Chain salary survey for new pharmacists..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do salaries look like these days for people who have been hired within this year for chains? Staff vs manager position. If possible, mention which areas of country. Confirmed offers only! Not the ones seen on Indeed.

And chain pharmacy only.. No independent please. Thanks.

Edit: I was hired for $57 an hour as a staff about 8 years ago. South East state. Just wondering what new folks are getting these days.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
$50/hr is about the average, trending down to $45/hr.

E1743DF4-68B1-44B4-AA8F-E27D305FA553.jpeg

not a new grad though

Members don't see this ad :)
Hired as a staff pharmacist at $52/hr at CVS in summer 2011 in Northern NJ. This was 9 years ago.

First year raise was 5%, second year raise was 2.75%, and third year raise was 2%.

Finished 3 years later in 2014 at $57.22. That was 6 years ago.

Just like the stock entry thread, people are telling us what they made years ago instead of today.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Lol although my offer is on hold temporarily, I was given 57/ hour. I am 2020 grad from California.

Just like the stock entry thread, people are telling us what they made years ago instead of today.
Did you expect anything different?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm +$200 on 1500 PCG shares (avg cost basis 9.99 a share) currently

• Haha
Class of '19 grad, I was hired at 53.75, given a 1.5% raise after 1 year

They still giving out $63/hr in the Slackamento area

This was the same going rate for a few noob pharmacists in 2015

We have been seeing huge turnover recently with pharmacists trying to find more "secure" jobs outside retail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Purpose of this thread is to help everyone out. What if experienced pharmacists such as myself get laid off tomorrow and have to find a new job? How much would I get? I don’t know the new trends. So, having some idea wouldn’t hurt.

And there is no point in not revealing your salaries. Everyone who works in this field knows what we make. And we post on anonymous account so it’s not like we can be identified. Physicians openly talk about their salary (check out their forums).

Why do we act like little b!tches?

Reactions: 5 users
Purpose of this thread is to help everyone out. What if experienced pharmacists such as myself get laid off tomorrow and have to find a new job? How much would I get? I don’t know the new trends. So, having some idea wouldn’t hurt.

And there is no point in not revealing your salaries. Everyone who works in this field knows what we make. And we post on anonymous account so it’s not like we can be identified. Physicians openly talk about their salary (check out their forums).

Like I said in my since moderator edited post, there aren't very many people left here.

South East PA/Northern Delware/South Jersey is $46/h at Walgreens and $51/h for CVS.

Currently ~20 open shifts at Walgreens in my area over the next 3 days because no one is taking a $5/h haircut to work at the arguably worse company.

South East PA/Northern Delware/South Jersey is $46/h at Walgreens and $51/h for CVS.

How come such a big discrepancy between two chains? Historically, difference has been off by dollar or two at max.

How come such a big discrepancy between two chains? Historically, difference has been off by dollar or two at max.

CVS has just probably not caught up (down?) yet. Amazing to me that anyone would currently choose to enroll in pharmacy school with the combination of high tuition, low wages and poor working conditions.

Reactions: 7 users
I don't have an issue discussing current hiring trends but posting 10 year old salary is weak. Plus drops in starting salary, even with exp in the field, have been covered extensively.

You are looking at low 50s for CVS, and I am speaking from experience.

Walgreens is trying to set the market. Up until maybe last year you would have been 100% correct in the pay being off by about $2/h between the two companies, with CVS paying the extra $2. Actually, up until about March 2020 you would have been right since Walgreens was at ~$49/h then. I recently helped a store manager do RPH interviews for my area and all the paper work said $49/h but we were called by the Area Healthcare Supervisor (kind of like an RPH DM but of about 70 stores) and told the rate was actually $46/h now and we had to call back the candidates and let them know we gave them the wrong payrate. Of the 5 pharmacists that had pretty much verbally committed to the original offer only 1 actually stayed after we called them back to explain "our mistake". The four who rescinded their commitment all said (paraphrased) "CVS is paying $5 more an hour and guaranteeing 30h/week, why would I sign with you now?" Only like half our grad interns stayed on too, with a bunch jumping ship to RiteAid/CVS. Even at only 30h/week we are talking almost $8000 a year in lost salary for the opportunity to work for WAGs over the other two.

Needless to say I will not be helping with interviews again after they made me look like an unprofessional jackass who bait n switched a bunch of my peers.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users

Pharmaciy is filled with all B's. The most egotistical and most prideful. I know some pill counters who think they are medical doctors in the retail setting. That is why this field is on a downward spiral.

You are looking at low 50s for CVS, and I am speaking from experience.

Yes, <$50 is what i am hearing from everyone in Cali in retail. Every 3 month that passes means a drop in the figure. $60 for independents in other states, but this will drop as soon as the other states catch wind. Why pay more when you can get cheap labor at every corner? Plus this saving in wages will look mint on the balance sheet.

CVS has just probably not caught up (down?) yet. Amazing to me that anyone would currently choose to enroll in pharmacy school with the combination of high tuition, low wages and poor working conditions.
They dropped pay dramatically in California this year. I was talking to last year grad and we have like 5 dollar pay gap.

I am more interested as to what he bottom will be. Venture a guess?
$50-60k/year. I think that's about how much a pharmacist is worth. Just high enough to differentiate from a pharmacy technician but lower than a RN/PA.

CVS has just probably not caught up (down?) yet.

Or may be working conditions at three letter are so poor compared to elsewhere that no one would be willing to work there for that salary and they know it too?

Just a thought.

Please don’t derail the thread.. I am not interested in what pharmacists are actually “worth” or what the bottom will be.

The thread only addresses one concern: current salaries for newly hired or experienced rphs who have jumped the ship. Thanks

On that note, I'm curious if there are any chain retail DMs or higher ups/corporate retail pharmacists on this sub that can provide some insight into whether there indeed is a conspiracy to pump out as many grads as possible to lower salaries. Seems like most pharmacists on this sub are manager-level or lower (if an RxM is even considered a manager) but there's got to be director-levels or above, no?

On that note, I'm curious if there are any chain retail DMs or higher ups/corporate retail pharmacists on this sub that can provide some insight into whether there indeed is a conspiracy to pump out as many grads as possible to lower salaries. Seems like most pharmacists on this sub are manager-level or lower (if an RxM is even considered a manager) but there's got to be director-levels or above, no?

That would be career suicide. Even if someone claimed to be at that level and confirmed what you wanted them to confirm I would be EXTREMELY skeptical of that claim.

• Haha
That would be career suicide. Even if someone claimed to be at that level and confirmed what you wanted them to confirm I would be EXTREMELY skeptical of that claim.
But this is an "anonymous" forum, no?

There is Walgreens DM on reddit.. I have read some of his/ her posts. Pretty honest about what’s going on tbh.

DMs are just messengers for the company. They have no real power on deciding which direction the company is taking.

Please don’t derail the thread.. I am not interested in what pharmacists are actually “worth” or what the bottom will be.

The thread only addresses one concern: current salaries for newly hired or experienced rphs who have jumped the ship. Thanks

I am interested. The threads on this forum start out with one topic and organically change direction. I am going to guess the bottom will be in the 30 dollar an hour range before applicants start walking away.

I am interested. The threads on this forum start out with one topic and organically change direction. I am going to guess the bottom will be in the 30 dollar an hour range before applicants start walking away.

Start a new thread in that case..

I don't think there is a conspiracy. It is just colleges are greedy and looking for more profits so they thought it is a good idea to start a pharmacy program. There was a pharmacist shortage years ago so they tried to fix that. Now, there is a big issue with pharmacist overload.

Yes, <$50 is what i am hearing from everyone in Cali in retail. Every 3 month that passes means a drop in the figure. $60 for independents in other states, but this will drop as soon as the other states catch wind. Why pay more when you can get cheap labor at every corner? Plus this saving in wages will look mint on the balance sheet.

< $50 for chains in California is horrid esp when you compare to Kaiser outpt making nearly 80/hr.

Chains can't get anyone good anyway so why not lowball.

BTW my $63/hr for new hires is not fake, nor is older pharmacists making 70+ at Walmart

$50-60k/year. I think that's about how much a pharmacist is worth. Just high enough to differentiate from a pharmacy technician but lower than a RN/PA.
Not in the Southeast. at least not in Alabama. RNs make about $27/hr and that is RN’s with experience according to my Nursing friend. PA’s and NP’s for the most part make more than a Pharmacist in my area. The Salary for the pharmacist you mentioned sounds about right in Alabama and the Southeast.

RNs can easily make over $30 an hour. I have one in family in southeast. In fact that’s the normal salary. Haven’t heard of any RN making less than $30..

RNs can easily make over $30 an hour. I have one in family in southeast. In fact that’s the normal salary. Haven’t heard of any RN making less than $30..
50-75 in CA easy.

California is an anomaly.. Or I should say west coast in general when you consider places like Seattle, Portland, Denver etc. Even with higher salaries you are sort of on a short end of the stick due to extravagant COL..

Dialysis nurses and ICU nurses make less than $30/hr in Alabama but not by much. Like $22-27/hr.

Probably med surg and family med make more. Travel nurses make most so I have heard

California is an anomaly.. Or I should say west coast in general when you consider places like Seattle, Portland, Denver etc. Even with higher salaries you are sort of on a short end of the stick due to extravagant COL..
California is where nurses (RNs) make more than any pharmacist. You are right. The state is an anomaly

Dialysis nurses and ICU nurses make less than $30/hr in Alabama but not by much. Like $22-27/hr.

Never heard of any nurse making less than $30 an hour let alone $22. Not that I care:

Never heard of any nurse making less than $30 an hour let alone $22. Not that I care:

I wouldn’t trust Glassdoor. They are incorrect with respect to pharmacy salaries. Dialysis clinics at least where I am from are cutting hours and are understaffed and one could possibly deal with incompetents nurse techs, other nurses and doctors. So very similar to retail pharmacy to an extent. ICU nurse depends on the hospital. The hospital where I am from are understaffed in pharmacy, nursing departments especially night time

Everyone says that but COL is just as high in NYC, Boston, Washington DC, Miami etc. They don't get CA wages.

Standard RN salary in my area is $24-26/hour depending on skillset and prior experience.

Add in the $3/hour nightshift diff, $5/hour weekend shift diff, and $300 bonus to picking up a 4th shift WHILE getting time 1.5x.... and they are making a $60-70k when it is all said and done if you work certain shifts and pick up a little here and there.

Everyone says that but COL is just as high in NYC, Boston, Washington DC, Miami etc. They don't get CA wages.
People are leaving California for Texas and Arizona.