cGPA 3.1 / sGPA 3.7 What schools do I have a shot at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremedGirlCO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just finished calculating my current GPA (I am currently doing post-bacc work, so my GPA is still changing a bit).

cGPA 3.1
sGPA 3.7
"non-science" GPA 2.9 --> I have seen people referring to their "non-science" GPAs, and this confuses me. Will I report a total of three averaged GPAs? Obviously I would prefer to only report my cumulative and my science, since my science is higher!

I am planning on taking an MCAT prep course this summer, and then the MCAT in August. (Not applying until 2013). I do not yet have a projected score, so I know this "what are my chances" post is a little lacking, but do you have any recommendations for MD schools that I might have a chance at?

Other semi-relavent info:
-I have solid ECs.
-I am a caucasian female, Colorado resident.
-I have a previous liberal arts degree (with the not-so-good GPA), and my recent coursework is around 4.0gpa.
-I am a registered EMT.

Thanks for any advice/info, it is much appreciated! I hope everyone is getting what they want this cycle:)

Members don't see this ad.

3.1 is really, really hard to get into MD if you're white. If you were an URM, I would say go for it. But is your gpa still 3.1 even with the post bacc you did? how much is it going to change? I would look into the DO option and get a good good mcat score. More than possible. The MD route is getting really rough most matriculants have both solid mcats and solid gpas, with DO you can usually have one factor that compensates for the other.

3.1 is really, really hard to get into MD if you're white. If you were an URM, I would say go for it. But is your gpa still 3.1 even with the post bacc you did? how much is it going to change? I would look into the DO option and get a good good mcat score. More than possible. The MD route is getting really rough most matriculants have both solid mcats and solid gpas, with DO you can usually have one factor that compensates for the other.

What stupidness are you talking about URM? You do realise that only 30% of URM with those numbers get into allopathic schools, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
What stupidness are you talking about URM? You do realise that only 30% of URM with those numbers get into allopathic schools, right?

Not to take this too far off topic, but where are you getting 30% from? She doesn't even have an MCAT score yet.

OP, the two scores reported are cGPA and sGPA. I'm not really sure how schools look at such a big difference between sGPA and cGPA, but I would guess MD might be difficult without some past-bacc work and a strong MCAT. The DO route might be a bit more forgiving of the low cGPA, if you are open to that idea. As far as potential schools to apply to, I'll let more knowledeable people field that one.

Sorry, but no chance at any MD school. BUT, pretty decent for some, but not all DO schools.

Hi everyone! I just finished calculating my current GPA (I am currently doing post-bacc work, so my GPA is still changing a bit).

cGPA 3.1
sGPA 3.7
"non-science" GPA 2.9 --> I have seen people referring to their "non-science" GPAs, and this confuses me. Will I report a total of three averaged GPAs? Obviously I would prefer to only report my cumulative and my science, since my science is higher!

I am planning on taking an MCAT prep course this summer, and then the MCAT in August. (Not applying until 2013). I do not yet have a projected score, so I know this "what are my chances" post is a little lacking, but do you have any recommendations for MD schools that I might have a chance at?

Other semi-relavent info:
-I have solid ECs.
-I am a caucasian female, Colorado resident.
-I have a previous liberal arts degree (with the not-so-good GPA), and my recent coursework is around 4.0gpa.
-I am a registered EMT.

Thanks for any advice/info, it is much appreciated! I hope everyone is getting what they want this cycle:)

30%? What are you even talking about? Lol. I think you just saw "urm" and immediately took it as a personal stab or something. So "what stupidness are you talking about" because I have no idea what you are talking about. If you look at the stickied thread youll see that a ton of applicants with a gpa of around 3.1 and URM status get into an allopathic school as long as the mcat is decent. Does this insult you? lol. Anyways...back to the op..

as I said before, with a solid mcat you should def look into applying broadly in the DO route and youll prob end up somewhere.

Guys no more URM bull seriously stop this repetitive madness. With a 3.1 cGPA you're not going to get into MD unless you score ridiculously well on the MCAT > 36/ You need to raise your GPA to at least a 3.3 if you want to actually have a decent shot. Right now you're looking at DO with a 3.1 cGPA and a MCAT around 30.

Last edited:
Sorry, but no chance at any MD school. BUT, pretty decent for some, but not all DO schools.
I would have to disagree here. The 3.7 in the sciences and the obvious redemption from previous academic work makes it so that, within those with a 3.1 that do get accepted, she's within the range. I would think she'll definitely need a 34+ for MD. As for D.O., she's fine at any campus she applied if her MCAT is at the average or above that of the school. Her sGPA is already above the average of every Osteopathic school in the country.

Thanks for all feedback, I really appreciate it!

By the time I apply, my cGPA will be 3.26 and my sGPA will be 3.8.

What do you think of MD chances now? (If you're hinging on an MCAT score, then what do you think my minimum score needs to be)?

Do you have any school suggestions that are more likely to accept with a low cGPA?

Thanks for all the info everyone!

(Just to reiterate from my first post, I'm a caucasian female, Colorado resident).

I would have to disagree here. The 3.7 in the sciences and the obvious redemption from previous academic work makes it so that, within those with a 3.1 that do get accepted, she's within the range. I would think she'll definitely need a 34+ for MD. As for D.O., she's fine at any campus she applied if her MCAT is at the average or above that of the school. Her sGPA is already above the average of every Osteopathic school in the country.

Goro is right she will get screened out at many schools unless she does a SMP program. I have a friend who has a 3.2 cGPA but a 3.8 sGPA scored exactly a 34 on the MCAT but didn't make it. He's been applying for 3 cycles and still no luck.

Goro is right she will get screened out at many schools unless she does a SMP program. I have a friend who has a 3.2 cGPA but a 3.8 sGPA scored exactly a 34 on the MCAT but didn't make it. He's been applying for 3 cycles and still no luck.

Dang, that is very similar to my stats. Do you think it would make a difference if my cGPA were exactly a 3.3? (And sGPA still a 3.8).

Maybe the issue is your friend. Just a couple of threads ago you were extremely supportive of flohdi1, who was the guy who apparently "proved me wrong on any opinion I ever have then and in the future," who got into 4 MD schools with a c3.19/s3.09 and no SMP. So which one is it? I'm thinking your desire to go against what I say is getting in the way of being objective.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just recalculated my GPA for what it will be when I actually apply in 2013. I hope it's ok that I'm sort of re-posting my info! (I don't have a lot of experience with message boards, so if I'm out of line, please excuse me).

cGPA 3.3

sGPA 3.8

Have not taken the MCAT yet.

1. How do you think MD schools will view the disparity between my overall GPA and my science GPA? Will I automatically be discarded because of the low cGPA?

2. Is there a 'minimum' MCAT score that you recommend I shoot for?

3. What schools do you recommend that I research that might be willing to overlook a low cGPA?

4. Do you have a recommendation for a goal of ECs for someone in my situation? I would love to hear a suggested goal list of what you think would improve my application. (ie, someone with a 4.0 and 39 probably doesn't have to do as much 'extra' stuff as I should be doing--would love to hear how much 'extra' stuff you think would benefit my application).

My low overall GPA is due to a previous degree with not-so-good grades. By the time I (hopefully) enter medical school I will have a second bachelor's in biology, with a GPA of about 3.9 (so strong upward trend).

My demographic: white female Colorado resident.

I really appreciate all of the advice and info, thank you so much for all of the help!!

What are your ECs? you're probably looking at a MCAT score > 32 right now.

Like I said, you'll be fine with a good MCAT >31, but some people here jump on the bandwagon that you can't get into MD school with a low cGPA unless you do an SMP. If getting an entirely new degree with a 3.9 won't do the trick, nothing will. A guy here got into an MD school with early decision and under a 3.0 because he did an entirely new bachelors with a 4.0. Trust me, you'll be fine.

My ECs right now are kind of just getting going.

1. 186 hours clinical volunteering (by the time of application 2013)

2. Registered EMT (clinical experience during training)
-I will hopefully have an EMT job during the time between now and application time)

3. 100 hours research at University of Colorado Hospital (by the time of application)

4. Participation in on-campus pre-health clubs
-Served as secretary for one semester
-Organized health-related events

5. Other school clubs: chemistry clubs, biology club, sorority
-Various philanthropic/mentoring activities from these clubs

6. I am currently choosing between volunteering with the Red Cross or a local homeless shelter

7. I have done informal tutoring throughout undergrad, but have no feasible way of tracking that..

8. I have not done any shadowing, how do people have hundreds of hours of this?!

I would love to hear what you all think I should have for my ECs! Thanks again for all the help!

Unless you can show leadership, these are basically worthless. Anyone can claim to be in a club and "participate" in it. The club I was president in had 1/3 of its members never return after signing up. Sure, we dropped them from the roster, but they can claim they were members that semester.

7. I have done informal tutoring throughout undergrad, but have no feasible way of tracking that..
What I did was volunteer as a tutor in my school's tutoring center. Just keep track of the hours yourself or through their sign in/sign out sheet.

Im sure a lot of pre meds inflate their hours anyways, Just do your best to keep track.. I admire your honesty though, 186 hours of volunteer work. Not 185, exactly 186, lol nice.

Like I said, you'll be fine with a good MCAT >31, but some people here jump on the bandwagon that you can't get into MD school with a low cGPA unless you do an SMP. If getting an entirely new degree with a 3.9 won't do the trick, nothing will. A guy here got into an MD school with early decision and under a 3.0 because he did an entirely new bachelors with a 4.0. Trust me, you'll be fine.

Is doing early decision a good idea for someone with below-average stats? What school did that person get into?

In your opinion, which schools would be most likely to forgive my low cGPA? I get the impression from this board that I will 'automatically' be discarded from all MD schools with such a low cGPA. What do you recommend for ECs as an offset?

Thank you for your help!!

-I will hopefully have an EMT job during the time between now and application time)
Unfortunately, worthless unless you put it to use.

Is doing early decision a good idea for someone with below-average stats? What school did that person get into?

In your opinion, which schools would be most likely to forgive my low cGPA? I get the impression from this board that I will 'automatically' be discarded from all MD schools with such a low cGPA. What do you recommend for ECs as an offset?

I don't know much about Early Decision, so I hope someone else helps you. I also don't know where he got in. It skips my mind right now.

I would recommend applying to your state school (unless it's California), and schools that the MSAR say your cGPA is above their 10th percentile AND has at least a 20% OOS admissions rate.

Do EC that you enjoy and think you'll be good in. There's no magical formula, but things like leadership and non-medical community service are always good to have.

A letter from a Physician after shadowing will boost your application. Go to walk in clinics and drop off your resume and you should definitely get an opportunity to shadow a primary care physician. I think with a MCAT score > 32 and with some more focus on leadership, shadowing and community service (working at rehab facilities, homeless shelters etc..) you should be fine. Make sure to apply early (transcripts sent in April, MCAT before May, Primary application in June and secondaries sent before the first 2 weeks of July).

A letter from a Physician after shadowing will boost your application. Go to walk in clinics and drop off your resume and you should definitely get an opportunity to shadow a primary care physician. I think with a MCAT score > 32 and with some more focus on leadership, shadowing and community service (working at rehab facilities, homeless shelters etc..) you should be fine. Make sure to apply early (transcripts sent in April, MCAT before May, Primary application in June and secondaries sent before the first 2 weeks of July).

Applying early is very helpful...from my point of view, you should be able to fill all 15 activites will meaningful and significant points, that are diverse and cover almost all the EC categories.
You are in a great position with numbers, score high on MCAT and do not quit...even if you have to re-apply

Merging related threads.

So I just recalculated my GPA for what it will be when I actually apply in 2013. I hope it's ok that I'm sort of re-posting my info! (I don't have a lot of experience with message boards, so if I'm out of line, please excuse me).

cGPA 3.3

sGPA 3.8

Have not taken the MCAT yet.

1. How do you think MD schools will view the disparity between my overall GPA and my science GPA? Will I automatically be discarded because of the low cGPA?

2. Is there a 'minimum' MCAT score that you recommend I shoot for?

3. What schools do you recommend that I research that might be willing to overlook a low cGPA?

4. Do you have a recommendation for a goal of ECs for someone in my situation? I would love to hear a suggested goal list of what you think would improve my application. (ie, someone with a 4.0 and 39 probably doesn't have to do as much 'extra' stuff as I should be doing--would love to hear how much 'extra' stuff you think would benefit my application).

My low overall GPA is due to a previous degree with not-so-good grades. By the time I (hopefully) enter medical school I will have a second bachelor's in biology, with a GPA of about 3.9 (so strong upward trend).

My demographic: white female Colorado resident.

I really appreciate all of the advice and info, thank you so much for all of the help!!

What are your ECs? you're probably looking at a MCAT score > 32 right now.

My ECs right now are kind of just getting going.

1. 186 hours clinical volunteering (by the time of application 2013)

3. 100 hours research at University of Colorado Hospital (by the time of application)

4. Participation in on-campus pre-health clubs
-Served as secretary for one semester
-Organized health-related events

6. I am currently choosing between volunteering with the Red Cross or a local homeless shelter

8. I have not done any shadowing, how do people have hundreds of hours of this?!

I would love to hear what you all think I should have for my ECs! Thanks again for all the help!

Unless you can show leadership, these are basically worthless. Anyone can claim to be in a club and "participate" in it. The club I was president in had 1/3 of its members never return after signing up. Sure, we dropped them from the roster, but they can claim they were members that semester.

What I did was volunteer as a tutor in my school's tutoring center. Just keep track of the hours yourself or through their sign in/sign out sheet.

Im sure a lot of pre meds inflate their hours anyways, Just do your best to keep track.. I admire your honesty though, 186 hours of volunteer work. Not 185, exactly 186, lol nice.

Unfortunately, worthless unless you put it to use.

I don't know much about Early Decision, so I hope someone else helps you. I also don't know where he got in. It skips my mind right now.

I would recommend applying to your state school (unless it's California), and schools that the MSAR say your cGPA is above their 10th percentile AND has at least a 20% OOS admissions rate.

Do EC that you enjoy and think you'll be good in. There's no magical formula, but things like leadership and non-medical community service are always good to have.

Applying early is very helpful...from my point of view, you should be able to fill all 15 activites will meaningful and significant points, that are diverse and cover almost all the EC categories.
You are in a great position with numbers, score high on MCAT and do not quit...even if you have to re-apply