Cell Bio or Genetics for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtisO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to take Genetics, Psychology, Psych Stats or Regular Stats (for a certificate) and an Honors Gen Ed for my Fall of Junior year.
- This will be the last semester before I plan to take the MCAT in January.
- Unfortunately, my University offers one Psych and Genetics class and they meet at the same time!
- I could take Cell Bio instead of Genetics
- I am thinking about high yield options, I looked on some forums and saw that Genetics doesn't go too in depth, but psychology is a whole section.
-What would you do if you were in my position, and would you replace a stats class with anything before I take the MCAT? (I have taken: Bio, Chem, Organic, Biochem, Physics- All 1 year worth except for Biochem)

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to take Genetics, Psychology, Psych Stats or Regular Stats (for a certificate) and an Honors Gen Ed for my Fall of Junior year.
- Unfortunately, my University offers one Psych and Genetics class and they meet at the same time!
- I am thinking about high yield options, I looked on some forums and saw that Genetics doesn't go too in depth, but psychology is a whole section.
-What would you do if you were in my position, and would you replace a stats class with anything before I take the MCAT? (I have taken: Bio, Chem, Organic, Biochem, Physics- All 1 year worth except for Biochem)

THANKS!
Take cell and psych. Genetics is very helpful, but it is fairly surface level for MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Take cell and psych. Genetics is very helpful, but it is fairly surface level for MCAT.

This. Nothing from a genetics course that isn't taught in a general bio course will show up.

Recombination frequencies, detailed protein complexes for replication/transcription, etc are all taught in genetics courses but don't show up anywhere on the MCAT.

I agree with other commenters. Any genetics on the MCAT can be learned quickly with Khan Academy videos. On the other hand, a semester of Cell Bio would go a long way.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This. Nothing from a genetics course that isn't taught in a general bio course will show up.

Recombination frequencies, detailed protein complexes for replication/transcription, etc are all taught in genetics courses but don't show up anywhere on the MCAT.
On this note, however: I will say that having a strong background in genetics, while it does not directly contribute to knowledge for answering questions, it CAN be helpful in being able to fluently read genetics related passages (as those can be quite dense).

The above is not for OP - OP should do Cell and Psych. The above is for anyone reading who has the time to do both before MCAT.

Def cell bio.It will be super helpful for the MCAT- make sure you are going to be taking a cell bio course that incorporates papers or a journal club. My cell bio course had us reading 2 articles a week in addition to all lecture materials.

Psych is not necessary for the MCAT- you can self study using khan academy, the reddit doc, and anki. I took the MCAT having never taken a psych or soc course and scored a 132. I have heard that some schools will be requiring social sciences as a pre-req so it might be smart to take it regardless of how useful it is for the MCAT. Psych stats is definitely not necessary either.

Recombination frequency questions are on the mcat

On this note, however: I will say that having a strong background in genetics, while it does not directly contribute to knowledge for answering questions, it CAN be helpful in being able to fluently read genetics related passages (as those can be quite dense).

The above is not for OP - OP should do Cell and Psych. The above is for anyone reading who has the time to do both before MCAT.

True, but I feel like that has more to do with fluent reading skills rather than going in with genetics knowledge

THANKS!
Depends on how much Genetics you were taught in your biochem and Gen bio courses. Get a hold of a kaplan bio/biochem book and see if things look familiar. If so, then you probably won't be burned too bad.

Take genetics before med school though, it's helpful.

Depends on how much Genetics you were taught in your biochem and Gen bio courses. Get a hold of a kaplan bio/biochem book and see if things look familiar. If so, then you probably won't be burned too bad.

Take genetics before med school though, it's helpful.

How many reps on that 300 bench?

True, but I feel like that has more to do with fluent reading skills rather than going in with genetics knowledge
True, I guess part of my genetics course was a weekly discussion on an assigned genetics paper.

If anyone else has difficulties reading research and is looking for cheap and relevant practice, NEJM is like $50 a year for undergrads. That has improved every facet of my research reading.

On OPs topic though, still do Psych and Cell

Def cell bio.It will be super helpful for the MCAT- make sure you are going to be taking a cell bio course that incorporates papers or a journal club. My cell bio course had us reading 2 articles a week in addition to all lecture materials.

Psych is not necessary for the MCAT- you can self study using khan academy, the reddit doc, and anki. I took the MCAT having never taken a psych or soc course and scored a 132. I have heard that some schools will be requiring social sciences as a pre-req so it might be smart to take it regardless of how useful it is for the MCAT. Psych stats is definitely not necessary either.
bro! I also got 132 psych. Literally the easiest section haha

1 rm. Bench is so hard to improve but that's just the path of the natty

Tell me about it bro! I started lifting at 17 and didn't pay attention to shoulders in the beginning. Now I can't improve my bench because my shoulders just haven't caught up yet so I have to get a chest workout in without a solid bench routine.

I took psych because it is a nice grade booster and forced me to study a subject I genuinely could care less about...

Currently taking both cell bio and genetics and studying for the MCAT.. cell bio is definitely helping more. Genetics has helped me as well but cell bio covers more relevant topics on the MCAT and is more applicable

Reactions: 1 users
I am presently taking Molecular Biology and Biochemistry while studying for the MCAT
Ideal combination.

If you havent taken molecular biology you really should for the MCAT and for medical school. The basics of genetics are covered in molecular biology, e.g. DNA, RNA, translation, proteins, enzymes therein, epigenetics, etc
I would def recommend Molecular before medical school, but the amount of detail is far in excess of what is needed for the MCAT. Even a genetics class is more detail than needed for MCAT.