Quantcast

DO cGPA 3.8, sGPA 3.84, MCAT 500

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asian-nerd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello all,
I only aim for DO schools. Do I have any chance for DO programs if I apply early for 2017 cycle ? I'm a resident of Texas and majored in Genetics. Here are my stats:
- cGPA: 3.8; sGPA: 3.84
- MCAT: 500
- a lot of research
- honor/awards
- work experience: lab assistant and pharm tech
- clinical volunteer: >500 hours
- MD shadow (>100 hours)
- non clinical volunteer: ~ 100 hours
- I'm going to shadow a DO soon
Should I retake the MCAT? I studied a lot for the past months. If I retake in January, which is less then 2 months from now, I don't know if I can improve my scores or It'd be bad if somehow it's lower than this one :/

Last edited:

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I only aim for DO schools. Do I have any chance for DO programs if I apply early for 2017 cycle ? I'm a resident of Texas and majored in Genetics. Here are my stats:
- a lot of research
- honor/awards
- MD shadow (>100 hours)
Should I retake the MCAT? I studied a lot for the past months. If I retake on January, which is less then 2 months from now, I don't know if I can improve my scores or I'd be bad if somehow it's lower than this one :/

1) Yes
2) Only if you have a good reason to believe you can do significantly better on a re-take.

The 500 might restrict you from some DO programs(think CCOM, AZCOM, Touros) but by and large apply broadly with a 3.8/500 and I think you'll get II's.

Reactions: 1 user

Asian-nerd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Yes
2) Only if you have a good reason to believe you can do significantly better on a re-take.

The 500 might restrict you from some DO programs(think CCOM, AZCOM, Touros) but by and large apply broadly with a 3.8/500 and I think you'll get II's.
Are my stats competitive for TCOM? My adviser also told me that they're going to open a new DO school in San Antonio next cycle. I'll definitely apply for that!

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are my stats competitive for TCOM? My adviser also told me that they're going to open a new DO school in San Antonio next cycle. I'll definitely apply for that!

I honestly don't have the slightest clue. Sorry. Search the DO forum and ask Goro if you would like.

DoctorSynthesis

Friendly osteopath
Reaction score
Hello all,
- a lot of research
- honor/awards
- MD shadow (>100 hours)
Should I retake the MCAT? I studied a lot for the past months. If I retake in January, which is less then 2 months from now, I don't know if I can improve my scores or It'd be bad if somehow it's lower than this one :/

Apply to TCOM but its gonna be a reach. I don't know the status of the branch campus so I won't comment on that.

You must apply early/broadly with a 500. If you believe you can improve your score by 5 points you would have a much better shot a Tcom. If your score goes down you may not get in anywhere. So retake really depends on how confident are you that you can significantly improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

djp2266

Reaction score
I am reapplying for the 2018 cycle. Also Have a 500 MCAT and 3.8 gpa. I applied super late last cycle and got wait listed at UNECOM and NYITCOM. I have a lot of clinical experience. I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for schools.