cGPA 3.23 MCAT 39

Started by 058864570
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

058864570

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys i just want to thank who ever helps me in advance, i appreciate it, so here is my situation.

I got to the university of Toronto, doing a specialist in biology, here is my gpa breakdown

1st ( credits 4.0 gpa 1.53)
2nd (credits 4.0 gpa 1.88)
this is because my family had financial problems and i worked full time, and was stupid enough to take a full time course load.
3rd (credits 3.5 gpa 3.9)
4th (credits 6.0 gpa 4.0)
5th (credits 6.0 gpa 4.0) my last 2 years i took very challenging courses such as biochemistry, microbiology, laboratory in physiology etc... I have 1 peer reviewed research paper from my 5th year with working with a professor, i have 4 letters of recommendation from my profs, i shadowed under 2 doctors and 1 recommendation letter from 1 of them, I have alot of volunteer hour in diff hospitals, have a lot of EC's like community involvement and sports like hockey, and old folks home etc.. I took the organic chemistry and English pre reqs in my 3rd year and did well in them, but for gen chem, gen bio and physics i took them in my first year so the marks for those 3 pre reqs are horrible

I ended up with a cgpa of 3.23 i am graduating this year i have already wrote the MCAT and got a 39. SO what are my chances at schools like western, queens and dalhousie who look at your last 2 years. and what are my chances at all? should i do an smp in the U.S? or should i do the Caribbean? THANK YOU EVERYONE for taking time to read this. I will be applying for medical schools soon. THANK YOU A LOT
 
Well, first congrats on turning things around so dramatically. I think there may be some issues with not having a full course load in third year, but otherwise you should apply to any school that applies a weighting formula and/or accepts your best or most recent years. Ottawa, Western, Queen's, Dal, and any others with those policies are worthwhile and it's probably best to apply even more broadly.
 
I always thought Ontario medical schools look at your best 2 years? This would raise your GPA up by a lot? That would make you a near guarantee interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's been a long time since I applied, but as I recall Mac and UofT look at everything, Ottawa weights up to 3 most recent years, Queen's and Western accept best two or most recent two (not sure). No idea about NOSM.
 
hey guys i just want to thank who ever helps me in advance, i appreciate it, so here is my situation.

I got to the university of Toronto, doing a specialist in biology, here is my gpa breakdown

1st ( credits 4.0 gpa 1.53)
2nd (credits 4.0 gpa 1.88)
this is because my family had financial problems and i worked full time, and was stupid enough to take a full time course load.
3rd (credits 3.5 gpa 3.9)
4th (credits 6.0 gpa 4.0)
5th (credits 6.0 gpa 4.0) my last 2 years i took very challenging courses such as biochemistry, microbiology, laboratory in physiology etc... I have 1 peer reviewed research paper from my 5th year with working with a professor, i have 4 letters of recommendation from my profs, i shadowed under 2 doctors and 1 recommendation letter from 1 of them, I have alot of volunteer hour in diff hospitals, have a lot of EC's like community involvement and sports like hockey, and old folks home etc.. I took the organic chemistry and English pre reqs in my 3rd year and did well in them, but for gen chem, gen bio and physics i took them in my first year so the marks for those 3 pre reqs are horrible

I ended up with a cgpa of 3.23 i am graduating this year i have already wrote the MCAT and got a 39. SO what are my chances at schools like western, queens and dalhousie who look at your last 2 years. and what are my chances at all? should i do an smp in the U.S? or should i do the Caribbean? THANK YOU EVERYONE for taking time to read this. I will be applying for medical schools soon. THANK YOU A LOT

Avoid at all costs.