Certified Ophthalmic Technologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buntakun86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you don't know already, google it and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Get the recognition of an ALMOST optometrist :)

www.eyetec.net

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't know already, google it and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Get the recognition of an ALMOST optometrist :)

www.eyetec.net

At my current rotation at a VA hospital, we have 4 ophth techs that work for the OMD's. They are really helpful to an OMD because they perform quick refractions/tonometry, but they make no interpretation of the data they collect. Their education programs can range from 1-2yrs certification (example EVMS). Paraoptometric tech's can function the same way as the ophth techs. Some say optometry should function more like dentistry and ophthalmology by delegating work/refractions to their paraoptometric techs.

Depending on their scope of practice, some are sharp enough to interpret diagnostic data. Certification does not just stop after their educational program, some at a university level, but can be further pursued with continuing education.

Diagnosis and assesment plan are a different story. but it's interesting to notice the similarities rather than the MAIN difference. Common diseases like cataracts, glaucoma, and AMD are widely understood with the technicians I work with. (When I say common, I'm not emcompassing the odd-ball manifestations xD)

My coworker is planning to take the ophthalmic technician test soon. She is very intelligent and knows the clinical aspect of the job well. Surprisely, it's very similar to the price of the OAT :)