Cervical RFA - active tip 5mm or 10mm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CarabinerSD

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been using 5mm curved active tip for my RFA needles for years since that's how we were trained in fellowship. Wondering if others are using 10mm curved active tip with better / longer results or is it too much burning area which could worsen neuritis?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Always 10. Just warn patients ahead of time and they do fine. If they can’t tolerate call in some gaba/lyrica.
 
Last edited:
I do that on lumbar… some concern about aberrant vessels in c spine, Dex only for me
Personally, I don't find steroids at end of RFA procedure to be that necessary for lumbar cases. I do find them useful for patients to tolerate the first week after a cervical or thoracic RFA. I always add depo/kenalog and bup to lesion area after T and C spine RFA if not diabetic.

I don't think the aberrant vessels are still a risk right after an ablation. For cervical/thoracic RFA, I withdraw 5mm, so the needle tip is in the middle of lesion, before I inject the depo/kenalog + bup. Any aberrant vessel in that zone would have been destroyed by the ablation that just happened.
 
Last edited:
I do that on lumbar… some concern about aberrant vessels in c spine, Dex only for me
I can understand that preoccupation for TFESI or an I-A injection, but for an RFA, if there was aberrant vascular anatomy, that artery has just been thoroughly destroyed anyway IMO.
 
Any worry with adding particulate, and size of particulate in cervical spine? I’ve heard of two, non reported, cord strokes from mbb with steroid no contrast in cervical spine..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any worry with adding particulate, and size of particulate in cervical spine? I’ve heard of two, non reported, cord strokes from mbb with steroid no contrast in cervical spine..
As mentioned, post #12 gives an excellent explanation.

It's also hard to understand why someone would use a corticosteroid, let alone a particulate one (in the cervical spine, no less) in a MBB when multiple studies demonstrate that there is no clear benefit to adding corticosteroids to a nerve block.