practice in Chicago. I favor MSUCOM over CCOM because of the cheap in-state tuition! Personally, I would rather have a pass/fail system because it's going to be really stressful as it is. There were also studies that med students are generally happier with P/F classes. I feel like both schools are about the same in educational quality and you want to go back to Canada anyways. Hope this helps!

Just thought I would comment that MSU is switching to systems based curriculum as such the class of 2016 will be the guinea pigs if i am not mistaken, that is something to take into consideration as that can have a factor in how the class will do on the COMLEX/USMLE....it could definitely be lower for your year as they tweak the new curriculum with your feedback

Also even though MI has the most AOA residencies you should check the AOA website and see if they are dual-accredited because not all of them are so definitely check in the specialties you are interested in to make sure they are otherwise being in MI doesn't really help you

but the Canadian Initiative sounds nice and that they are really going to help you and the tuition cut is nice as I would have loved to go there but its too pricey being an OOS applicant

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if you are against satellite campuses but MSU has campuses in Macomb and Detroit. They are also brand new so the facilities would be nice I imagine. If you chose to go to one of those, it wouldn't feel so much like undergrad and the living expenses would be cheaper. My michigan friend chose CCOM over MSUCOM even though she is paying 20k more per year in tuition because she wanted to leave the state and practice in Chicago. I favor MSUCOM over CCOM because of the cheap in-state tuition! Personally, I would rather have a pass/fail system because it's going to be really stressful as it is. There were also studies that med students are generally happier with P/F classes. I feel like both schools are about the same in educational quality and you want to go back to Canada anyways. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your input. I've actually considered the two satellite campuses for MSU and have decided that I am only interested in attending the EL campus. I like having a lot of people around me and I don't know how I feel about having 95% of the lectures podcasted live at the Macomb and DMC sites.

I have no input on a specific school, but I don't think I would attend a school that doesn't offer recorded lectures. It is that important to me. And I have seen a thread telling people to choose a school based on that. FWIW.

Thanks for your input. I've actually considered the two satellite campuses for MSU and have decided that I am only interested in attending the EL campus. I like having a lot of people around me and I don't know how I feel about having 95% of the lectures podcasted live at the Macomb and DMC sites.

The lectures are broadcasted live to all three sites. You can ask questions to the professor. Even if they are at one of the alternative sites. Aside from that, I can tell you that most students don't even attend non-mandatory lectures. The lectures are recorded, and you can view them in double speed. It can actually be pretty convenient to have recorded lectures so that you can maximize your study time. Your schedule is going to be super busy regardless of the school you choose. Just keep in mind that how you studied in undergraduate is likely to change once you are in medical school. So utilizing the recorded lectures versus attending live lectures may prove to be more helpful. I was between CCOM and MSU, and I am from the suburbs of Chicago. I opted for MSUCOM for the residency options, and connections with all the Michigan hospitals. If you have any questions about MSUCOM, feel free to PM me.

The lectures are broadcasted live to all three sites. You can ask questions to the professor. Even if they are at one of the alternative sites. Aside from that, I can tell you that most students don't even attend non-mandatory lectures. The lectures are recorded, and you can view them in double speed. It can actually be pretty convenient to have recorded lectures so that you can maximize your study time. Your schedule is going to be super busy regardless of the school you choose. Just keep in mind that how you studied in undergraduate is likely to change once you are in medical school. So utilizing the recorded lectures versus attending live lectures may prove to be more helpful. I was between CCOM and MSU, and I am from the suburbs of Chicago. I opted for MSUCOM for the residency options, and connections with all the Michigan hospitals. If you have any questions about MSUCOM, feel free to PM me.

:thumbup: Took the words right out of my mouth. I went to the tour in EL (I am trying to get into the DMC campus) and the students on the tour said that 50 out of 218 students in EL actually show up to lectures. They are trying to rotate the professors to the satellite campuses more (the MD and DO students will not be taking classes together anymore, things are changing). Keep in mind that OMM, Anatomy, etc. is mandatory and has professors at any site you choose to go to.

MSU hands down!! You'll get EL, I think DMC will be the hardest site to get. The amo of Canadian support and residencies available in MI should help you decide; however, I don't you will have much of a problem.

Just thought I would comment that MSU is switching to systems based curriculum as such the class of 2016 will be the guinea pigs if i am not mistaken, that is something to take into consideration as that can have a factor in how the class will do on the COMLEX/USMLE....it could definitely be lower for your year as they tweak the new curriculum with your feedback

Also even though MI has the most AOA residencies you should check the AOA website and see if they are dual-accredited because not all of them are so definitely check in the specialties you are interested in to make sure they are otherwise being in MI doesn't really help you

but the Canadian Initiative sounds nice and that they are really going to help you and the tuition cut is nice as I would have loved to go there but its too pricey being an OOS applicant

Not really switching, just starting systems based earlier, so it will be like going to KCUMB, except we will get some Basic Science instruction preceding systems based. Basically, they evened out first and second year to give more time to study for boards.

If you are dead-set on a surgical speciality than MSU might be a better choice because they have so many AOA residencies and, as a DO, it is difficult/unlikely to land an ACGME surgical residency.

If you are dead-set on a surgical speciality than MSU might be a better choice because they have so many AOA residencies and, as a DO, it is difficult/unlikely to land an ACGME surgical residency.

The OP is canadian so AOA is not an option.

I'm actually trying to avoid surgery. Shadowing a general surgeon and working for a neuro-surgeon has made me realize that their lifestyles are pretty hectic.

I'm actually trying to avoid surgery. Shadowing a general surgeon and working for a neuro-surgeon has made me realize that their lifestyles are pretty hectic.
+1 If I get the urge, I'll just take some CE in 3rd molar removals and do it on the side :)

Anyone else with a similar dilemma hesitant to make a decision? Deposits are due soon!

where did you find out MSU's tuition? I thought it was 52K with the scholarship

nevermind, that was last year's tuition

nevermind, that was last year's tuition
Before you decide please check Chicago's requirement to have all your years(plural) documented in a U.S. account prior to matriculation. I know of one student who turned down one school to go to Chicago and then had to turn Chicago down because of this requirement. Fortunately he was accepted to another school a year later.