Certified Diabetic Educator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MNSPHARM

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody has any insight on the job market and the actual practice as a certified diabetic educator? It is not that hard to become one and the pay is decent. But want more information of this job title. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody has any insight on the job market and the actual practice as a certified diabetic educator? It is not that hard to become one and the pay is decent. But want more information of this job title. Thanks.
are you wanting to change professions to a CDE or be a pharmacist with a specialty in diabetes? (two very different things). I know two CDE's at my hospital - I have no idea what the job market is like but there pay is in the neighborhood or a well paid RN

Reactions: 1 user
are you wanting to change professions to a CDE or be a pharmacist with a specialty in diabetes? (two very different things). I know two CDE's at my hospital - I have no idea what the job market is like but there pay is in the neighborhood or a well paid RN

I want to become a CDE. Although legally, for one to become a CDE ,you have be a pharmacist, RN, PA, etc. I want to make it my second profession ( none dispensing, just educating, lol)

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to become a CDE. Although legally, for one to become a CDE ,you have be a pharmacist, RN, PA, etc. I want to make it my second profession ( none dispensing, just educating, lol)
you do realize that will be a major pay cut? I know our CDE's make roughly 1/2 of what I make - you don't get a pharmacist pay if you are a CDE - If there is an opening and the offer is to either a CDE with a PharmD vs a CDE with a RN - they are not going to pay you more (maybe only slightly) just because you have a PharmD

That being said - money is far from everything and if it mean a better life/happiness, go for it

My heart goes out to all those unfortunate folk who have DM type 1. But honestly, let's not kid ourselves, the majority of the people with DM type 2 are grossly out of shape and obese through their own neglect. The real advice they need (and won't listen to) is grow a spine, get some self discipline, and eat healthy and exercise.

My heart goes out to all those unfortunate folk who have DM type 1. But honestly, let's not kid ourselves, the majority of the people with DM type 2 are grossly out of shape and obese through their own neglect. The real advice they need (and won't listen to) is grow a spine, get some self discipline, and eat healthy and exercise.
kind like a lot of heart failure patients

Shows your lack of knowledge of nutrition or the effect of Big Ag on our food supply.....

Shows your lack of knowledge of nutrition or the effect of Big Ag on our food supply.....

It's not just their own neglect. The food we eat is poisoned by by Big Ag. Why are cows fed corn? What does this do the the meat we eat? How is it changed? How does this affect heart disease? Why do they put salt in breakfast cereal? Why did the portion size for a soda go from 8oz to 32 oz? What is the effect of using corn sweeteners instead of sugar? Why do low fat Lean Cuisine servings contain a salt bomb? What does the use of artificial sweeteners do to diabetics? The list is endless. Some people are sick because they make poor choices and some are being poisoned by our food supply......

Reactions: 2 users
It's not just their own neglect. The food we eat is poisoned by by Big Ag. Why are cows fed corn? What does this do the the meat we eat? How is it changed? How does this affect heart disease? Why do they put salt in breakfast cereal? Why did the portion size for a soda go from 8oz to 32 oz? What is the effect of using corn sweeteners instead of sugar? Why do low fat Lean Cuisine servings contain a salt bomb? What does the use of artificial sweeteners do to diabetics? The list is endless. Some people are sick because they make poor choices and some are being poisoned by our food supply......

I don't deny that a lot of this stuff is a problem. Hence the move for people to "eat healthy" (I was trying to encompass everything in that statement) and look for organic foods, non GMO, etc. Pretty much everything you listed has merit and is why Americans are unhealthy. Yes, I do think that "Big Ag" is a problem, but everyone has a self responsibility to their health.

I don't deny that a lot of this stuff is a problem. Hence the move for people to "eat healthy" (I was trying to encompass everything in that statement) and look for organic foods, non GMO, etc. Pretty much everything you listed has merit and is why Americans are unhealthy. Yes, I do think that "Big Ag" is a problem, but everyone has a self responsibility to their health.

It's hard when all of society is working against you. It's also ridiculous that people need an RD to eat.....

Lol Big Ag.

Don't go putting on your tin foil hat and eating all your organic/gluten free foods all at once.

Members don't see this ad :)

Remember back in the 70's and before how waifish people were? There used to be only one token "fat"kid in class and by today's standards he would be lean. Next time you watch an old movie you'll notice how American physiques have changed. Our food supply has changed.

Lol Big Ag.

Don't go putting on your tin foil hat and eating all your organic/gluten free foods all at once.

To the Op, as a pure CDE, I would echo the above and that's going to be quite a pay cut. Then again, I don't think it bodes well for most ambulatory care pharmacists because the FACHE thought is coming around to nursing education and disease state management being in a position to deliver comparable outcomes at a fraction of the pharmacist price (anticoagulation excepted, but that's highly dependent on warfarin's future).

Well, the tricky part is that there really isn't a strong base good evidence-based anything on nutrition. Almost all of what we know about malnutrition was done on somewhat unwilling volunteers in the Minnesota Starvation Experiment. But it's not like even our near ancestors ate any better, they just died early enough where it really didn't matter what they ate, drank, smoked, etc. Most of the real work that needs to be done has to be done on humans now, but most of the experiments that would be conclusive are on the very edge of what an IRB would consider. Unless we are willing to risk subjects in real difficult circumstances, animal models only get us so far, and we find too often that they don't extrapolate to our biochemistry.

US Life Expectancy adjusted for neonatal mortality:
http://u.demog.berkeley.edu/~andrew/1918/figure2.html

and methodology commentary:
http://u.demog.berkeley.edu/~andrew/mean-age-2009.pdf

I'm pretty ok with a patient dying of heart failure in their late 70s onward, I actually consider that "healthy" but that may be my own sense of seeing geriatrics all the time. I suppose you could eat the Seventh Day Adventist diet, it does really work, but I enjoy my red meat and wine a bit much for that and willing to take the life expectancy hit. If you think Asian food or lifestyles are any better, there's something else going on:

http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/35/4/903.short

From the actuarial perspective, even the Asian immigrant populations life expectancy converge to the natives where they live.

And yeah, I agree with Old Timer on this one. While there isn't good evidence on any particular diet working (in fact, there's actually good evidence that none of them really work due to the way your body compensates), we are getting plenty of evidence back on food additives such that FDA is having to really retackle GRAS definitions. I'm not organic, but I am fairly anti-additive to the point that we mostly cook ourselves from the basic ingredients (and that our meat kind of sucks).

The sad part is that I've come to the conclusion that with lifestyle diseases, most patients (including myself) only hope is to not be at all. Most people can't lose weight consistently and permanently (in the same way that I don't believe that most people can quit smoking permanently). It does happen, but they are exceptional people and not the norm. For most normal people, the only way it can work is to not gain weight (as in always try to stay at normal weight), don't try smoking in the same way that I shouldn't try cocaine, because I'd probably like it too much...But it's hard to avoid based on a possibility, but I think the reality is too hard to deal with.

Most people can't afford Whole Paycheck. Besides, most corporate organics are marketing hype. Their nutritional content more times than not isn't what is advertised. Management of our topsoil is another travesty. I think King Corn delves into that as well.

And how exactly is corn feed beef any worse than grass fed? All that matters is the total fat content. Grass fed beef is just a waste of resources... less efficient.

How are organic foods or non-GMO any better? The fact is they are less efficient to produce and it's honestly unethical to lose a significant portion of your yeild at no benefit when there are people starving.

People aren't 300 pounds because of GMO crops, it's because they eat McDonalds and prepackaged meals every single day. They also eat 2x or 3x portion sizes. It's not a big mystery.

Reactions: 2 users
How are organic foods or non-GMO any better? The fact is they are less efficient to produce and it's honestly unethical to lose a significant portion of your yeild at no benefit when there are people starving.

People aren't 300 pounds because of GMO crops, it's because they eat McDonalds and prepackaged meals every single day. They also eat 2x or 3x portion sizes. It's not a big mystery.

2nd.

100% fault lies within the consumer and failing to educate themselves on how to read a nutrition label, eat healthily, track macronutrients, eat a caloric deficit to lose weight (and exercise simultaneously), etc.

Yes, there are bad food options, but the public choses to eat twinkies/pizza/mcdonalds rather than chicken/rice/broccoli.

Supposedly there are less chemicals in the producing process and so it's overall healthier. Less risk of cancer for example.

Supposedly there are less chemicals in the producing process and so it's overall healthier. Less risk of cancer for example.

Vast majority of data thus far has shown that to be false, just saying.

It's a marketing gimmick, with no significant nutritional superiority. Just paying for the word organic.

Some good reads here:
(1) https://www.geneticliteracyproject....ous-deeply-flawed-say-independent-scientists/
(2) http://theness.com/neurologicablog/...rming-meta-analysis-what-does-it-really-show/
(3) http://www.crediblehulk.org/index.p...alysis-published-in-the-bjn-by-credible-hulk/
(4) http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevens...nd-why-you-might-want-to-either/#45a185f91c2e
(5) http://www.forbes.com/sites/henrymi...-agriculture-is-a-colossal-hoax/#22118e2a38e4

Last edited:
And how exactly is corn feed beef any worse than grass fed? All that matters is the total fat content. Grass fed beef is just a waste of resources... less efficient.

A primer on roundup ready corn, or Bt corn.

http://www.powershow.com/view/11e083-YzVlY/Bt_corn_powerpoint_ppt_presentation

Now Monsanto and Big Ag claim that Cry1Ab proteins are only selective for insects. Mammalian cells have nothing to worry. But the research that claims that is all sponsored by....Big Ag.

http://www.gmwatch.org/component/content/article/13142

"And testing is not actually performed on the Bt toxin extracted from GM plants, which would be the scientific way, as it is claimed that it is too expensive to isolate. Instead, testing is done on Bt toxin isolated from E. coli bacteria (as is the norm for GM risk assessments). The protein would be different from that present in the actual GM crop."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10353588

"These data indicate that Cry1Ac is a potent systemic and mucosal immunogen."

A primer on roundup ready corn, or Bt corn.

http://www.powershow.com/view/11e083-YzVlY/Bt_corn_powerpoint_ppt_presentation

Now Monsanto and Big Ag claim that Cry1Ab proteins are only selective for insects. Mammalian cells have nothing to worry. But the research that claims that is all sponsored by....Big Ag.

http://www.gmwatch.org/component/content/article/13142

"And testing is not actually performed on the Bt toxin extracted from GM plants, which would be the scientific way, as it is claimed that it is too expensive to isolate. Instead, testing is done on Bt toxin isolated from E. coli bacteria (as is the norm for GM risk assessments). The protein would be different from that present in the actual GM crop."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10353588

"These data indicate that Cry1Ac is a potent systemic and mucosal immunogen."

Yet there is not one confirmed case of hyperallergenicity in human consumption. For something that has been on the market for years even I figured you would be able to better than a study in mice. The data simply isn't there; the scientific consensus is that no threat is posed.

You should know better than to use the word "chemical" like that makes it bad. Remind me which food is chemical-free? ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Yet there is not one confirmed case of hyperallergenicity in human consumption. For something that has been on the market for years even I figured you would be able to better than a study in mice. The data simply isn't there; the scientific consensus is that no threat is posed.

You're not looking for classical presentation of acute hypersensitivity reactions. Think persistent autoimmune disorders. Crohn's, UC, and IBS especially in kids.

Dog food. Why the recent craze in grain-free dog food? Because the corn meal used is Bt corn. Science Diet, the crap pushed by vets, is poison.

You're not looking for classical presentation of acute hypersensitivity reactions. Think persistent autoimmune disorders. Crohn's, UC, and IBS especially in kids.

Dog food. Why the recent craze in grain-free dog food? Because the corn meal used is Bt corn. Science Diet, the crap pushed by vets, is poison.

That's purely speculation. I hope you apply different standards to research when making clinical decisions for patients.

God forbid people realize dinner out of a frozen box that goes directly into a microwave before down your throat isn't the healthiest choice. You can seriously eat really healthy and get lots of exercise if it wasn't for people being so damn lazy and unmotivated. They'd rather change nothing and just take a multivitamin or a "fat burner" and hope for a miracle. Insanity!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

God forbid people realize dinner out of a frozen box that goes directly into a microwave before down your throat isn't the healthiest choice. You can seriously eat really healthy and get lots of exercise if it wasn't for people being so damn lazy and unmotivated. They'd rather change nothing and just take a multivitamin or a "fat burner" and hope for a miracle. Insanity!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Totally agree dunno how I got dragged into a match defending "Big Ag" and organics I thought having a healthy lifestyle and eating habits were at least 80% by choice.

No one is disputing having a "healthy lifestyle and eating habits". I am just asking for any evidence that organic or non-GMO has been shown to be healthier. Like mentioned above, it is actually unethical to promote systems of growing and storing food that produces less and lets more food spoil.

Eating healthy isn't *that* cheap or easy (produce costs way more than donuts for example), but it is a personal choice, the vast majority of people could eat healthier if they made it a priority, myself included. And exercise is (or at least can be) free, so obviously that is a personal choice.

Not so, while I don't have epidemiological evidence. It alters the ratio of Omega 6 and Omega 3 for the bad. Grass fed beef may be less efficient, but that's not the argument. First if you believe in God, God did not intend cows to eat corn. If the accept evolution, cows have evolved to eat grass. Very few ruminants (if any) eat corn. It's not natural. It's just done to increase profit at the expense of the planet and potentially the health of the public. And if you are honest, grass fed meat tastes better.

Finally, we eat too much meat. Period. I certainly accept that humans are omnivores and I love beef as much if not more than the next guy, but every decent study shows the more vegetable products we eat and the less animal products we eat, the healthier we will be.

When I was young, oh so many years ago and you went to McDonalds you got a burger a small fries and a 10 oz soda. There was no Big Mac, no super size with 32 oz sodas. When Coca Cola started out the serving size was 5 oz now its 20+ ounces. Everywhere you go, super size, biggie size. Portion size is out of control. We don't eat the way nature intended,. We don't east seasonally, we are too far from our food. I don't want a pepper from Holland. I want one from NY, NJ or PA.

Not all, but a great deal has to do with marketing by the food industry. Now that they banned trans fats, they are going to use interesterified oils. There is no proof os safety with these chemicals, but they are about to become part of our food supply. The products will be marketed as free of trans fats (AKA Healthy). Do you know what interesterified oils are? How about the average Joe looking at a food package.

We live in a try it know, fix it later society. Look at Triclosan. I stopped using hand sanitizers with Triclosan years ago. Soap and water for me.

GMO's are interesting. You know why you should be cautious. They are opposed to labeling laws. If you don't want to eat them, why should you be forced to. Let them stand side by side and see what sells better. 30 years from now when we find out they are bad for you they will have made trillions and will happily pay the millions in damages.......

When I was young, oh so many years ago and you went to McDonalds you got a burger a small fries and a 10 oz soda. There was no Big Mac, no super size with 32 oz sodas. When Coca Cola started out the serving size was 5 oz now its 20+ ounces. Everywhere you go, super size, biggie size. Portion size is out of control. We don't eat the way nature intended,. We don't east seasonally, we are too far from our food. I don't want a pepper from Holland. I want one from NY, NJ or PA.

Not all, but a great deal has to do with marketing by the food industry. Now that they banned trans fats, they are going to use interesterified oils. There is no proof os safety with these chemicals, but they are about to become part of our food supply. The products will be marketed as free of trans fats (AKA Healthy). Do you know what interesterified oils are? How about the average Joe looking at a food package.

We live in a try it know, fix it later society. Look at Triclosan. I stopped using hand sanitizers with Triclosan years ago. Soap and water for me.

GMO's are interesting. You know why you should be cautious. They are opposed to labeling laws. If you don't want to eat them, why should you be forced to. Let them stand side by side and see what sells better. 30 years from now when we find out they are bad for you they will have made trillions and will happily pay the millions in damages.......

There's no question that GMOs would not sell as well if they were labeled as such. Just look at the market for homeopathic medicine. Those are the same people that would be buying non-GMO food at a premium. It's based on perception rather than evidence. I wouldn't want my product to be perceived negatively for reasons that have no merit.

There's no question that GMOs would not sell as well if they were labeled as such. Just look at the market for homeopathic medicine. Those are the same people that would be buying non-GMO food at a premium. It's based on perception rather than evidence. I wouldn't want my product to be perceived negatively for reasons that have no merit.

So since Monsanto wants to make money, I as the consumer have no choice but to eat their unproven crap. I as the consumer should decide what I put into my body. I personally hate Monsanto and the heavyhanded way they are attempting to blackmail small farmers because a bird dragged a seed or two into the next field. The idea you can patent a DNA structure is the height of folly and arrogance.

I prefer clarity to agreement. You have your view and I have mine. Others can decide for themselves.

So since Monsanto wants to make money, I as the consumer have no choice but to eat their unproven crap. I as the consumer should decide what I put into my body. I personally hate Monsanto and the heavyhanded way they are attempting to blackmail small farmers because a bird dragged a seed or two into the next field. The idea you can patent a DNA structure is the height of folly and arrogance.

I prefer clarity to agreement. You have your view and I have mine. Others can decide for themselves.

Not sure what crappy/fear mongering anti-GMO documentaries you watch or if you just have no idea what you're talking about, but it's actually ACRES (several, and multiple fields worth) of plants being found that were not authorized. Not just a handful of plants from seeds that are mysteriously moving away, or a "bird dragging seed".

Good lord you are in the wrong profession if you are anti-GMO/Monsanto/Biotechnology. You are against science, and working in a evidence based/science field....

http://www.testbiotech.org/sites/default/files/Testbiotech_Transgene_Escape.pdf

60329852.jpg

Not sure what crappy/fear mongering anti-GMO documentaries you watch or if you just have no idea what you're talking about, but it's actually ACRES (several, and multiple fields worth) of plants being found that were not authorized. Not just a handful of plants from seeds that are mysteriously moving away, or a "bird dragging seed".

Good lord you are in the wrong profession if you are anti-GMO/Monsanto/Biotechnology. You are against science, and working in a evidence based/science field....

It's real simple. There is no proof this is safe and I don't want to eat it. Feel free if you want. I'm sure you were fine with trans fats and now that hey are out you will be happy with esterified oils.... I do not feel these products should be banned, they just should be labeled. If you want to eat GMO corn, have at it. Why should I be forced to eat it if I don't want to. Science is free to change it's mind at a later date if evidence changes. Hence margarine used to be good for you, now, not so much.. By the way Monsanto defines inadvertent contamination at greater than 1%.

There should be no issue with labeling food. If it's that great, it will dominate the market. The farmers will get better yield and lower costs which mean more profit and they don't need pesticides, so if this the second coming, labeling should have no effect.

Well, this thread has went a bit off topic. But to add onto your question.....CDE's are paid nurses salaries, not pharmacists. Personally, I looked into this awhile back, and while the knowledge part would be easy for a pharmacist, I found it would have been very difficult to meet the direct patient requirements to become a CDE. If your intention is to become a CDE for lifestyle reasons and take the paycut, then more power to you. If you think it will be easy, or that there is any advantage, to getting CDE certified while working as a pharmacist, I think you are mistaken.

It's real simple. There is no proof this is safe and I don't want to eat it. Feel free if you want. I'm sure you were fine with trans fats and now that hey are out you will be happy with esterified oils.... I do not feel these products should be banned, they just should be labeled. If you want to eat GMO corn, have at it. Why should I be forced to eat it if I don't want to. Science is free to change it's mind at a later date if evidence changes. Hence margarine used to be good for you, now, not so much.. By the way Monsanto defines inadvertent contamination at greater than 1%.

There should be no issue with labeling food. If it's that great, it will dominate the market. The farmers will get better yield and lower costs which mean more profit and they don't need pesticides, so if this the second coming, labeling should have no effect.

If you have such a problem with it just buy stuff that is labeled non-GMO or organic. No farmer is going to grow their crops in an inefficient way and not claim the non-GMO or organic labeling. Nobody is forcing you to buy or eat anything. This stuff has been on the market for decades... how many people do you know that got sick from it? It's a fad just like like gluten free. I can't even count the number of idiots who told me they feel so much more healthy or had so much energy since they started eating gluten free stuff. They don't even know what Celiac's is. I used to work in a restaurant and dealt with these clowns on the daily.

Well, this thread has went a bit off topic. But to add onto your question.....CDE's are paid nurses salaries, not pharmacists. Personally, I looked into this awhile back, and while the knowledge part would be easy for a pharmacist, I found it would have been very difficult to meet the direct patient requirements to become a CDE. If your intention is to become a CDE for lifestyle reasons and take the paycut, then more power to you. If you think it will be easy, or that there is any advantage, to getting CDE certified while working as a pharmacist, I think you are mistaken.

I really wanted to be a CDE, but they don't count any of your time as a pharmacist as direct patient contacts. It's incredibly difficult for a pharmacist to meet that obligation as BMT points out. There is no financial advantage for a pharmacist to be a CDE unless you were to open a specialty practice.

If you have such a problem with it just buy stuff that is labeled non-GMO or organic. No farmer is going to grow their crops in an inefficient way and not claim the non-GMO or organic labeling. Nobody is forcing you to buy or eat anything. This stuff has been on the market for decades... how many people do you know that got sick from it? It's a fad just like like gluten free. I can't even count the number of idiots who told me they feel so much more healthy or had so much energy since they started eating gluten free stuff. They don't even know what Celiac's is. I used to work in a restaurant and dealt with these clowns on the daily.

Look. If I buy corn, I want to buy corn that God created or has evolved through natural selection. After billions of years of evolution if you want to monkey around with food you should label that as GMO and leave at that. If food has been a certain way for an extended period of time, the newcomer should wear the label. If it's all it's cracked up to be, it would win in the marketplace.

As for celiac disease. It is actually under diagnosed. But you are also 100 percent correct that it is fad disease right now. I'm speaking of people who actually have the disease that are not being treated as opposed to the billions of idiots who wouldn't know what gluten is if you dropped it on their heads

Look. If I buy corn, I want to buy corn that God created or has evolved through natural selection. After billions of years of evolution if you want to monkey around with food you should label that as GMO and leave at that. If food has been a certain way for an extended period of time, the newcomer should wear the label. If it's all it's cracked up to be, it would win in the marketplace.

As for celiac disease. It is actually under diagnosed. But you are also 100 percent correct that it is fad disease right now. I'm speaking of people who actually have the disease that are not being treated as opposed to the billions of idiots who wouldn't know what gluten is if you dropped it on their heads

Fair enough I guess, though just because I'm an ass I have to mention that non-GMO corn is not even close to the result of natural selection thanks to selective breeding.

I couldn't help but think of you when I read this. https://medium.com/@nntaleb/the-intellectual-yet-idiot-13211e2d0577#.mc9ckoc5o

"The IYI has a copy of the first hardback edition of The Black Swan on his shelves, but mistakes absence of evidence for evidence of absence. He believes that GMOs are “science”, that the “technology” is not different from conventional breeding as a result of his readiness to confuse science with scientism."