Certiphi and Traffic Violations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NastySpice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Look, I know that this has been discussed many times on here. But after reading through the threads on here on Certiphi, I still don't have a clear idea of how this whole process works.

OK - so it seems to be the case that the Certiphi background check that medical schools order is searching primarily for misdemeanors and felonies, and is searching through state, federal, and county databases. The medical schools are not requesting Certiphi to search DMV's for traffic violations, or to verify employment history.

OK. So lets say that I'm in the same boat as many, many, SDN users. No misdemeanors, no felonies, a few old speeding/traffic tickets. Ticky tack stuff. When asked on AMCAS, and on secondaries, if I have a criminal background, misdemeanors or felonies, I put no. Never been to court, never had a conviction. I play life safe, like most of you pre-meds out there ;).

In the vast majority of states, if not all, a speeding ticket is a NOT a misdemeanor. It is a traffic violation, payable by fine, no court appearance required. In general, DUI, DWI, and reckless driving are criminal misdemeanors with mandatory court appearances, criminal records, and possible jail time.

So WHY are a number of SDN posters, over the years, saying that some of their speeding violations are coming up as misdemeanors on the certiphi CBC?? Is it the case that in some states, a traffic violation is a flat out criminal misdemeanor, creating a criminal record - no traffic violation category?? A simple speeding ticket (i.e. 20 mph over) really only becomes criminal if you don't pay the fine, exceed your states points max, plead not guilty (maybe?), or were going say 40mph over the posted speed limit (which can be considered misdemeanor reckless driving).

I do not mean to mean to throw Certiphi under the buss at all. I do not know if they messed something up, if some states have overly harsh laws, or if some SDN members incorrectly explained their predicaments. I'm not pointing any fingers, just trying to figure this out.

Obviously, this whole thing can put any premed in a big pickle. If a speeding violation comes over as a "misdemeanor crime", now the premed has to explain to the school why they listed no crimes in the first place. Also, this sort of classification can, potentially, make the med school say "why is this speeding ticket on here as a mis, was it actually reckless driving or 40mph over?"

I looked at the one ticket I could find, and the misdemeanor box is not checked. But at this point, there is enough confusion that I'm worried anyway.

Either way, is it the case that medical schools do not start initiating CBC's for accepted applicants until January? Thanks in advance to whoever posts up some advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oh and, I did call Certiphi. They said that traffic violations should not be coming up as misdemeanors, if they weren't mis's in the first place. Which leads me to believe it is most plausible that some SDN posters were not explaining their situation correctly. Or they lived in states with real harsh traffic laws.

A misdemeanor is a misdemeanor. You should have access to the same court records that Certiphi is going to search. Just check what the procedure is for each of the states where you have a ticket and check your records yourself. It's easier in some states (online) than others (you have to mail things), but you should be able to get it.

I don't know which states consider speeding or some sorts of speeding as misdemeanor but based on other background searches that I've had to go through, WA and UT are not between them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know tx is a state where moving violations are class c misdemeanors. When I ran a background check all of mine showed up.

TMDSAS says not to report traffic violations though.

Georgia and Virginia have really harsh traffic laws. I received a ticket in Georgia for going 27 mph over on a clear highway (82 in a 55) and I got charged with reckless driving. In Florida that would've been fine, traffic school and we'd be happy. I will just let schools know during interviews. Washington University tells you not to list moving violations.

VA and GA need to chill out.

Reactions: 1 user
Georgia and Virginia have really harsh traffic laws. I received a ticket in Georgia for going 27 mph over on a clear highway (82 in a 55) and I got charged with reckless driving. In Florida that would've been fine, traffic school and we'd be happy. I will just let schools know during interviews. Washington University tells you not to list moving violations.

VA and GA need to chill out.

Let me clarify...you were going nearly 30 mph over the speed limit and it is Georgia's fault you got in trouble???

May I kindly suggest you take responsibility for your actions rather than blaming others.

Let me clarify...you were going nearly 30 mph over the speed limit and it is Georgia's fault you got in trouble???

May I kindly suggest you take responsibility for your actions rather than blaming others.

Do you even know how to read? Where did I mention not taking responsibility? Please don't be a pontifical idiot.

Alright... Thanks for the responses. It seems as though I can't jump the gun and order my own certiphi check before a school requests it.

Are there any reputable background check services that I can use... Government or private...

Though I could just call the two dmvs in question and verify their procedures...

Alright... Thanks for the responses. It seems as though I can't jump the gun and order my own certiphi check before a school requests it.

Are there any reputable background check services that I can use... Government or private...

Though I could just call the two dmvs in question and verify their procedures...
I believe that as long as you've submitted your AMCAS, you can order your own background check. You should have received an email detailing the procedure

I have called several schools about this. Just type up something and take it to your interviews. Schools ignore moving violations unless DUI or the like is involved.

That, if it's only speeding tickets that you're worried about. And call the courts where your tickets were handled. The DMV will not necessary have a record of them.

That, if it's only speeding tickets that you're worried about. And call the courts where your tickets were handled. The DMV will not necessary have a record of them.

Yea. Good idea. Yea it was just one speeding ticket, not reckless driving, and one other very minor moving violation.

The type of stuff that should NOT matter.... But at this point, now that I have an acceptance, I'm leaving no stone unturned, just trying to make sure everything works out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that as long as you've submitted your AMCAS, you can order your own background check. You should have received an email detailing the procedure

i might go ahead with that.

so i'd have to pay for it, then once one of my schools finally requests one, pay for another? or would i be able to use the original for schools...

i might go ahead with that.

so i'd have to pay for it, then once one of my schools finally requests one, pay for another? or would i be able to use the original for schools...

Ordering your own background check costs $80+. You don't have to pay for the checks run by the schools.

Schools aren't going to take away an acceptance over this. If you are that worried, send them an email explaining the two tickets. It's way cheaper than ordering a background check.

Ordering your own background check costs $80+. You don't have to pay for the checks run by the schools.

Schools aren't going to take away an acceptance over this. If you are that worried, send them an email explaining the two tickets. It's way cheaper than ordering a background check.

yea. thanks for the advice.

idk. its just the emotional rollercoaster of med school applications. u get the accetpance, there is a week of bliss, then now i'm in that post-bliss happiness/slight paranoia stage, trying to tie up all the loose ends before i go away to school.

There was a thread a year ago about a guy whose acceptance was rescinded due to an undisclosed speeding ticket that was classified as a misdemeanor in the state he got it in. He ended up becoming a donor and deleting the thread a few days later...

It's a ridiculous issue to have to worry about, but sadly some of us need to. I got a ticket going <10 MPH over the limit in a state that classifies speeding as a "type" of misdemeanor, but not a full misdemeanor, so I'm unclear whether this will be an issue for me as well :/.

To the OP, I would definitely purchase a CBC from Certiphi and see if it comes up. If it does, this way you could update schools appropriately, and if not, you know you don't have to worry about it. And update us if you do, I'd be curious.

There was a thread a year ago about a guy whose acceptance was rescinded due to an undisclosed speeding ticket that was classified as a misdemeanor in the state he got it in. He ended up becoming a donor and deleting the thread a few days later...

It's a ridiculous issue to have to worry about, but sadly some of us need to. I got a ticket going <10 MPH over the limit in a state that classifies speeding as a "type" of misdemeanor, but not a full misdemeanor, so I'm unclear whether this will be an issue for me as well :/.

That's what I'm saying - OP still has time to disclose these issues before the background check is run. I've seen the post you are referring to. To be truly safe, if he writes a letter to the school that has accepted him, they'll take it in stride. Stressful, but the cost is $0 and schools likely won't care.

Last edited:
alright so i did the student version of the certiphi background check... the one that amcas sends you the link to do if you'd wish....

and it looks like it charged me zero dollars? that was unnexpected. maybe the charge will come later?

anyway, my traffic violations did not come up as misdemeanors. definitely breathed a sigh of relief.

Also - does anyone know when schools order their own background checks?

AAMC keeps saying "after january 1st". Is that accurate? would it be some time in january?

Also - does anyone know when schools order their own background checks?

AAMC keeps saying "after january 1st". Is that accurate? would it be some time in january?
If you have been accepted somewhere by January, then it will probably be in January. If you have been waitlisted somewhere by January, then it's possible that it could be in January or it could be a little later. If you haven't been accepted or waitlisted anywhere, then it will happen once you've been accepted or waitlisted

I had a major car accident 8 years ago (someone was injured) and a speeding ticket 4 years ago in CA. Never arrested. Should I be worried? Should I order Certiphi?

I had a major car accident 8 years ago (someone was injured) and a speeding ticket 4 years ago in CA. Never arrested. Should I be worried? Should I order Certiphi?

I don't know, but you can order it just to be sure. It's easy and it's free - it takes less than a week.

I don't know, but you can order it just to be sure. It's easy and it's free - it takes less than a week.

it's free?!?!?!? I thought it was like a hundred dollars or something!

Same! I went on to start the process because I was curious, and stopped because I thought I read that it would cost at least $80. Is it really free?

No it's not free, the summary page will say you've been charged "$0.00" but the actual amount does show up on your credit card. It's not always the $150 max, I was charged significantly less.

i don't remember my username/password! ahhhhhhhhhh

Certiphi is actually pretty expensive they charged me 150 bucks and an accident of mine came up as reckless driving. So, it is advisable to get a self back ground check.

Same! I went on to start the process because I was curious, and stopped because I thought I read that it would cost at least $80. Is it really free?

No it's not free, the summary page will say you've been charged "$0.00" but the actual amount does show up on your credit card. It's not always the $150 max, I was charged significantly less.

My bad. I ordered it a month ago to check if a speeding ticket would show up. I just looked at my credit card and saw a charge for $45. Not too bad though.

My bad. I ordered it a month ago to check if a speeding ticket would show up. I just looked at my credit card and saw a charge for $45. Not too bad though.

:eek:

I just ordered it thinking it was free.

:(

I just ordered it thinking it was free.

:(

Ohh, I am so sorry! I thought it was free because it said $0 charge on the report. :(

I think it's worth it though, especially if you are not sure if something will show up. After all,you don't want med schools to think that you were purposefully lying or hiding something.

Sorry again, I will make it up to you. :). Food pics? :)

Is this report accessible only after you send your application?
I believe that you can only order a Certiphi report after you have submitted your application. AMCAS will send you an email after you hit submit telling you how to do it. You have to log in to some website so I don't think it's available until you've submitted

Is this report accessible only after you send your application?

Yes, I think so. But just to be sure you could go to their website and try to order a report without using your AMCAS Id.

Ohh, I am so sorry! I thought it was free because it said $0 charge on the report. :(

I think it's worth it though, especially if you are not sure if something will show up. After all,you don't want med schools to think that you were purposefully lying or hiding something.

Sorry again, I will make it up to you. :). Food pics? :)

or funny cat pics :)

It's alright, I was probably gonna do it anyway. Hopefully I'm in the clear :xf:

yea yea. the zero dollars came up on the summary and i was like HUH??? i figured it was a mistake. why would they do my work for free? lol.

i'm sure a charge will pop up on my credit card eventually. i'm ok with it though. it was reassuring to see that none of my minor traffic violations came up as misdemeanors.

it seems to only check for crimes in counties and states you've lived in. that's fair... and i guess its only practical - checking all of the counties in this country would be quite difficult. plus everything you do that is criminal probably just goes onto your main state record....

Last edited:
Yes, I think so. But just to be sure you could go to their website and try to order a report without using your AMCAS Id.

you can't do this.... there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the site where you can do this.

once you submit amcas, you will get an email that lets you pay for an amcas style background check. check your email trash or your "med schools" folder that i know every person on here has created on their gmail.

its important to do it this way, because this will order the same check that all of the med schools use. its the universal amcas check. certiphi is capable of checking for lots of things. but there are about 5 things that med schools are looking for. state, federal, and county crimes, medicaid/medicare fraud, and national sex offender registry. doing certiphi through the email amcas sends you will put you through these tests only. doing all 15 or so checks that certiphi can do would be longer and presumably more expensive.

The self-certiphi form comes with a confessional box. I suggested they pay particular attention to certain counties and certain years. They even called me back for additional info as they mined the databases. Final result: my youthful indescretions do not seem to exist as criminal records at the present time (whew).

And just to confirm, self-certiphi requres a current AMCAS ID attached to a submitted primary. They do NOT serve the general public.

you can't do this.... there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the site where you can do this.

once you submit amcas, you will get an email that lets you pay for an amcas style background check. check your email trash or your "med schools" folder that i know every person on here has created on their gmail.

its important to do it this way, because this will order the same check that all of the med schools use. its the universal amcas check. certiphi is capable of checking for lots of things. but there are about 5 things that med schools are looking for. state, federal, and county crimes, medicaid/medicare fraud, and national sex offender registry. doing certiphi through the email amcas sends you will put you through these tests only. doing all 15 or so checks that certiphi can do would be longer and presumably more expensive.

That's what I said, that's why I suggested that he confirms it by trying to obtain it (and inevitably fail)...

The self-certiphi form comes with a confessional box. I suggested they pay particular attention to certain counties and certain years. They even called me back for additional info as they mined the databases. Final result: my youthful indescretions do not seem to exist as criminal records at the present time (whew).

And just to confirm, self-certiphi requres a current AMCAS ID attached to a submitted primary. They do NOT serve the general public.

lol nice, good to hear.

by youthful indiscretions, are you referring to traffic violations, among other things? stuff you get tickets for, i.e.?

on the aamc website, it says infractions and juvenile record may appear on the background search, but schools vary in what they choose to look at.

but i believe certiphi said somewhere that juvenile record really doesn't come up. so i really don't know. maybe aamc is just covering their bases with that one.

Last edited:
by youthful indiscretions, are you referring to traffic violations, among other things? stuff you get tickets for, i.e.?

Yes. From what I remember of the incident (it was back in the 1900s), and my reading of current state law, I thought one of my moving violations could have been classified as a misdemeanor. But even after assisting Certiphi the best I could, and even doing some digging on my own, no records could be found of the incident. (whew)

$80 poorer and now I can sleep at night :)

Yes. From what I remember of the incident (it was back in the 1900s), and my reading of current state law, I thought one of my moving violations could have been classified as a misdemeanor. But even after assisting Certiphi the best I could, and even doing some digging on my own, no records could be found of the incident. (whew)

$80 poorer and now I can sleep at night :)

u were driving in the 90s and you're applying to med school now??

mannnn you are soo cool!!! hahahha. j/k ;)

Today I got my CBC and my heart skipped a beat.

All I saw was:

Sex Offender
County Criminal
Federal Criminal
National Criminal

Then saw that there were no records :cool:

Today I got my CBC and my heart skipped a beat.

All I saw was:

Sex Offender
County Criminal
Federal Criminal
National Criminal

Then saw that there were no records :cool:

woooo congrats hahaha. yea lucky for me i think i noticed the "no records" bit right away ;)

Do you think AMCAS also checks employment from your background check that you never listed on your application?

But on Certiphi's website, it also says that it verifies employment. For example, "Certiphi® will contact the applicant’s previous employers to verify employment history. We offer standard and custom employment history verification services, which can include verification of title, dates, salary, reason for leaving, eligibility for rehire, performance information, and additional client-defined questions."

So, how could we rule out employment verification unless someone got their background check back and it didn't have any employment verification?

So, how could we rule out employment verification unless someone got their background check back and it didn't have any employment verification?

Because I got my background check back and it didn't have any employment verification (and I've earned a paycheck for ten years).

Here's what it did have: name; date of birth; Social Security number; current address; other addresses; the results of searches in: the sex offender registry, county criminal records (felony and misdemeanor), federal criminal records (felony and misdemeanor), state criminal records (felony and misdemeanor), and the national criminal database; and whether you are an excluded party with respect to the HHS Office of Inspector General or the General Service Administration.