Certifications worth pursuing for a retail pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pharmacy1999

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have come to realize I hate retail. I graduated in '09 and have worked as a pharmacy manager. I keep thinking it is going to get better, but I have found myself continuing to do more work, more flu shots, more stupid corporate BS all with less help.

I've been putting my application in online with no response for non-retail jobs. Does anyone think I'd have a shot in hell of doing LTC if I became a Certified Geriatric Pharmacist? Would it be worth it to join pharmacist associations in order to network? I moved across the country when I graduated, so the only pharmacists I know are in the same sinking retail ship that I am in.
 
I have come to realize I hate retail. I graduated in '09 and have worked as a pharmacy manager. I keep thinking it is going to get better, but I have found myself continuing to do more work, more flu shots, more stupid corporate BS all with less help.

I've been putting my application in online with no response for non-retail jobs. Does anyone think I'd have a shot in hell of doing LTC if I became a Certified Geriatric Pharmacist? Would it be worth it to join pharmacist associations in order to network? I moved across the country when I graduated, so the only pharmacists I know are in the same sinking retail ship that I am in.

I'm actually going to volunteer my time as a pharmacist in the hospital in order to network and potentially learn more. Personally, I think a BCPS - board certified pharmacotherapy specialist is probably more versatile in case you may want to branch outside LTC.

Can't remember what the requirements were for that though.
 
I have come to realize I hate retail. I graduated in '09 and have worked as a pharmacy manager. I keep thinking it is going to get better, but I have found myself continuing to do more work, more flu shots, more stupid corporate BS all with less help.

I've been putting my application in online with no response for non-retail jobs. Does anyone think I'd have a shot in hell of doing LTC if I became a Certified Geriatric Pharmacist? Would it be worth it to join pharmacist associations in order to network? I moved across the country when I graduated, so the only pharmacists I know are in the same sinking retail ship that I am in.

I'm specializing in geriatrics at my school. I've spoken with more than a few LTC pharmacists, consultants and professors as mentors, and they said that although a few years ago not very many people did residency, that their companies/facilities were pretty much only hiring residency trained pharmacists now. (And there is now at least one PGY2 program in palliative care, which they feel will be a trend). Not all of these folks are CGP certified, but the ones who aren't are at least BCPS, and most of them have at least one other certification as well (CDE for example).

For me personally, wanting to go into geriatrics and LTC, my plan is a PGY2 program.