cGPA 3.47, sGPA 3.32, MCAT 25O

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Honze55

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad: UCSD
Major: Physiology & Neuroscience

Good LORs, and EC (EMT, volunteering, etc.)

Applied to 18 D.O. schools. CA resident. Files complete at all schools mid-October.

Thanks in advance for you advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your scores are balanced, which is good for a bad situation. Being mid-October is tough, the fact that you applied to 18 schools really gives it a shot to get into "somewhere." All we can do at this point is wish you good luck, and if you don't get admitted, re-take that MCAT and make the application stronger.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a great chance at DO schools.

Last edited:
If you care to list your ECs in more detail, we can comment on them. Regardless, keep involved in some of them for the sake of update letters through the season, as well as interview conversations. You do have a DO LOR, right?

Sure!

Work:

EMT
Teacher's Assistant-Upper Division Physiology
Worked throughout College

EC:
Shadowing (>200 hrs)
Mentor Program (I was a mentor)
Transfer Club at University (multiple volunteer activities)
Baseball Team (first year of college)

LOR: (4)
Physician: (DO)
2 Science Professors
Assistant Dean

The shadowing looks terrific. How many months or years of EMT? Job or volunteer? How many hours of nonmedical community service did you list?

I worked as an EMT for over 2 years, part time.

Hours of non-medical services was difficult to quantify, because it was one day here and there (maybe twice a month) for 2 years, but it all added up to a good amount. On my ACCOMAS application I didn't feel it was appropriate to put 50 different events with only 6-8 hours each, so I only put the club which facilitated the volunteer opportunities. Hopefully I can talk about the details more in an interview, (crossing fingers) if I get one.

What do you think my chances are?

Despite the lateness of the cycle and the Canadian residency, I think your chances are good.

As I always say, continue with some of your pertinent ECs throgh this cycle for the sake of update letters, interview conversations, and if worse comes to worst, a stronger and earlier reapplication for next season.

Despite the lateness of the cycle and the Canadian residency, I think your chances are good.

As I always say, continue with some of your pertinent ECs throgh this cycle for the sake of update letters, interview conversations, and if worse comes to worst, a stronger and earlier reapplication for next season.

I'm actually a California resident, born and raised

Thanks for the advice. When should I begin to send my first letters of interest/update letters?

your stats and ec's look good. the biggest knock, like others have said, is that you werent complete until october.

my stats are almost identical to yours, but i was complete in july at most places. i have a couple acceptances, a handful (+1) of interviews, so that should give you some comfort in your stats! be patient, and if this cycle fills up you'll be ready to rock next cycle.