Certiphi -- Addresses Issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eccesignum

I Narcanned Your Honor Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys.

For folks that've received the Certiphi background check email -- when they ask for previous addresses, I assume they mean from the beginning of your life.

Problem is, what if you don't remember the exact addresses? Between moving for school and various job placements, I've had something like 11-12 different addresses from the time I was born. I have no idea what my exact address was where I lived at in college nearly twenty years ago (plus I moved mid-college, don't remember that address either). Then I lived several years overseas at various addresses that I don't exactly remember anymore...and there's really no way to look them up. I'm not in contact with old roommates anymore.

I'm pretty anxious about not being able to complete this appropriately. Has anyone run into similar issues?

Members don't see this ad.

My guess is that like other background checks you are not required to have an exhaustive list but rather the most recent addresses. You can always call and ask how many will be sufficient.

Hey, guys.

For folks that've received the Certiphi background check email -- when they ask for previous addresses, I assume they mean from the beginning of your life.

Problem is, what if you don't remember the exact addresses? Between moving for school and various job placements, I've had something like 11-12 different addresses from the time I was born. I have no idea what my exact address was where I lived at in college nearly twenty years ago (plus I moved mid-college, don't remember that address either). Then I lived several years overseas at various addresses that I don't exactly remember anymore...and there's really no way to look them up. I'm not in contact with old roommates anymore.

I'm pretty anxious about not being able to complete this appropriately. Has anyone run into similar issues?

Hey, guys.

I actually just did this form and thought the same thing. It's ridiculous -- I am 43 years old, have lived all over the country, AND my parents moved constantly when I was a kid!! As far as I can tell, it only lets you go back 7 or so addresses. I was good for the last 6 or so. When I got to where things got fuzzy, that was when I was only 22 or so, so for the last one, I put my parents' address at the time and dated it back to when they moved to that house, which was when I was 18. I'm pretty sure my driver's license and other important records were still linked to their address back then. I suppose maybe I should have worried more or called someone and demanded the answer but you know it's highly likely that you will spend an hour on the phone and sending emails and you will get nothing helpful out of anyone, because they are simply not used to dealing with candidates like you (or me, or many other folks here).

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually just did this form and thought the same thing. It's ridiculous -- I am 43 years old, have lived all over the country, AND my parents moved constantly when I was a kid!! As far as I can tell, it only lets you go back 7 or so addresses. I was good for the last 6 or so. When I got to where things got fuzzy, that was when I was only 22 or so, so for the last one, I put my parents' address at the time and dated it back to when they moved to that house, which was when I was 18. I'm pretty sure my driver's license and other important records were still linked to their address back then. I suppose maybe I should have worried more or called someone and demanded the answer but you know it's highly likely that you will spend an hour on the phone and sending emails and you will get nothing helpful out of anyone, because they are simply not used to dealing with candidates like you (or me, or many other folks here).

Actually I just spoke to someone at Certiphi who told me that for the educational BG checks like AAMC they don't care how many old addresses you put in. If you don't even want to put in any that's fine :eek: I'm going to call back and ask the same question to someone else just to make sure but it sounds like the worrying might've been for nothing. :D

Reactions: 1 user
This might not apply specificly to you, but in case someone else comes across this I came across a thread where someone used their amazon account to find their history of shipping addresses. I thought that was pretty clever.

I also googled myself once to find a previous address for an FBI background check. i really hate those people finder sites, but sometimes they serve a purpose.

Actually I just spoke to someone at Certiphi who told me that for the educational BG checks like AAMC they don't care how many old addresses you put in. If you don't even want to put in any that's fine :eek: I'm going to call back and ask the same question to someone else just to make sure but it sounds like the worrying might've been for nothing. :D
I would love to know if they still say the same thing! I don't think I could possibly list all of mine...

Yeah, I forgot what some of my addresses were, so I just put the ones I remembered. Once they had finished the background check, they found all my old addresses anyway and tacked them on the reports! :)

Reactions: 2 users
This might not apply specificly to you, but in case someone else comes across this I came across a thread where someone used their amazon account to find their history of shipping addresses. I thought that was pretty clever.
A history of addresses will also appear on your credit report. Everyone is entitled to one free credit report per year, if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: 1 users

I also googled myself once to find a previous address for an FBI background check. i really hate those people finder sites, but sometimes they serve a purpose.
I did use my Amazon history for a couple but it didn't go back far enough because (1) I am really old and (2) for the first couple of years of Amazon, I only used it to send gifts to other people!

Hey guys hate to necro-thread-Mance but how quickly should I get this done. Is this something that should be immediately??!!! I am just quickly doing last minute checks for mine and will submit tomorrow afternoon

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked for a financial institution and the rule was general seven (7) years back was sufficient. They are most interested in you a an adult.

Hey guys hate to necro-thread-Mance but how quickly should I get this done. Is this something that should be immediately??!!! I am just quickly doing last minute checks for mine and will submit tomorrow afternoon

Judging from the Certiphi thread in the main forum many people haven't even received one yet, so I suspect you're fine.

Hey, guys.

Don't worry. Just do your best with how many you can remember. I know I missed one place I lived, and it came up in the background check without issue.

If they don't contact us does that mean we are in the clear??!

If they don't contact us does that mean we are in the clear??!
Have you submitted your info to Certiphi yet? If not, it seems like the email requests are still making their way out to people.

Once I submitted my info to Certiphi, I got the results back really quickly (less than an hour). But it may take longer. Once it was finished, I got an email that says "Student edition investigation completion." You get to review them (and are given an opportunity to dispute any findings) before they're released to schools.

Have you submitted your info to Certiphi yet? If not, it seems like the email requests are still making their way out to people.

Once I submitted my info to Certiphi, I got the results back really quickly (less than an hour). But it may take longer. Once it was finished, I got an email that says "Student edition investigation completion." You get to review them (and are given an opportunity to dispute any findings) before they're released to schools.

Wow...going on 9 days they've had mine and I've heard nothing except a request for a scan of my passport. Maybe it's my long history of moving around holding it up (I gave my addresses to seven years back), but now I'm a little worried.

Wow...going on 9 days they've had mine and I've had nothing except a request for a scan of my passport. Maybe it's my long history of moving around holding it up (I gave my addresses to seven years back), but now I'm a little worried.
I only gave them my last 3 or 4 addresses, all of which are in the same state. So maybe that's why mine was so fast? I'm sure it's just a processing delay!

I only gave them my last 3 or 4 addresses, all of which are in the same state. So maybe that's why mine was so fast? I'm sure it's just a processing delay!

Yeah...I've got multiple states and two foreign countries (including one not particularly known for its transparency), so maybe that's the issue. I hope. Useless anxiety argh, lol.

Yeah...I've got multiple states and two foreign countries (including one not particularly known for its transparency), so maybe that's the issue. I hope. Useless anxiety argh, lol.
I'm willing to bet the international addresses are what's holding it up. I had a brief moment of panic, too, thinking, Are they gonna find something I don't know about? :confused: Haha. But I think that's pretty unlikely.

I'm sure it's the international addresses. I filled all slots for addresses, which were in several states, (and I have attended a zillion colleges, too) and mine came back in a few days. You will be okay! Just breathe and try to focus on something else and it will come back before you know it.

I just submitted it Wednesdat I still haven't gotten an email yet but what should concern me?

Neurotic premeds will find reason to be neurotic. My old roommate in college is in admissions at a law school that does similar background checks. He said it's like CarFax for your life. They don't care about every oil change, they just want to check to see if there were any major accidents.