Pharmacy techs can now be certified in MTM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rockinacoustic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't worry everyone- because you're too busy doing tech work, your tech can now do pharmacist work:

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
So this is how physicians felt when nurses got prescriptive authority.

Reactions: 1 user
Huh. I honestly would feel more comfortable letting a tech do data or product review than I would letting them do a DUR or MTM.

That is crazy. How can a tech possibly be able to do an MTM? Most techs don’t even know what a medication is used for or what class it is in.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This has got to be a joke in the definition of MTM
Huh. I honestly would feel more comfortable letting a tech do data or product review than I would letting them do a DUR or MTM.

That is crazy. How can a tech possibly be able to do an MTM? Most techs don’t even know what a medication is used for or what class it is in.
Or even spell or come remotely close to correctly pronouncing a drug name

Uh huh, keep adding more and more responsibilities and services & throw all of that training and liability (along with common sense stuff young people don't seem to come equipped with any longer) onto RPhs...without any financial incentive or compensation too just to add more fuel to the fire

I just did a FreeCE today that was basically about expanding the role of the tech. The presenter made the case that fears are emotion based and not evidence based. They made a few good arguments that just because you make something legal doesn’t mean you let everyone do it and that you can always restrict it to techs you actually trust to do it.

Consider me unconvinced to put it mildly. Cooperate will completely co-opt it and force it on everyone. I can’t image why any pharmacist would be ok with this, with the possible exception of the owners who can make a profit from it.

Reactions: 6 users
I would trust about five techs I’ve worked with to give me a vaccination. I would trust maybe two to do some kind of MTM. And I’ve worked with a lot of techs.

A lot of pharmacy students can’t do profile reviews or counseling without oversight…

Reactions: 3 users
I would trust about five techs I’ve worked with to give me a vaccination. I would trust maybe two to do some kind of MTM. And I’ve worked with a lot of techs.

A lot of pharmacy students can’t do profile reviews or counseling without oversight…

This was exactly the first thing that entered my mind -

Regardless of my years of being a tech (both retail and hospital-side), I still remember during my IPPE rotations to do MTM's for pharmacy reimbursements and to be sure to identify "pertinent side effects." The only thing that entered my mind was how I might trash the preceptors license thanks to my own overlooks. I didn't care what the state board of pharmacy said I could do within the realms of my intern license, I was focused on how I might screw over my preceptor (let alone not catching potential harm to the patient) due to my elementary knowledge-base.

Goes without saying, no way I could imagine properly doing an MTM as a tech (even a seasoned one at that).

Reactions: 3 users
So they'd wait for evidence that techs have no clinical knowledge to perform MTM?
They would probably say to run a study and see what the study says instead of jumping to conclusions. The presentation was more about immunizations and tech-check-tech than it was MTM to be honest so I am kinda stretching it to fit this topic.

Not sure why people think this is a "trial run" or something unproven. We've been operating these clinics since last year with amazing results. It's basically the Stratifi Health model but utilizing technicians. We've essentially replaced the ambulatory care pharmacist.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Not surprised. Long ago I knew that the powers that be were heading us toward a future where quality care exists only for the superrich

What kind of MTM? If they are talking about the kind where you call and ask a patient why they are a week late picking up their metformin every week, well sure, techs can do that. If they are talking about brown bag reviews and stuff, no way can a tech do that.

What kind of MTM? If they are talking about the kind where you call and ask a patient why they are a week late picking up their metformin every week, well sure, techs can do that. If they are talking about brown bag reviews and stuff, no way can a tech do that.
The Problem is that the actual definition of MTM states the following:

Medication therapy management (MTM) is a distinct service or group of services provided by health care providers, including pharmacists, to ensure the best therapeutic outcomes for patients. MTM includes five core elements: medication therapy review, a personal medication record, a medication-related action plan, intervention or referral, and documentation and follow-up.

Within the context of cardiovascular disease (CVD) prevention, MTM can include a broad range of services, often centering on the following:

• Identifying uncontrolled hypertension
  • Educating patients on CVD and medication therapies
  • Advising patients on health behaviors and lifestyle modifications for better health outcomes
MTM is especially effective for patients with multiple chronic conditions, complex medication therapies, high prescription costs, and multiple prescribers. MTM can be performed by pharmacists with or without a collaborative practice agreement (CPA).

Therefore, by definition a pharmacy technician does not have the clinical knowledge to conduct any MTM by its definition. I am not bagging or undermining any of the technicians' competencies; nonetheless, they just don't have the baseline knowledge just like a MA or a phlebotomist does not have the knowledge to perform any of a doctor's duties that must be done only by the doctor. I think, often times, that people forget that MTM stands for MEDICATION THERAPY MANAGEMENT. How do you manage therapy when you don't know anything about therapy management? How do you manage any of the 5 core elements of MTM by definition?

Medication therapy management (MTM) is a distinct service or group of services provided by health care providers, including pharmacists, to ensure the best therapeutic outcomes for patients. MTM includes five core elements: medication therapy review, a personal medication record, a medication-related action plan, intervention or referral, and documentation and follow-up.

While I don't disagree with you on that definition, the real question is, how are payor's defining it? And secondly, how is the PTCB defining it? I don't know, and it likely differs from payor to payor and from the PTCB. Is this scope creep? Possibly, maybe even probably. On the other hand, I know the definition of MTM will differ from hospital to retail, and differ depending on who you ask. I would want to know more about what the PTCB considers the MTM they are certifying techs in, before I condemn them.

Who the fk comes up with this ****?

The completely separated from working pharmacists reality APHA, of course. APHA is the one who started PTCB, not sure if they still legally oversee it or not.

Are they gonna increase the pay of techs then? Because for the amount of work they gotta do now, they deserve it