Cellular respiration????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waitingame

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cant find where pyruvate decarboxilation takes places.... mitochondria matrix???

Also wanted to make sure Citric acid cycle... Mitochondria matrix and the ETC is the inner mitochondria matrix correct. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

pyruvate decarboxylase takes place in the mitochondria in the matrix, glycolysis takes place in the cytoplasm and moves the pyruvate + the NADH to the matrix of mitochondria.
TCA cycle also matrix and ETC happens in the inner mitochondrial MEMBRANE...also the gradient of protons it forms is higher between the inner membrane and outer membrane of the mitochondria to couple ATPase inside the cell (High to Low). hope that makes sense

yea i believe it's in the matrix. because products of glycolysis are 2 pyruvates and they are transported to the matrix. I believe that's where they lose CO2 and join with acetyl groups to become acetyl coA's.

as for the other two things, yea citric acid cycle is matrix and ETC is inner mitochondrial membrane

Members don't see this ad :)
so electrons in glycolysis are pumped from inner mitochondria membrane to matrix?
yea i believe it's in the matrix. because products of glycolysis are 2 pyruvates and they are transported to the matrix. I believe that's where they lose CO2 and join with acetyl groups to become acetyl coA's.

as for the other two things, yea citric acid cycle is matrix and ETC is inner mitochondrial membrane

so electrons in glycolysis are pumped from inner mitochondria membrane to matrix?

The 2 pyruvate products of glycolysis (which takes place in the cell cytoplasm) are transported accross the mitochondrial membranes into the matrix where the Kreb's Cycle takes place. The electrons produced are thus sent through the ETC has its molecules located on the INNER MEMBRANE. A proton gradient forms in the inner-membrane-space, and the last molecule in the ETC is an ATPase which uses the electrons to form ATP.