cGPA 3.76, sGPA 3.8, MCAT 38R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onecountry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Appreciate if you can comment on my chances

MCAT: BS 13 / VR 11 / PS 14 : 38R
sGPA: 3.8 / cGPA 3.75
Attending a top State School and planning to graduate in 3.5 yrs and perhaps volunteer / travel abroad during the 2nd half of the senior year.

Volunteer medical/clinical : 75 hrs
Research: 100+ hrs working at Bio-Psych lab.
Shadowing: 25 hrs done and 40 hrs (abroad) in the next month.

One year competitive ballroom.
University honors award 3 yrs.

Applying to following schools.

In state:
Univ of Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Oakland Univ

Out of state:
Univ of Chicago
Northwestern
Case Western
Vanderbilt
Ohio State
Rush
Loyola
Cincinnati
Georgetown
Emory

Appreciate your comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Admittedly I'm not an expert, but you don't have much clinical experience. Also, nobody measures research in hours. 100 hours sounds like very little (less than a semester?) which is not enough for some top schools. You also don't have any leadership, teaching, or any of the other things on the "checklist" we all have to go through.

tl;dr: You need way more Ecs

Hi,

You stats are obv fine. But the big problem is the ECs. Your clinical volunteering is very low. Do you also have any other EC activities. You will need to work on those if you want to get accepted at some of those schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. I guess my 100+ hours at the lab can be counted as non-medical volunteer hours. Thanks for the responses anyways.

Thanks for the responses. I guess my 100+ hours at the lab can be counted as non-medical volunteer hours. Thanks for the responses anyways.

I don't think so. I would think you would list them as research.

Attending a top State School and planning to graduate in 3.5 yrs and perhaps volunteer / travel abroad during the 2nd half of the senior year.

In state:
Univ of Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Oakland Univ

Out of state:
Univ of Chicago
Northwestern
Case Western
Vanderbilt
Ohio State
Rush
Loyola
Cincinnati
Georgetown
Emory

Explain this and the fact that you already have an MCAT score. :confused:

In state:
Univ of Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Oakland Univ

Out of state:
Univ of Chicago
Northwestern
Case Western
Vanderbilt
Ohio State
Rush
Loyola
Cincinnati
Georgetown
Emory

herp derp

not entirely impossible, OP is probably in the summer before sr year so it's not completely unreasonable to have an mcat score.

but i second your herp derp anyway.

Ursa:

Dang.... dont know what to say.

I am done with my junior year and need only one more semester to complete my graduation requirements. No I will not attend commencement in December, but I will complete my degree requirements in this December. Yes I did MCAT on 4/16 and got score a couple of weeks back. What is herp derp in that?

you don't have much clinical experience. Also, nobody measures research in hours. 100 hours sounds like very little (less than a semester?) which is not enough for some top schools. You also don't have any leadership, teaching, or any of the other things on the "checklist" we all have to go through.

tl;dr: You need way more Ecs
. . . ideally, also including some nonmedical community service.

I think the OP means graduate in a total of 3.5 years from start to finish (and is close to being done). Not 3.5 years from now.

But yeah, I thought the same thing.

EC are on the low side indeed, but your numbers are so high that mid-tier or below is entirely possible. If I were you, I'd robust my EC with more clinical volunteering, non-medical volunteering, tutoring, and leadership to have more possibilities.