Cgp exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yougogirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does one prepare for geriatric pharmacy certificate exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm thinking about taking CGP exam next year, but I don't know how to study for it, either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait i never heard of this.. What is this certification and how do i qualify?? And how will it help me.. Thx in advance

I'm thinking about taking this CGP too. It's just I feel like I need to make myself more competitive in this pharmacy market.

It's Certified Geriatric Pharmacist. I think the requirement is pretty simple that you have to be licensed and practice as a pharmacist for 2 years. There's no restriction on which setting of practice or whether you have a residency or specific requirement of what you do (clinical vs. dispensing) like BCPS does.

So, what's the best resource for someone who wants to take it like me next year? I've only practiced for a bit more than 1 year. Does the program ASCP offer any good? And, given that I'm working inpatient hospital, is CGP any good at all? I know it's best for consultant pharmacists for Nursing Home, LTACs, etc., but what about inpatient staff pharmacist, as well-recognized as BCPS?

It's kinda known as the step - child of the specialty cerifications, definitely not as well respected compared to bcps. But if you work in a practice setting that would benefit, I would do it. What's the point of cerifications without the practice experience or a setting to use it. I guess if you work retail and you get the CGP, big whoop, you just paid $ to take the test and then $ every year for the CEs and annual fee. CGP has to make their qualifications easy or nobody would bother, there's a reason why it's not part of the Apha sanctioned certifications.

It's kinda known as the step - child of the specialty cerifications, definitely not as well respected compared to bcps. But if you work in a practice setting that would benefit, I would do it. What's the point of cerifications without the practice experience or a setting to use it. I guess if you work retail and you get the CGP, big whoop, you just paid $ to take the test and then $ every year for the CEs and annual fee. CGP has to make their qualifications easy or nobody would bother, there's a reason why it's not part of the Apha sanctioned certifications.

The summary statements for major Board of Pharmacy specialties like oncology or nutrition appear to push the pharmacist into some increased patient care aspect that you would expect to be filled by an oncologist/nutritionist respectively. Most of the evolved responsibilities that pharmacists are 'expecting' seem to suggest an expanded role into what is currently occupied by other health care specialties.

I took the test 10/12/13. I found it challenging. Got my "Congrats You Passed" email on 11/11/13 and received my score report in the mail yesterday. Despite feeling apprehensive, I scored very well. I work in the corporate office for a long term care company and this seemed like the best fit for my current position. Board certification has always been a personal goal of mine.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats, yes, this exam is exactly for you, people in LTC, it even says it on the cgp website. Another good setting to get this is if you work in the Medicare field, your population is what the cgp targets. I plan on taking the test next year but it's a revamped test.

Hello, I just registered for the CGP exam. Im certified in MTM (through APHA) and planning to do MTM part time to gain clinical experience after I pass the CGP exam. Im currently working in retail pharmacy 4 days a week so I have 2 days a week to study plus every other weekend off from work to study. I'm thinking of taking my exam this coming Feb. Will i have enough time to study based on my current schedule to pass the CGP? Please advise. thanks

I took the test 10/12/13. I found it challenging. Got my "Congrats You Passed" email on 11/11/13 and received my score report in the mail yesterday. Despite feeling apprehensive, I scored very well. I work in the corporate office for a long term care company and this seemed like the best fit for my current position. Board certification has always been a personal goal of mine.
Hi , so how many u should score in order to pass the exam is it 75out of 150?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just registered for the upcoming 2 test periods. I work in geriatrics so hopefully it'll be appropriate and not too challenging. but who knows.

It sounds like you have a very interesting job. If you don't mind to say, what LTC company do you work for, and what do you do in the corporate office? It sounds like something I would like to do, and I am considering taking the exam later this year. Thanks

Good luck! Just curious, why register for 2 exam periods? Is the second one for "just in case"?
Hi! I registered for April/ May session and with this registration this also included another block which is July and August. But then the next time to register is by Sept 15,2017. To be able to take the exam in Oct and Nov 2017 and then the exam will be given in Spring and Fall only since this exam is now under the BCP.

Did anybody take the exam recently? How was the test? ASCP materials are way too comprehensive and overwhelming.... Not sure what is a good study material.

Did anybody take the exam recently? How was the test? ASCP materials are way too comprehensive and overwhelming.... Not sure what is a good study material.
The examination was absolutely horrible! A lot of stats questions. I purchased the ASCP modules and yes this is too comprehensive and overwhelming-- I agree! Really I do not know how or what to study for this examination anymore. If you hear from others I surely would like read how others studied for this examination.

Now you can only register for the examination through the bps website only. Beginning in 2018, the new items are that to even qualify to sit for BCGP examination you have to work at least 50% of your time in geriatrics for the past 2 years and the number of questions go from 150 to 175

Now you can only register for the examination through the bps website only. Beginning in 2018, the new items are that to even qualify to sit for BCGP examination you have to work at least 50% of your time in geriatrics for the past 2 years and the number of questions go from 150 to 175

Lame... if you know the material, what difference does it make where the heck you work... also what qualifies as "geriatric" work... I have some old ass pts in my hospital, does this make my setting geriatric?

I just registered for the upcoming 2 test periods. I work in geriatrics so hopefully it'll be appropriate and not too challenging. but who knows.
Hi I am also taking exam in Oct/Nov. window. While you mentioned you work in geriatric set up which kind of set up is this? can you help with soem questions? I took one in May and failed by 5 points. I guess for me regulatory questions were difficult and hence looking for a candidate on forum who is working in the field. I have hospital experience.

Hi I am also taking exam in Oct/Nov. window. While you mentioned you work in geriatric set up which kind of set up is this? can you help with soem questions? I took one in May and failed by 5 points. I guess for me regulatory questions were difficult and hence looking for a candidate on forum who is working in the field. I have hospital experience.
I am a LTC pharmacist who will take the exam in NOV 2017 and open to studying with other people.

i'm taking it november 10th and am terrified. i just had a baby and finding it impossible to study as i planned.
were there many stats questions? is knowing the appropriate test the best thing to focus on right now?
also, what type of regulatory questions should i prepare for? unfortunately i don't have much experience with that bc i work in a federal facility so we don't really get exposed to that as much. thanks in advance!.

The examination was absolutely horrible! A lot of stats questions. I purchased the ASCP modules and yes this is too comprehensive and overwhelming-- I agree! Really I do not know how or what to study for this examination anymore. If you hear from others I surely would like read how others studied for this examination.

are you taking it again in November?

i'd love to try to help. just let me know.

also, i just found this website and it has some practice questions : pharmacy question bank (it won't let me post website)

I purchased 2016 modules and attended 2017 fallBoot Camp and purchased the AGS syllables book and 350 Q&ha, and I got my score with 74 ! I don't know what should I study more, anyways if u have any other resources please update me as I will retake coming spring

also, i just found this website and it has some practice questions : pharmacy question bank (it won't let me post website)
Can I search the website under pharmacy question bank?? Thanks

I am a LTC pharmacist who will take the exam in NOV 2017 and open to studying with other people.
May I ask if you passed or not , if yes congrats. If no can we prepare for the next attempt, I would appreciate your response and good luck