Certified technicians transfer prescriptions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxkrafted

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there certain states that allow certified techs to transfer prescriptions?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. South Carolina does as long as the tech is both state and nationally certified.

Members don't see this ad :)
who cares

Kind of important to know who can and can't transfer if you're supervising them or receiving a transfer from somewhere else.

In my state you can transfer rx as a ChPT (must also register with the state). However, you need to know the RPh on staff at that time too and document who it is on the transfer.

Reactions: 1 user
Kind of important to know who can and can't transfer if you're supervising them or receiving a transfer from somewhere else.

In my state you can transfer rx as a ChPT (must also register with the state). However, you need to know the RPh on staff at that time too and document who it is on the transfer.
Thats great

We all let our trusted techs do this anyway. Who cares. Who has time to be doing EVERYTHING (transfers, verbal orders, etc.)

I let my techs receive refills from doctors over the phone. It really isn't that hard. They simply print the refill request, denote how many refills and VOILA its a new prescription! If its a brand new rx, then i agree, too much risk. Take it yourself.

If a patient hands you a bottle from another pharmacy and it has all the info right on it, then let your trusted techs do it, man. Just have them call and tell that pharmacy that you're transferring it.

"Ain't nobody got time for that!"

We all let our trusted techs do this anyway. Who cares. Who has time to be doing EVERYTHING (transfers, verbal orders, etc.)

I let my techs receive refills from doctors over the phone. It really isn't that hard. They simply print the refill request, denote how many refills and VOILA its a new prescription! If its a brand new rx, then i agree, too much risk. Take it yourself.

If a patient hands you a bottle from another pharmacy and it has all the info right on it, then let your trusted techs do it, man. Just have them call and tell that pharmacy that you're transferring it.

So you beat D Howard in the dunk contest a few years back and are working for CVS now?

And you don't practice in a state where this is legal?

In IL, technicians can give the prescription, but they can't get the prescription....seems illogical. To my thinking either they are qualified to do both, or they are qualified to do neither. (and I'd trust a technician giving/getting a prescription any day over the people off the street that the doctors hire to call in prescriptions.)

No wonder you had so much time to work the metrics.

I've seen it all

Anything goes these days

As long as you don't get caught

Are you a pharmacist? If so you're gonna lose that license pretty quick dude if you think "anything goes"

In IL, technicians can give the prescription, but they can't get the prescription....seems illogical. To my thinking either they are qualified to do both, or they are qualified to do neither. (and I'd trust a technician giving/getting a prescription any day over the people off the street that the doctors hire to call in prescriptions.)

Makes sense to me. The idea being that if the tech screws it up the pharmacist receiving it will catch it. I think this is why in my state intern to intern isn't allowed. They want a pharmacist involved at some point.

Reactions: 1 users
No wonder you had so much time to work the metrics.

Are you a pharmacist? If so you're gonna lose that license pretty quick dude if you think "anything goes"

Makes sense to me. The idea being that if the tech screws it up the pharmacist receiving it will catch it. I think this is why in my state intern to intern isn't allowed. They want a pharmacist involved at some point.

I said I've seen it happen, I've never authorized any tech to transfer a prescription as the RPH nor will I authorize that. That is illegal in my state.

But the 5 months I've been a licensed pharmacist I've seen a lot of stuff happen that isn't exactly by the law.