CDCA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrKingSchultz

Reaction score
Im a D4. Do I need to take the CDCA exam (Endo/Pros/Operative) to be able to practice dentistry? I plan on doing a GPR/AEGD next year, for what it's worth. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Im a D4. Do I need to take the CDCA exam (Endo/Pros/Operative) to be able to practice dentistry? I plan on doing a GPR/AEGD next year, for what it's worth. Thank you
Yes. In every state except NY, you must pass a regional licensing exam (ADEX CDCA or WREB, or etc.). In NY, you can complete a residency and practice afterwards without a regional licensing exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. In every state except NY, you must pass a regional licensing exam (ADEX CDCA or WREB, or etc.). In NY, you can complete a residency and practice afterwards without a regional licensing exam.
There are actually a number of states that offer alternatives to the traditional licensure exam. NY is just the only one that will not accept them and requires a PGY-1.

If op needs specifics on any specific state, I would recommend looking at the interactive map that the ADA has. It isn’t 100% accurate, but it is a good start. Then you can verify on the individual state’s dental board website/application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh ok ty. So my follow up question would be- Say, I do not pass the CDCA ADEX boards and must retake them even after I graduate - may I still participate in a residency program or will they be forced to rescind my offer?

Oh ok ty. So my follow up question would be- Say, I do not pass the CDCA ADEX boards and must retake them even after I graduate - may I still participate in a residency program or will they be forced to rescind my offer?
Most residencies will require you to have passed before starting, but you can double check on their website.