cGPA 3.88, 29P

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anna24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my scores back, 29P which is better than how I did the first time I took the MCAT (28Q) but not what I was expecting. The breakdown this time was PS=8, BS= 12, VR = 9, whereas it was 10, 8, 10 the first time. My cumulative GPA is 3.88 and my science/math GPA is even higher. Also Honors.
EC's - ~2YRS Neuroscience research with an accredited institution (1 poster and 1 presentation)
~40+hrs hospital volunteering
~1 yr TA for General Biology course
~2.5yrs Registration advisor
Also currently shadowing a physician
I have already applied to certain schools in and around my state but I am beginning to worry because of my MCAT scores. Any advise would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You have nearly no ECs, apart from your research, but research based schools like high MCAT scores. Stick to the instate schools and oos privates. However, your GPA is awesome so maybe this balances out in your favor.

thank you for the feedback Masterhuang. 7 of the 10 schools I applied to are instate and nearly all private (none of them are top ten) but I have been advised to apply to more places but I am really unsure if I should because of my scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
apply to more schools. With those EC's and that MCAT score I would say apply to 10-15 more schools in your range. Here is a great site that shows medical schools that are oos friendly. A lot of the schools that are oos friendly, like elite private, ones are not for you. Apply to schools in your range.

https://www.amherst.edu/campuslife/careers/students/gradstudy/health/guide/part2/appendix

I have a 3.8/30 and I applied to 30 schools to be safe. I don't want to take any chances.

Also I think I should add that I am an NY resident

Thank you for the link fneverforget. I think I'll definitely be applying to more NY schools