Census

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ondine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which questions are required by law to be answered?

Wiki answers says that only the first question, "How many people were living or staying in this house, apartment, or mobile home on April 1, 2010?" needs to be answered.

Some of the other questions ask for your phone #, name, date of birth, race - I don't feel like this other info is the government's business. What's the law?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_questions_do_you_have_to_answer_on_a_census

Members don't see this ad.

Wiki answers says that only the first question, "How many people were living or staying in this house, apartment, or mobile home on April 1, 2010?" needs to be answered.

Some of the other questions ask for your phone #, name, date of birth, race - I don't feel like this other info is the government's business. What's the law?

You don't feel like your DOB is the government's business? Don't you think they might have that written down somewhere, like with your Social Security Number...which they probably already have recorded with your address? Unless you're living in a shack out in the woods writing angry letters, what does it matter?
So to sum up: no idea what the answer to your question is.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't feel like your DOB is the government's business? Don't you think they might have that written down somewhere, like with your Social Security Number...which they probably already have recorded with your address? Unless you're living in a shack out in the woods writing angry letters, what does it matter?
So to sum up: no idea what the answer to your question is.

In the past census data has been used to realign school districts based on race and political districts so that one party would have an advantage. Look at some of the crazy district lines across the country and you will see what I mean. Sometimes they will cover a whole area leaving off the few houses reported to be the other party.

Illegal alien data is also used to skew the numbers.

The only thing you have to answer is how many people live in your house.

:scared::scared::scared::scared:
... They're watching ...

And they have been since 1790...

In the past census data has been used to realign school districts based on race and political districts so that one party would have an advantage. Look at some of the crazy district lines across the country and you will see what I mean. Sometimes they will cover a whole area leaving off the few houses reported to be the other party.

Illegal alien data is also used to skew the numbers.

The only thing you have to answer is how many people live in your house.

They don't technically re-align school districts, it's actually representative districts for the House of Representatives.

I don't even know what you mean by illegal alien data being used to "skew" numbers. The Census's goal is to count every single person residing in America. This includes illegal immigrants.

Ron Paul is kinda wacko, honestly. In that very post you linked to, he makes some vague threat of the government using Census information against people.

I've known this board was on the fear-mongering side for quite some time, but this is new heights, folks. Your data is lumped into "census blocks" which are about 39 city blocks in size, so there's really no way that someone's going to take your specific data and find out anything about you. Further, the data is used by lots of people for much more than simple tax apportionment and representation. It's used for all kinds of data-mining on the U.S. population.

But this being the Internet and the SDN Anesthesiology forum in particular, everyone will probably just respond that I'm a naive idiot if I don't believe Barack Obama is personally reviewing my census form for ways to take all my money and give it to undeserving crackmothers and the Chinese government.

Whoa. How wrong I was to joke about the government watching...

Check out this interesting write-up.

Ron Paul is kinda wacko, honestly.

I am unaware of any psychological assessments of him, but say what you want, Ron Paul understands economics better than every other person in both the House and Senate.

Last edited:
I don't even know what you mean by illegal alien data being used to "skew" numbers. The Census's goal is to count every single person residing in America. This includes illegal immigrants.

Counting illegal immigrants in the census is to use them to increase house seats in leftist-leaning disctricts with the goal of increasing democrat members in the house. The census shouldn't be used as a partisan political tool to lessen the representation of citizens.
Knowing their numbers would be good to make the dramatic underestimates from the CBO 'less inaccurate' when they have to put a price on the upcomming amnesty program for illegal immigrants. The cost will be particularly staggering following the expansion of medicaid / increased cost of healthcare bill passed last week.

Do you actually think they don't know this $hit already?