WAMC: 3.73 cGPA, 3.53 sGPA, 500 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C0da

Reaction score
State of Residence: Virginia
cGPA: 3.72
sGPA: 3.53 (Might have done this wrong)
MCAT: 500 (124 C/P; 126 CARS; 123 B/B; 127 P/S) in 2022
Retook the MCAT on 7/15/2023 and I am waiting for my results

Major: Biology
Minors: Honors Transdisciplinary Study, Human Nutrition, Psychology for Health Sciences, Pre-Health
School: Nova Southeastern University (NSU) and I graduated with a B.S. in Biology (Cum Laude)
Ethnicity: Asian Male

Clinical Volunteering: 400 hours as an EMT (High school – College), 250 hours as a Crisis Text Line Counselor
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 30 hours for the NSU Community Garden
Research: 1000+ hours for my two-year Honors Thesis, Philosophy Independent research. Both were published and I was the primary author on each. Furthermore, I’ve attended various research conferences to present posters for both research topics
Shadowing: 30 hours for Occupational Therapy, 30 hours for Speech-Language Pathology
Employment: 1000+ CTO for a medical-based startup focusing on physical therapy
Extracurricular Activities: President of undergraduate organization for a year, Leader of a transformational leadership and campus impact committee (kickstarted and created the community garden), Eagle Scout of BSA
Awards: Dean’s List various semesters and student speaker positions
Other info: Currently in a Gap Year

School List (MD)
Eastern Virginia Med School/EVMS
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
George Washington

School List (DO)
VCOM
LMU-DCOM; Lincoln Memorial University
PCOM
Michigan State University/MSU
New York Institute of Technology
DMU/Des Moines University
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM)
Nova Southeastern University
Rowan Virtua
Marian University
Alabama COM/ACOM
Rocky Vista COM

I need help in identifying which schools I should keep or remove as well as which schools I should aim to apply first. I am happy with either MD or DO and don’t mind traveling anywhere within the country.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Post your new MCAT score here when available as that score will determine if your list of schools is appropriate.

Reactions: 1 user
You should have received your new MCAT score if you retook it on 06/15? I thought those test-takers got their scores back last week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Post your new MCAT score here when available as that score will determine if your list of schools is appropriate.
Will do, since I'm slated to get the MCAT score back in August would take make me still competitive enough for this admission cycle? I am a bit new to this entire process.

You should have received your new MCAT score if you retook it on 06/15? I thought those test-takers got their scores back last week.
Apologies, I got the month wrong. I took it on 7/15, I have edited the post to properly reflect that.

Will do, since I'm slated to get the MCAT score back in August would take make me still competitive enough for this admission cycle? I am a bit new to this entire process.
August is fine for DO schools. Have you already submitted your AMCAS application ?

Why no physician shadowing? You really need 50 hours of physician shadowing with some being with a PCP. You also need way more than 30 hours in a community garden for nonclinical volunteering.
It sounds like you are really interested in physical therapy. Have you considered a DPT?

Reactions: 1 users
August is fine for DO schools. Have you already submitted your AMCAS application ?
I have not yet since I was studying for the MCAT as well as waiting for the new score to properly apply to a set of schools. I am worried that since I am applying later in the admission cycle I would have a harder time getting noticed/an opportunity for an interview.

Why no physician shadowing? You really need 50 hours of physician shadowing with some being with a PCP. You also need way more than 30 hours in a community garden for nonclinical volunteering.
It sounds like you are really interested in physical therapy. Have you considered a DPT?
I don't have a set amount of physician shadowing since I was rather busy managing both education and work at the same time. Furthermore, while I do respect and enjoy physical therapy; my own interests lie in mental health more so in psychiatry. As I found this passion rewarding while being a crisis text line counselor. I do understand that being a psychiatrist is far different than being a counselor, despite this I am heavily invested and interested in being apart of the mental health space.

I have not yet since I was studying for the MCAT as well as waiting for the new score to properly apply to a set of schools. I am worried that since I am applying later in the admission cycle I would have a harder time getting noticed/an opportunity for an interview.
You should submit your AMCAS application in the next week so you will be verified by the time your new MCAT score is available. Include only Eastern Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth in your application. You may be able to add more schools if your new score is much higher.

I agree... why not PT or OT?
my own interests lie in mental health more so in psychiatry. As I found this passion rewarding while being a crisis text line counselor.
But your actions and activities don't suggest this. Why not a PsyD?

So I could grant you the Eagle Scout project as community service, but the unclear message on your career direction is a challenge for reviewers like us.

You should submit your AMCAS application in the next week so you will be verified by the time your new MCAT score is available. Include only Eastern Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth in your application. You may be able to add more schools if your new score is much higher.
I understand and I shall do that, thank you for your guidance.

I agree... why not PT or OT?

But your actions and activities don't suggest this. Why not a PsyD?

So I could grant you the Eagle Scout project as community service, but the unclear message on your career direction is a challenge for reviewers like us.
I understand that my application can seem rather lopsided given my past experiences though I am working to rectify this perspective through a shadowing observership under a psychiatrist. I have been delayed in getting that crucial perspective due to the paperwork and applications required for said approval and clearance. I hope this clarifies things.