Cerner / ED Launch Point

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegenius

Senior Wharf Rat
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Want to ask if any ED docs have recently migrated to Cerner Dyn Documentation and using ED LaunchPoint. Currently at our shop we use FirstNet as our tracking board and Powernote for our notes. It is generally clumsy, has too many clicks, and not particularly responsive.

If you use or have made the transition to Dyn Doc and LaunchPoint, do these apps make your daily task of running an ER and charting substantially more simplified?

Members don't see this ad.

Transitioned both. Not better. Same nonsense imo.

It was Cerner’s version of trying to be like EPIC.

It still sucks

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Someone who knows more about PC stuff chime in.

Am I wrong in my thinking that the responsiveness problem (which seems to be pervasive between EMRs) would be significantly mitigated just by hosting data locally?

Right now, seems like I need to bounce to a server in the congo to find a 2D echo on a patient who has only been seen by my local cardiology group for the past 30 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone who knows more about PC stuff chime in.

Am I wrong in my thinking that the responsiveness problem (which seems to be pervasive between EMRs) would be significantly mitigated just by hosting data locally?

Right now, seems like I need to bounce to a server in the congo to find a 2D echo on a patient who has only been seen by my local cardiology group for the past 30 years.

Yes..it would be quicker to fetch the data from the ECHO done down the street than having the data signal bounce off an atomspheric satellite, go through a data server in India, back to the satellite, and then to your computer.

However the bigger deal with lag is the unfortunate problem that every "click" is stored in the cloud. So when you click on
- Insert Peripheral IV
- Cardiac Monitoring
- Pulse Oximetry
- NPO
- BMP
- CBC
- LFTs
- COAGS
- UA
- UPT
- Lipase
- Morphine 6 mg IVP One Time
- Zofran 4 mg IVP One Time
- CT Abdomen/Pelvis w/ IV Contrast

that is 14 round trip server requests, each of which take a distinct amount of time like 0.5 sec.

It would be better to send that data all at one. You can click on all of those very quickly, keep it stored locally, then send it all at once. Would save a lot of time

I used both during residency and my current shop migrated over to it a few months ago from Soarian. My other places I work have MediTech and MedHost. Are they not using FirstNet for your ED stuff as well? PowerChart is set up for inpatient and is a PITA for the ED. I have most of my favorite orders set up in LaunchPoint and makes it easier for stuff that not in the order sets.

I prefer it, probably because I’ve never been lucky enough to use Epic…

I’ve got all my favorites set up as well as my Dragon templates for charting in Dynamic Doc. I’ve never liked the PowerNotes option