Overheard in the ED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaBeADoc2222

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tech "Just one more year of nursing school, then two years in the ICU, and then CRNA school!"

Sigh...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone wants to wear the white coat, but nobody wants to carry those heavy books.

Reactions: 17 users
And with the rates I'm seeing for CRNAs, that tech is going to be making a salary equivalent to a lot of generalist employed physicians (EM included)

Burn it all down

Reactions: 3 users
Heh from what I've heard the average CRNA salary is well over 250K at many hospitals.

That's already equivalent to a typical EM MD salary in northeastern coastal cities.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
CRNA’s are getting bonuses. The southeast making about 400 K anesthesiologist are making about 800 K.

I can’t be mad though I can only hate on myself for going to medical school doing all the step exams doing residency doing written, and oral exams and then practicing in the ER where if a tech complains I get called in the principal office

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
CRNA’s are getting bonuses. The southeast making about 400 K anesthesiologist are making about 800 K.
The only thing that matters is the hourly rate. Who cares if they make 400k if they work 2500 hrs / yr?

I could make 1 mil at my job but I'd rather not work

Reactions: 6 users
Well at least not just online…
I’ve got one of the accelerated BS/RN —> online NPs working in our ICU now and my god is it terrifying.

Paralytics without sedation for vent synchrony. Giving intubated people ambien. Bicarb drips for low bicarb (ended up 10L positive —> pulmonary edema —> coded, tubed, withdrawal of care)

It’s a horror show.

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
I assume you crit care guys are going to get screwed with this midlevel thing too?

How does this change the outlook for your field's future? To give you an example my hospital only has NPs covering at night, and two NPs during the day, with only one doc (12 hour shifts)

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve got one of the accelerated BS/RN —> online NPs working in our ICU now and my god is it terrifying.

Paralytics without sedation for vent synchrony. Giving intubated people ambien. Bicarb drips for low bicarb (ended up 10L positive —> pulmonary edema —> coded, tubed, withdrawal of care)

It’s a horror show.

And nothing happens to the NP their board is nursing lol

And nothing happens to the NP their board is nursing lol
Who if they read the complaint, don’t see the problem.

That is an interesting angle. They want to practice medicine independently, you get to be under the auspices of the medical board. Brilliant!

meh.... I for one went into med school b/c I want to make the final decision.

It’s a horror show.

I mean... we did have the fake diploma mills in our area. So maybe theyre just all in our ICUs *guessing* at best practices.

I went to medical school because I was promised - at a minimum - a kiddie pool version of the scrooge mcduck pool from ducktails.

If I used only pennies, I still think its possible.

There’s a lot of situations where the decision you make can be the final decision if you don’t know what you’re doing 🤐

Even with “supervision”