Status
Not open for further replies.

doapplicant1123

10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
Status
I was accepted to both PCOM and CCOM and am trying to decide between them. CCOM students tend to match at both MD and DO hospitals. In addition, they also match at a lot of schools outside of IL. However, PCOM students seem to predominately match at DO schools and remain in PA to do their residencies. Is PCOM's residency match list as strong as CCOM's? I was wondering if anyone could provide an insight into the residency match because it could help me with my decision.

raptor5

Fooled by Randomness
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
May 28, 2003
Without cell reception
However, PCOM students seem to predominately match at DO schools and remain in PA to do their residencies
Yeah there does seem to be alot of that. PCOM like CCOM has many residencies. PCOM fills a large majority of them every year which might tell you something but I cannot personally vouch for their quality. Most people from PCOM match DO b/c most are from PA and plan to stay instate. PA is one of the states that require DOs to complete an ostopathic internship before licensing so some match osteopathic out of necessity. Its funny how an organization as a whole that has fought so hard to gain practice rights limits the practice rights of its members.

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
New Haven, CT
Status
raptor5 said:
PA is one of the states that require DOs to complete an ostopathic internship before licensing so some match osteopathic out of necessity.
So this means if I graduate from PCOM and then do an allopathic residency, I won't be able to practice in PA?

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
Duplicate thread, so closing. You should be able to get more informed answers in the osteo forum (where your other thread is).

As to your 2nd question, do a search...there are tons of threads addressing the osteopathic internship & the 5 states that require it.

Status
Not open for further replies.