cGPA: 3.84, BCPM: 3.79, 504 MCAT - WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoubleTrouble3428

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Demographics: 22, M, NC resident

GPAs: sGPA 3.789, cGPA 3.839

MCAT (2 attempts, same exact score): 124/127/125/128

Non-Clinical Volunteering
~1500 hours as a Young Life leader
~30 hours teaching kids on science field trips
~200 hours as an Organic Chem TA

Clinical Experience
~120 hours direct patient contact as volunteer at clinics (screening)

Shadowing
~80 hours shadowing

Work Experience:
~400 hours at CFA over college

Research
~500 hours of research. Poster presentation, 1.5 years experience. No publications

Leadership:
-Leader of a group at church
-Young Life leader

Special Considerations: Sincere, and solid (IMO) personal statement explaining my desire to practice holistic medicine, intent to practice primary care.

Schools:
-Brody SoM
-UNC
-USC-Columbia
-USC-Greenville
-Wright State
-Louisville
-VCU (unsure)

Will submit application very early (either today or tomorrow) and very interested in primary care.

Thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Clinical Experience

Shadowing
~80 hours shadowing

Work Experience:

Research
~500 hours of research. Poster presentation, 1.5 years experience. No publications

Leadership:
-Young Life leader

Special Considerations: Sincere, and solid (IMO) personal statement explaining my desire to practice holistic medicine, intent to practice primary care.

Schools:
-Brody SoM
-UNC
-USC-Columbia
-USC-Greenville
-Wright State
-Louisville
-VCU (unsure)

Will submit application very early (either today or tomorrow) and very interested in primary care.

Thoughts??

Your GPAs are phenomenal but your MCAT is on the lower end of the MD spectrum. I would check the sites of the schools you listed to better gauge their admissions statistics.

Being that you're interested in primary care, have you ever considered DO? Most DO schools exist with the mission of generating more primary care physicians and with your stats, I foresee you standing an excellent chance of admittance into multiple schools.

Just my .02!

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest the following:
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland U Beaumont
Loyola
WVU
MCW
Creighton
VCU
Albany
Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with CUSOM, all three VCOMs, ACOM, LMU, Wm Carey, both LECOMs, and KYCOM

Clinical Experience

Shadowing
~80 hours shadowing

Work Experience:

Research

Leadership:
-Young Life leader

Schools:
-Brody SoM
-UNC
-USC-Columbia
-USC-Greenville
-Wright State
-Louisville
-VCU (unsure)

Thoughts??

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPAs are phenomenal but your MCAT is on the lower end of the MD spectrum. I would check the sites of the schools you listed to better gauge their admissions statistics.

Being that you're interested in primary care, have you ever considered DO? Most DO schools exist with the mission of generating more primary care physicians and with your stats, I foresee you standing an excellent chance of admittance into multiple schools.

Just my .02!
Thanks for the advice! I honestly haven't considered DO school, but I hadn't heard about osteopathic medicine until college and don't know much about it (outside of what I've heard from a few presentations). It's certainly an option, and I'll keep an open mind. I've always wanted to an MD, but I guess that could be unrealistic with the MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest the following:
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland U Beaumont
Loyola
WVU
MCW
Creighton
VCU
Albany
Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with CUSOM, all three VCOMs, ACOM, LMU, Wm Carey, both LECOMs, and KYCOM
Thanks for the response! Do you think those med schools listed (besides IS) are realistic options or more like reach schools?