Cervical HVLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robert

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if students in other DO schools have seen or heard fellow students lose sensation in their arm after having HVLA done on the cervicals?

Members don't see this ad.

I have never heard of it, but I guess it is possible if the HVLA is performed recklessly. I would wonder if their decresed sensation is accompanied by muscle weakness, and also the pattern of sensation loss as they relate to dermatome segments of the brachial plexus. The brachial plexus is composed of spinal nerve roots C5 to T1, a pretty wide range of segments and spinal nerves to be compressed by a single HVLA technique. These individuals may have an underlying thoracic outlet problem which has been exacerbated by the stress of HVLA.

I know there's only been one documented case of "stroking out" from HVLA of the cervicals.

It's always a scary thought though. I heard a fellow student from my cervical practical experienced that and an ambulance was called ASAP.