Cell Therapy and Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc331

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does cell therapy add all that much to pathology? Or maybe the question should be, does pathology add all that much to cell therapy?

My experience with it so far has been that we harvest the cells via apheresis and then store them. Neither of these activities is new or exciting and I see our main competitive advantage being that blood bankers have experience dealing with the FDA and accrediting agencies.

Besides the administrative role, I suppose one could do basic science research. Do you see any other roles for a pathologist in this field? It's a fascinating field, but really it's the heme/onc folks and basic scientists at the heart of it. Am I missing anything?

Edit** I'm probably downplaying our role in the translation research a bit too much. It is a big deal and our laboratory expertise is useful**

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does cell therapy add all that much to pathology? Or maybe the question should be, does pathology add all that much to cell therapy?

My experience with it so far has been that we harvest the cells via apheresis and then store them. Neither of these activities is new or exciting and I see our main competitive advantage being that blood bankers have experience dealing with the FDA and accrediting agencies.

Besides the administrative role, I suppose one could do basic science research. Do you see any other roles for a pathologist in this field? It's a fascinating field, but really it's the heme/onc folks and basic scientists at the heart of it. Am I missing anything?

Edit** I'm probably downplaying our role in the translation research a bit too much. It is a big deal and our laboratory expertise is useful**

I'd say it depends. One could approach it from the collection/storage side, treatment, or the research angle. AABB has some good resources for this topic:

Reactions: 1 user

Can you make a good living doing this? I mean where’s the bucks. Is there a decent paying CPT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk.... I'm asking ya'll.

I would doubt it, particularly as a “ mainstay”. I may be wrong, but I believe the whole clinical field of “ cell therapy” is composed largely of abusive practices of dubious clinical usage. BUT i have been out of class for 8 years.

Reactions: 1 user