CCOM vs. NSU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow look what happens when I leave this thread for a day or so...

....so anyways anyone have constructive advice, opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at both schools and definitely prefer CCOM over Nova. The weather was a huge plus for me at Nova, and I think they have an amazing campus...both much better than CCOM. However, comparing their match list to CCOM's makes it an easy choice for me because I want to go into a competitive specialty. Now if I was of the many people who don't put much weight into match lists and believed that each school gives you an equal opportunity to specialize, then I would've chosen Nova because of the aforementioned reasons. However, I don't buy that and chose CCOM. I realize Nova is a great school and I hope that doesn't start a big argument...just my opinion.

I interviewed at both schools and definitely prefer CCOM over Nova. The weather was a huge plus for me at Nova, and I think they have an amazing campus...both much better than CCOM. However, comparing their match list to CCOM's makes it an easy choice for me because I want to go into a competitive specialty. Now if I was of the many people who don't put much weight into match lists and believed that each school gives you an equal opportunity to specialize, then I would've chosen Nova because of the aforementioned reasons. However, I don't buy that and chose CCOM. I realize Nova is a great school and I hope that doesn't start a big argument...just my opinion.

Thanks for your input. This is probly a dumb question for sdn but what exactly are the competitive specialties?

...and I really dont know what specialty to pick...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input. This is probly a dumb question for sdn but what exactly are the competitive specialties?

...and I really dont know what specialty to pick...

I should correct myself. I said previously that "I want to go into a competitive specialty." What I meant was that I want to leave that option open because I am very interested in the surgical subspecialties. Now this doesn't mean much because I have not taken the boards or rotated yet, so my interests can very easily change.
You have a lot of time to think about what specialty to pick and I would bet that over 70% of people going into medical school are unsure of what specialty they want to enter.
Also, realize that if you absolutely rock your boards, it doesn't matter where you went to school. However, I think all things being equal, CCOM gives you a better opportunity to pursue certain specialties IMHO.
Pretty much any residency other than IM, psych, peds, or ob/gyn will be competitive...you can do a search and look for which specialties are considered "super-competitive"

IMO "diversity" is over-rated. You know what diversity means in reality? More crime, more bums, more drug-seeking patients crowding your ERs. I'm not attacking any particular race, but this is city life. It's passing the same f*cking bums day in and day out on the streets and in the subways asking you for money so they can buy some booze. It's living in 'ethnic' neighborhoods where a kid gets clipped by a car full of cowards in a drive-by. It's running into someone every two hours who doesnt (read: refuses) to learn conversational english. It's never having anywhere to park, paying $6 for a beer, the smell of piss in the subway. Yeahhh city life....

I'm not sure about anyone else, but that is EXACTLY where I want to rotate through. That sounds like the ideal patient population to me. Different ethnicities and cultures, different types of diseases that you won't always find elsewhere, and lots of crime bringing a nice set of ppl to the hospital.

I should correct myself. I said previously that "I want to go into a competitive specialty." What I meant was that I want to leave that option open because I am very interested in the surgical subspecialties. Now this doesn't mean much because I have not taken the boards or rotated yet, so my interests can very easily change.
You have a lot of time to think about what specialty to pick and I would bet that over 70% of people going into medical school are unsure of what specialty they want to enter.
Also, realize that if you absolutely rock your boards, it doesn't matter where you went to school. However, I think all things being equal, CCOM gives you a better opportunity to pursue certain specialties IMHO.
Pretty much any residency other than IM, psych, peds, or ob/gyn will be competitive...you can do a search and look for which specialties are considered "super-competitive"

The most famous of course being the R.O.A.D. to happiness - Radiology, Orthopedics, Anesthesiology, and Dermatology.

Orthopedics sounds interesting now, but I'm honest to myself and I know that I haven't seen enough yet at all and the work that it takes to get ortho. I'm still very undecided and I expect to change my mind at least 5x before deciding....ala JD asking Justin, his pet unicorn, what specialty he should choose....

where did you grow up? if you grew up in a predominantly white community, then you are used to it and dont know any better (not saying you did)..like i mentioned, my comments are geared towards people who came from places like cali and such.

and yes, chicago is very diverse. but like i said, it is very segregated.

Are you kidding me? The area I grew up in was probably the most diverse place on EARTH, I kid you not. The district high school had students belonging to 49 different countries. The only school to beat that is some school in DC where all the diplomats' kids study. You really don't know much about Chicago I guess.

Are you kidding me? The area I grew up in was probably the most diverse place on EARTH, I kid you not. The district high school had students belonging to 49 different countries. The only school to beat that is some school in DC where all the diplomats' kids study. You really don't know much about Chicago I guess.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/12/...6921230316177/

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2...ation-26-dec26

http://www.luc.edu/curl/cfm40/data/minisynthesis.pdf

Ok so I am picking CCOM. NSU is a great school and believe me this was a tough decision, but I'm going with CCOM! So hello Chicago....

that is the dumbest thing ive ever heard. and i find it a bit offensive. plus, all of that is due to poverty, not diversity. crime is NOT racial. it has no color.

Replying to posts 49 and 50... I dont want to start a racial war, but...

1. The US Department of Justice
disagrees with you...

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm

2. The Federal Bureau of Investigation diagrees with you...

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/offenses/expanded_information/data/shrtable_03.html

3. Race, Crime and Justice in America studies by New Century Foundation also disagrees with you:

Major Findings:
• Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.
• When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly three times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife.
• Hispanics commit violent crimes at roughly three times the white rate, and Asians commit violent crimes at about one quarter the white rate.
• The single best indicator of violent crime levels in an area is the percentage of the population that is black and Hispanic.
• Of the nearly 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involving blacks and whites, blacks commit 85 percent and whites commit 15 percent.
• Blacks commit more violent crime against whites than against blacks. Fortyfive percent of their victims are white, 43 percent are black, and 10 percent are Hispanic. When whites commit violent crime, only three percent of their victims are black.
• Blacks are an estimated 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against a white than vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit robbery.
• Blacks are 2.25 times more likely to commit officially-designated hate crimes
against whites than vice versa.
Gangs
• Only 10 percent of youth gang members are white.
• Hispanics are 19 times more likely than whites to be members of youth gangs.
Blacks are 15 times more likely, and Asians are nine times more likely.
Incarceration
• Between 1980 and 2003 the US incarceration rate more than tripled, from 139 to 482 per 100,000, and the number of prisoners increased from 320,000 to 1.39 million.
• Blacks are seven times more likely to be in prison than whites. Hispanics are three times more likely.

So frankly, whether one agrees or disagrees with these statistics and how they are interpreted......
I found it offensive that you made fun of the first poster and said it was the dumbest thing you ever heard.

Replying to posts 49 and 50... I dont want to start a racial war, but...

1. The US Department of Justice
disagrees with you...

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm

2. The Federal Bureau of Investigation diagrees with you...

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/offenses/expanded_information/data/shrtable_03.html

3. Race, Crime and Justice in America studies by New Century Foundation also disagrees with you:

Major Findings:
• Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.
• When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly three times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife.
• Hispanics commit violent crimes at roughly three times the white rate, and Asians commit violent crimes at about one quarter the white rate.
• The single best indicator of violent crime levels in an area is the percentage of the population that is black and Hispanic.
• Of the nearly 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involving blacks and whites, blacks commit 85 percent and whites commit 15 percent.
• Blacks commit more violent crime against whites than against blacks. Fortyfive percent of their victims are white, 43 percent are black, and 10 percent are Hispanic. When whites commit violent crime, only three percent of their victims are black.
• Blacks are an estimated 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against a white than vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit robbery.
• Blacks are 2.25 times more likely to commit officially-designated hate crimes
against whites than vice versa.
Gangs
• Only 10 percent of youth gang members are white.
• Hispanics are 19 times more likely than whites to be members of youth gangs.
Blacks are 15 times more likely, and Asians are nine times more likely.
Incarceration
• Between 1980 and 2003 the US incarceration rate more than tripled, from 139 to 482 per 100,000, and the number of prisoners increased from 320,000 to 1.39 million.
• Blacks are seven times more likely to be in prison than whites. Hispanics are three times more likely.

So frankly, whether one agrees or disagrees with these statistics and how they are interpreted......
I found it offensive that you made fun of the first poster and said it was the dumbest thing you ever heard.
dude, that is ridiculous. yes, there is a higher rate among some races, but that is due to different social factors. there is no "crime gene" in our dna that some races fully express and others dont. Being black does not automatically mean you are at higher risk for committing violent crimes, instead, it is the social circumstances that are more prevalent amongst black individuals/community. if the tables were turned, and whites are dealt with those social circumstances instead, the trends and rates of crimes would be filpped around between the two races as well. pull your head outta your ass. a good example of this is the asian community. if you look at those higher class asians, such as chines, japanese, koreans which has higher educational attainment, crime rates are much lower, compared to thier more indigent asian counterparts (cambodian, laotian, hmong)...this is due to social factors. LEARN SOCIAL DETERMINANTS! IT IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF BECOMING A GREAT PHYSICIAN! YOU HAVE GOT TO STOP LOOKING AT ALL OF THIS AS SIMPLY COLOR! IT IS THE SOCIAL DETERMINANTS THAT MINORITIES ARE MORE OFTEN EXPOSED TO THAT DRIVE THESE RATES, NOT THE COLOR OF THIER SKIN.

you have got to look at this holistically ( kind of ironic, since you are all pre-osteopathic or d.o students)..part of the holistic approach, or an integral part of it, is to look at an individual and consider social factors that make an individual sick. It is not just the skin color that causes certain races to have higher rates of certain diseases, but the social determinants in which they live. same goes for crime rates.

Last edited:
This thread is a great resource for those trying to pick between schools. Let's not ruin it with a fruitless sociopolitical debate. This isn't the right place for it. Please PM each other or visit our very own Sociopolitical Forum if you wish to continue this discussion. Thanks! :)