Cedars-Sinai - Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDre3000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Cedars-Sinai Internal Medicine residency? How competitive is it? (My stats: Top 20 east coast medical school, 240 Step 1, honors in half of 3rd year rotations including Medicine, not AOA, no publications but some research experience, typical volunteer/extracurriculars)

What is their schedule/call schedule like? What is the patient population like? Etc. I am quite interested in living in LA, and know I am not a super strong candidate for UCLA, so Cedars seems like one of my best options. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

you should be fine. cedars has one of the relatively larger cali programs (~40 categorical interns). mixed batch (good number of mid west and east coast peepz). stepped up the game with solid fellowship (especially GI/Cards) match this past year so it may become more competitive for future class competition pool. if really concerned can try doing an away rotation if not too much of a burden.

cheers,

OP

based on a mtg i had going thru programs with my PD the other day at home school i think u will be beyond fine. he recommended i take it off my list in fact ("you could do better!" kind of things) and i am very similar to u in competitiveness. so def apply and i think based on that chances are awesome. i too saw the fellowship match and am still thinking about putting it on my list.

here is a question - u are 240/99, good rep school, good grades...how competitive does one have to be to go to UCLA?

Members don't see this ad :)
based on a mtg i had going thru programs with my PD the other day at home school i think u will be beyond fine. he recommended i take it off my list in fact ("you could do better!" kind of things) and i am very similar to u in competitiveness. so def apply and i think based on that chances are awesome. i too saw the fellowship match and am still thinking about putting it on my list.

here is a question - u are 240/99, good rep school, good grades...how competitive does one have to be to go to UCLA?

I just had my MSPE/Dean's meeting and was told that places like UCSF, UCLA, Stanford, etc. are not only some of the biggest names on the west coast for medicine, but the location makes them even harder to get a spot and thus they are ultra-competitive. I am a similar candidate as you two, and I was told that UCSF/UCLA are definitely within reach but I better apply to a lot of places if those are my top choices and I really want to live in California (eg. Less competitive academic places like Davis, or highly respected community programs like Cedars/Scripps).

Anyone know anything else about Cedars?

Last edited:
Are there any US-IMGs there?

cedars isn't competitive, with your stats you will get in.

Does anyone know anything about Cedars-Sinai Internal Medicine residency? How competitive is it? (My stats: Top 20 east coast medical school, 240 Step 1, honors in half of 3rd year rotations including Medicine, not AOA, no publications but some research experience, typical volunteer/extracurriculars)

What is their schedule/call schedule like? What is the patient population like? Etc. I am quite interested in living in LA, and know I am not a super strong candidate for UCLA, so Cedars seems like one of my best options. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You're good enough for Cedars. And I'd sent UCLA an app anyway, you might be surprised. Besides UCLA's main program there is a program at Harbor and Olive View, close by is UCLA's Pasadena program. If you want LA, don't forget about USC - it's a solid program, and you'll def get an interview there if you apply.

From what I remember, the call schedule was nice, work load is nice, patient population is your run-of-the-mill IM. Some people argue that Cedars doesn't get many of the poorer and indigent and while this is true, you'll have some of that too. LA is a melting pot, so you'll see all races and types of patients. They have decent fellowship match - and have a pretty big cards and GI programs and they seem to save a few spots for Cedars guys every year.

You're good enough for Cedars. And I'd sent UCLA an app anyway, you might be surprised. Besides UCLA's main program there is a program at Harbor and Olive View, close by is UCLA's Pasadena program. If you want LA, don't forget about USC - it's a solid program, and you'll def get an interview there if you apply.

From what I remember, the call schedule was nice, work load is nice, patient population is your run-of-the-mill IM. Some people argue that Cedars doesn't get many of the poorer and indigent and while this is true, you'll have some of that too. LA is a melting pot, so you'll see all races and types of patients. They have decent fellowship match - and have a pretty big cards and GI programs and they seem to save a few spots for Cedars guys every year.

ditto. pretty cush, not super competitive other than is a socal program. good gi/cards. esp cards. not much indigent stuff.

except didnt care that much for usc. that's me personally though. dont read too much into it.

ditto. pretty cush, not super competitive other than is a socal program. good gi/cards. esp cards. not much indigent stuff.

except didnt care that much for usc. that's me personally though. dont read too much into it.

does anyone know if cedars matches DO grads?

I'm a current 2nd year resident at Cedars. If I had this to do all over again, I wouldn't come here. I'm having a lot of trouble getting research in Heme/Onc. Subsequently, I don't think that I'll be applying for fellowship. That's the ugly truth here. They tell you during the interview day that everyone matches into fellowship. But they don't tell you that a lot of us are discouraged from applying. My PD even told me that I'd probably be better suited for a career in Primary care. Umm.. ok great. But I told him I wanted to do Heme/Onc. In retrospect should have gone to UCLA, USC, or another university program. Even UCI would have been better.

I'm a current 2nd year resident at Cedars. If I had this to do all over again, I wouldn't come here. I'm having a lot of trouble getting research in Heme/Onc. Subsequently, I don't think that I'll be applying for fellowship. That's the ugly truth here. They tell you during the interview day that everyone matches into fellowship. But they don't tell you that a lot of us are discouraged from applying. My PD even told me that I'd probably be better suited for a career in Primary care. Umm.. ok great. But I told him I wanted to do Heme/Onc. In retrospect should have gone to UCLA, USC, or another university program. Even UCI would have been better.

Can anyone else comment on this?
Is this still true for GI/Cards?

Dude your stats are awesome, send UCSF/Stanford/UCLA/UCSD. Applying is cheap as hell and you can try to group the interviews together to make it cheaper for travel.

Dude your stats are awesome, send UCSF/Stanford/UCLA/UCSD. Applying is cheap as hell and you can try to group the interviews together to make it cheaper for travel.

The OP posted this over 3 years ago so regardless of his/her stats he/she is already done with residency. Also, applying is not "cheap as hell" if you are a med student with no income. Once you start applying beyond 20 programs, it can become very expensive and add up, so it may be good to pick your programs wisely. Sure when talking money it is all relative, but we are talking med students who may be living off of loans and not independently wealthy.

In regards to Cedars, I had always heard that it was sort of the hospital of the stars and the ultra Hollywood wealthy. That being said, besides a pompous and entitled attitude of a lot of your patients and their families, you won't see the pathology you see from indigent populations seen at other Cali programs. Just something to consider.

This is the biggest misconception people not familiar w/ Cedars program have. Besides for unit rotations, the population that the house staff treats are not wealthy. The wealthy and well-insured have privates and are not on the teaching services.

Hi I am a third year medicine resident doing fellowship next year and I wanted to clarify some previous points. As far as research, there is alot of GI and Cards research going on and the program directors and attendings are constantly emailing us out these opportunities. I am not going into either of those fields but have had plenty o research opportunities. I actually have had to turn down research. The program director was very helpfull as were my mentors. The program director called the fellowship director of my favorite place. As far as having full support, I feel we are all well supported. I am very happy with my decision to come here as a resident and would not change that decision.

As far as typed of patients we see, it varies. The ICUs are closed icus in which we see anyone that goes there insured or not. On gmed wards at cedars we see underinsured and uninsured, on some of the specialty wards serviced like heart transplant and bone marrow transplant most patients have insurance for obvious reasons. At the VA we see all the veterans of course which are their own brand of bread and butter medicine. The end result is a varied mix of patients, with both men and women, really young all the way to really old. If you have nay questions about hte program just ask the residents at interview dinner.

a lot of research opportunities in GI/Cards, like all research, one needs to be proactive in finding good PI's to work with that will advocate for you.